been referred to hydro again

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 23. Mar 2011, 19:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I went to physio again today. She said she thinks I am getting more strength in my legs but as I still have a lot of pain and muscle weakness she is referring me more hydrotherapy. I have had this before to strengthen my lower back and found it really good. Unfortunately my BP was up today so I have to get it checked by my GP before I can start the hydro.
I also mentioned about my problem with my stick due to arthur in my hands. She has given me a new stick to try with a chunkier handle. So i will see how it goes.
I have had a bad week with pain in my hips back and my knees are joining in too! I am thinking of asking the GP about my meds as I am needing to take more in between stuff.
Hope everyone is doing ok .
NB

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear NB, one step forwards but a few more back, what a palaver. Hopefully the hydro will help with the BP too - no wonder it was up, you were having physio, probably in some discomfort and being sorted a new stick, that's enough to raise anyone's BP. I take it that the more you are 'needing in between stuff' is pain dullers - there are all sorts out there so hopefully you can find summat better. I wish you well and good luck with the hydro. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi NB
    Im so sorry you are suffering, the hydro sounds good though, I dont know if we have such a thing here.
    Its so important to build muscle, then it can support your joints, I do hope you get some extra meds to help you through.
    Let us know how you get on
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi nearly,

I am sorry you have had a bad week and it might be that that's made the bp go up? pain can alone can't it?

maybe a drugs change would help you for now actually? I hope you will find the new stick helps to make it easier to use and the bp will be fine so you can get the hydro. Fingers crossed flower. (((( )))) Cris xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    HI Nearlybionic, that sounds a mixed bag.

Increasing strength is positive, though the pain is not. More hydro would be great, but the BP is a set back. I dont remember them taking my BP before hydro in the past, wonder if that is a new thing? There are lots of different handles for sticks, hope you find one that helps and that as your leg gets stronger you rely on it yet. Make sure you aren't gripping it too tightly - as that can aggravate your hand.

I can sympathise with the knees - mine are giving me jip too and my right knee on my new hip side is swollen and very chunky looking this week. Meds to enable you to keep at the physio and strengthen the muscles would be no bad thing.

SPeedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi and thanks DD, Cris, Speedy and Barbara
    I too feel it is a bit one step forward 2 steps back at times and get frustrated as I am trying to do `normal` things especially at work. . I`m finding mornings a struggle with pain and stiffness but it eases a little middle of the day , but then it kicks in again in the evenings. I would love to feel that I had a pain free day once in a while but thats not life with arthur is it?!
    I have had hydro before and to be honest I can`t remember having my BP checked last time, but my memory is rubbish these days, sleep deprivation etc.... :roll:
    i have to take my daughter to see the GP tomorrow eve so will try to make an appointment for myself to discuss meds, BP etc..
    I do get fed up of talking to them about my problems, I always think they must get bored of listening, I know I do!!
    Thanks for your support xx It is really appreciated.
    NB
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Hi NB
    I am having hydro at the moment and didn't have my BP taken before I started. I also have a new stick - has a fischer handle and so far so good not having any problems with it at all.
    Cath
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi NB, I hope the new stick helps. I wish we had hydro, we used to in the old hospital then they pulled part of it down re built it and took away the hydro??? I would love to try it

Love Hileena
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I find hydro wonderful, as I know you will again, once your blood pressures down. Meanwhile you could always move your legs gently in the bath - only gently though we don't want a tidal wave NB :shock: :grin:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'