Toenails!

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 26. Mar 2011, 11:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
If you have arthritis in your feet, what do you toenails look like? Over about 5yrs or so, my toe nails have changed. Like some of my finger-nails, there is ridging present. Recently, my big toe-nails have turned yellowish in colour and became very, very thick. They don't look like they're attached to the toe :eek:
Magenta x

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Eileen,

There are so many things that can influence how your nails are ranging from time out side to really serious problems. Mine are effected by at least 3 things and the gp was kinda saying it would be hard to tell which one was doing what back along. Bit easier to tell wen one is certainly in the driving seat i guess.

The ridges depends on what kind and which way they run, how pronounced and how wide the bits are.

Tis difficult to say but mine have been effected to a degree by the pa but also by being ripped off, stood on, removed, and numerous other things so its kinda hard to say.

next time you see someone about the bone thing ask them if they think it helps towards a diagnosis maybe? Leaving you a (((( )))) Cris xx
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Nails that thicken and go yellow usually means a fungal infection of some kind or so my practice nurse says..
    I have arthritic toes and my nails are just the same as they have always been... maybe you could ask your GP if it is fungal..
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Magenta,

My fingernails have been ridged since I was a child and probably my toenails too, but not as pronounced.

I have one particular thick toenail and I think this has happened because whenever I walk more than it wants me to it becomes black and eventually falls off , each time it grows back it's thicker than before. :shock: I put it down to the fact it keeps getting injured.

My fingernails have to be kept short because they're quite bendy and tear easily.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • magenta
    Options
    Hiya,
    I hate talking about toe-nails, makes me retch! I don't have a fungal infection. They just look like old peoples toes :grin:
    Magenta x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I hate toe nails too, but it does sound as if you may have an infection, the chemist might be able to sell you something but, the stronger stuff, you need a prescription for. I've just had an infection on 2 fingers, which made my fingers look as if I had smoked 60 a day and I don't smoke at all! I tried several things you can buy, caniston, then hydrocortisone cream, but nothing happend. So when I was at the doctors, I showed her and I have some strong cream, which started working straight away! I can sympathise with not likeing them, though. As a care worker, I have done all sorts, but I wouldn't touch toes!
    Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Oooh Eileen!

I will try not to join in with you heaving!!!

get 'em checked out lovely all being well it will be fungla my stepdaughter had a fungal nail infection - nothing other than thick old peoples toenails obvious and a manky colour to them as ui remember and the grew slower too. She saw the doc and had to have oral meds in 3-6 months the lovely new nails grew in form the base - well-exiting that was!!!!

Love

toni xx
  • magenta
    Options
    Hiya,
    I'll make another appointment with doc :roll:
    Eileen x
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    Options
    Hi Magenta,
    toenails and fingernails are one of the symptoms that people with PA have,the nails can be ridged,discoloured and look like they are coming away from the toe,ive noticed my toe nails are going a yellow colour and look odd but i dont have PA so ive hesitated to mention it to my rheaumy nurse but i think i will now just in casexxx
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Katnapp,
    I've only just noticed that my toe-nails on my big toes are very ridged. My finger-nails, especially thumbs have always had ridges on them-vertical ones but my toe-nails are VERY ridged and they have horizontal ridges!
    If I ever make it back to rheumy, I'll tell them.
    Magenta x