Comfortable Shoes!

Options
harebell2
harebell2 Member Posts: 6
edited 31. May 2012, 14:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anybody help please. I live in Essex and my 2 lovely daughters bought me Mephisto sandals and clogs for my birthday but I had to return them as I need fitting. The on line store they bought from is in Yorkshire and before I venture up north, does anybody know of a shoe shop that will have a good selection of non-granny type shoes like mephisto. Thanks - I will be grateful for any replies.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have never heard of Mephisto but I have heard of google. Would that help? There are numerous threads about shoes on here and the young persons' forum, Sketchers seem to be popular. I hope you can find something you like. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Fellow Essex poster here. :)

My mum had a bunion op in the autumn so needs good, supportive shoes now. She got some from Clarks but has just discovered Hotter Shoes - http://www.hottershoes.com/ - they are online only, but if you get them to send you a catalogue they send a size guide with it. It's a piece of paper you put your foot on to see your shoe size (they do half sizes) and you also have to measure around your foot to find out if you're normal/wide fit. Any chance this would work for you?

Some of the styles are a bit granny like but they have some cute shoes too. Mum signed me up for a catalogue as they do new customer discounts and I'm tempted to get some shoes as the ones she got are really good quality and I'm limited to flat, supportive shoes due to toe joint pain.

If you can only get shoes from a physical shop where you can be fitted, Clarks do a wide comfort range. Ecco are also very good and might be worth a look. Ecco don't have any Essex stores of their own but are stocked in various local shoe shops, see http://www.ecco.com/gb/en/storelocator/
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi harebell2

we have hotter shops ....in sheffield meadowall and in york city centre.

I haven't heard of the other shoes you mentioned will have to google that one.

other shoes that may be comfortable are pavers ... they have shops in the outlet shops in york castleford and doncaster.

hope that helps

juliepf x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I live in Norfolk and our local shops sell Hotter, also another make I've bought with a German type name, a long word beginning with W........ can't remember the name as its difficult to say!!! :oops:

These are private, old fashioned shops, they are very good and will order colours and sizes they don't have from the catalouge they keep. I've found that the main problem with the chain stores, even the really expensive ones, don't seem to carry other makes, only their own and the assisstants are less experienced. I live in Wymondham, South Norfolk.

Oh, the last pair I had were in the sale at half price!!! :grin:
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I always wear Hotters but as they are expensive average is £60 a pair try on ebay I have brought all BNIB sandles shoes etc now I have around 8 pair all for around £10 a pair my mums also got them, there is a shoe called Padders that are similar and slighlty cheaper then Hotters michelle
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Pavers are comfy, they sell them on ideal world, wide fitting, EEE
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    Options
    I do no mephisto shoes are one of the quality brands sold in germany and I have had a pair in the past and found them very very comfortable. I dont however know about the ladies styling. the do do quite a large range though.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi

Try the old ebay you never know...I justed got a pair of padders slippers for my mum on there which retial at £20 and i paid £15.....Padders do wide fittings and are comfy, so mum says...she bought the slippers initially for my sister who was hopsitalised and couldnt wear any shoes at all (they have a velcro style on them).....
    I live near the K Village, another tip too is if youre near a T K Maxx they do get styles such as Ecco, Padders and Hotters in there too discounted...

Good Luck

Elainex

Ps....Just looked on ebay and Mephisto are on there, sandals and shoes and looking at styles id say hotter and padders would be an option too for you to explore...

bobbyger wrote:
    I do no mephisto shoes are one of the quality brands sold in germany and I have had a pair in the past and found them very very comfortable. I dont however know about the ladies styling. the do do quite a large range though.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi, I go to brantarnos, and they sell all types of shoe makers, they are great for me as I need shoes that stretch cause of my feet swelling. Most of the times I buy 'streachers' as they are good but the shop assistant introduced me to 'rocket dogs' :shock: they are like wearing your slippers outside they are so comfy and feel great even when my feet swell! They have an online site as well just goggle rocket dog. They do boots as well!!
  • donnas
    donnas Member Posts: 119
    Options
    I go for hiking shoes and doc martens (some of the lighter ones are fine).
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hotter shoes aren't just online. I get a catalogue sent out regularly, with a fitting sheet and I you can telephone orders to them.I've recently spoke to them on the phone(but not to order).
    I have just bought two pairs of Alegria shoes which have soft heels and extra wide toe area. They come in a range of funky patterns and colours-definately not granny shoes.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • donnas
    donnas Member Posts: 119
    Options
    My podiatrist recommended trainers (I need to restrict movement a bit in my big toe to reduce pain), Salomon and MBTs or their cheaper equivalents. I think some of those might be too narrow, but once I'm feeling a bit more alive after this flare dies down I'm pondering them. Shoe shopping is a disappointing trial for me as none of them ever seem to work and it's even harder since I had a steroid injecting into my big toe which just made things much more painful.
  • Nellyphant
    Nellyphant Member Posts: 27
    Options
    I've just bought some Alegria (make) Paloma (style) shoes and they are sooooo comfortable. They come in funky colours and pattern designs and have other styles such as sandals. Have a google. I thoroughly recommend them.
  • Nellyphant
    Nellyphant Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Nellyphant wrote:
    I've just bought some Alegria (make) Paloma (style) shoes and they are sooooo comfortable. They come in funky colours and pattern designs and have other styles such as sandals. Have a google. I thoroughly recommend them.

Hi Nellyphant

I've got the Seville style in the Alegria shoes, and yep, they are the best shoes I've ever worn, arthritis or not!!! I've had mine a few weeks now, and they've never been off my feet :oops: Well, apart from going to bed :lol::lol: I decided if I'm going to have to wear "comfortable", shoes, then I'll make a statement of them. They are gorgeous, aren't they? Maybe if more people buy them (that's 3 of us on this thread), they'll import more, and sell them cheaper :wink:

Lynn xxx

Cheaper would be good, but seeing as they are about the same price as Clarks the price isn't bad and much, much funkier!

Did you have to get a size smaller? It was recommened on the Ebay store I got mine from and they were right. Thinking about some sandals next and want to make sure I get the right size. There isn't anywhere near here I can try them on so I have to order online. Maybe the mariposa sandal in the soft pewter as it's a colour that will go with everything.
  • Rictina
    Rictina Member Posts: 95
    Options
    Nellyphant wrote:

Hi Nellyphant

I've got the Seville style in the Alegria shoes, and yep, they are the best shoes I've ever worn, arthritis or not!!! I've had mine a few weeks now, and they've never been off my feet :oops: Well, apart from going to bed :lol::lol: I decided if I'm going to have to wear "comfortable", shoes, then I'll make a statement of them. They are gorgeous, aren't they? Maybe if more people buy them (that's 3 of us on this thread), they'll import more, and sell them cheaper :wink:

Lynn xxx

Love the Alegria shoes, they are well funky :-)
    Live the dream not dream the life.

sfsf.jpg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    I'm off to have a peek....

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I bought a felise 'peace' pair in size 5 and felise red patent size 6 and they both feel good. The problem for me is the height of the bone on my foot which rubs where the shoe fits across the front (sorry hard to describe). This area still catches. and I have ankle issues and a fusion due.

I got mine cheaper off e bay.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Hotter shoes aren't just online. I get a catalogue sent out regularly, with a fitting sheet and I you can telephone orders to them.I've recently spoke to them on the phone(but not to order).
    I have just bought two pairs of Alegria shoes which have soft heels and extra wide toe area. They come in a range of funky patterns and colours-definately not granny shoes.

Elizabeth

I had a catalouge sent me yesterday, they have a sale on and its quite good. Love Sue
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    I bought 2 pair of Hotters recently online but from the clearance range on the hotter site they we £29 each and it seems that certain sizes in certain colours are in there. I was lucky with my size and the styles we good and i find them very comfy.

Tracey
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I've bought a number of pairs of Hotters (though what do I know about fashion being a mere male!).
    I like them because they don't look old fasioned,but also for a number of other reasons,they have a generous width,the inside is well cushioned and soft and love the velcro fastening this makes it so quick and easy to adjust if out and the ankle starts to swell,also they are well made.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi

I love my Brasher walking shoes and boots, they are really light and very comfy to wear, I don't know how I would have managed without them.

debs
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Medissa shoe go up to EE if that's any help. They are in Morley near Leeds, also have a web site. They have a sale on now but shoes are very expensive. Shame I no longer fit them as they do have some nice comfy ones.
    Vonski
  • anniek
    anniek Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi ,just ordered a pair of alegria slip on clogs cant wait for them to arrive with recent surgery to my foot I need something comfy ,I ordered a size 6 before I noticed it said to get a size smaller but I put a note in to ask if the sizes were much bigger to send a 5 ,thanks for the tip ,Anne
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    bumped up for those needing comfy and pretty shoes :D

Toni xxx