Advice for a poorly liver :-(

Options
jennylynn
jennylynn Member Posts: 101
edited 26. Mar 2011, 20:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

been back to wrightington today for the monthly bloods etc. My liver function test was a little on the abnormal side so had new bloods done today and going back in two weeks. Has anyone else had any liver probs? and recommendations of foods that may regenerate it or make it less poorly? i know the liver can recover itself to a point, dont really want to stop the trial as it is making a difference :sad:

Also, any Meth takers develeoped any bony nodules anywhere? got a growth on the middle joint of my second toe (right foot), its not painful but really sticks out. the rheumy nurse said it might be a meth side effect, just wonderered if anyone else had heard of it?

blasted arthur is always finding new ways to catch me out!

Jennyx
Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Milk thistle is supposed to be good for liver cleansing etc but your meds may prohibit your taking it. I have been told categorically NOT to take anything like that (I am on meth, sulph, humira and oral steroids). One reason for all the blood tests is to spot any nascent liver trouble so it is good they have picked this up. I think you need to talk to your rheumatology nurse and/or consultant and see what they recommend. I did have liver trouble with enbrel but felt fine until they took me off everything. That wasn't so hot. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jenny,

Sorry to read that and maybe they can adjust things slightly to help the liver regain its function properly?

I think DD is right and ask your team what you can or cant eat to help and also if there is anything you could take to help it as well.

I had some fluctuation with the liver back along but it sort of self righted with a leave off of drugs for a couple of weeks. I really hope your second test will show its a lot better. Cris x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Jenny
    I go to Wrightington...are you nearby...Im sorry I can't help with your question, but like the others have said, do see you GP or consultant and see what they say.
    I have had high readings for my kidneys, but now they are on the way down and I am not doing anything different, so hopefully your liver will do the same.
    Sorry Im not being much help, please let us know how you get on.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Avoid alcohol as this affects your liver function reading. Not on the same drugs but my tablets leave my liver function reading higher than normal and if i have an alcoholic drink before a blood test it goes up. I am sure they will tell what you can do.
  • jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks everyone, fingers crossed the liver can sort itself out, I am officially teetotal now - you cant really muck about with your internal organs can you? hopefully get my bloods back and see some improvement. i will definitely speak to the rheumy team and see if they can recommend anything. I'll let you know if they get better or worse!

Thanks for the advice.
    Barbara12 - wrightington is lovely isnt it? i'm just outside chorley so not too far away from there. Lovely staff and now that ward 4 has been spruced up its a real gem! I really like going there, will be devastated if they move the department.

Jennyx
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Hi Jenny

I had my hip replacement at wrightington last may and thought it was a lovely hospital too..it's a long way for me to travel, so I don't go there for rheumatology though.

I am on methotrexate for my RA and have had just one blip with raised liver enzymes in the 3 years I have been taking it I stopped the drug for one week and had more blood tests and the enzymes went back to normal very quickly. I rarely drink alcohol .. Perhaps 2 small glasses of wine a month!!

Marion