HELP.....Anyone get recurring UTI's when taking Humira jabs

Options
tamnwill
tamnwill Member Posts: 93
edited 25. Mar 2011, 10:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
:?: I'm so desperate, I'm on my 6th antibiotic this month for recurring UTI, I also had ESBL (super bug) god knows where I got that from! which needed iv antibiotics in hospital for 7 days............Now rheumy nurse says to stop taking my Humria, as it may be causing the problem...........(I've been on it for 18 month and my CRP (inflammation) levels have gone from 138 to 1, so needless to say, I'm now terrified all the inflammation and pain throughout my body will return. Has anyone else experienced this whilst taking immune suppressants please? What was the outcome? Just when life was getting better, I feel I've been pushed down and kicked again!
Desperately sad.
Energy is eternal delight.
William Blake (1757-1827)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tam,

Sorry i can't help you but just wanted to say i am sorry your experiencing this one and hope they will come up with some kind of treatment that will work and a new drug to help control the bones. Leaving a ((( ))) and a hope. Cris x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Tam,

I can't help either as I'm not on Humira but want to say try not to panic often you can have other drugs to tide you over - have you asked your Rheumy Nurse or even Rheumy whether they can help you with something else?
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have been on humira since July 09 and not had any difficulties like yours. We are all different in how we react to these things and someone else posted about this self-same thing a while ago so you are not alone in this. I hope you can find another anti TNF that is as effective at controlling your markers but without the UTIs. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I don't know about Humira, but I do know about UTI's! I have OA, so don't take the biologics but, I do get UTI's quite a lot. Sometimes, the UTI does't get rid of the infection as the infection is resistant to it. Has your doctor sent a speciman to the hospital lab to be tested? I had to have this done as my GP tried 2 different antibiotics and niether worked. So, she sent the speciman off and a few days latter phoned to say that the result showed the infection reacted to a certain antibiotic and to go and get the prescription. It worked!
    Sometimes, too you need a longer course than usual to kill it off. It does seem, too, that once you've had a uti it comes back when you are physically low. I looked after the elderly before OA and we used to have people like that. Its women that tend to get it most, too! :roll: Hope you and your GP can sort it our and you soon feel better. It does drag you down I know! Love Suexxx