OA of the hips

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 31. Mar 2011, 10:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all now a quick question, what are the warning signs of the onset of OA of the hips?. I'm not talking serious pain so much as odd discomfort especially when sitting down late evening or at night when trying to kip, oh and first thing in the morning when still in bed.

Comments

• daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That about covers the start Mell.
    take care
    xx
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    I have O/A in lots of joints including both hips having one THR in the left.. early signs were pain in my groin and back, the hip became stiffer and less mobile (one test my physio did was to lie on my back , slide my feet towards my bum and then drop the knees ) she said she could tell my ROM was seriously impaired in both joints as I couldn't drop my knees very far down. When my O/A was advanced I had resting pain but my pain/stiffness was always at its worst on waking for around half an hour and if I overdid things... sorry if you are suffering..
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Thanks for the replies,I just ask as last night I was sitting down watching TV and got this feeli like a thumb or finger was pushing in the back lower part of both hips, I also got a feeling of tighness in what seemed to be a ligament on the outer thigh at the top just down from the hip,it was noticable and slightly uncomfortable but the thing is I get thigh discomfort and stiffness in the mornings,this use to be stiffness in the lower thigh and aching but I have OA of both kneecaps, this doesn't seem to happen today but I am on different pain meds.
    However that said I don't get aching in the hips when I am mobile so not sure what is going on I suffer from neuropathic pain so wonder if it is just feedback from this who knows!?.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Mel,

Its possible its to do with the med change and you have been either less or more active on the pregabs? I would ask next time you go in for something else though but early onset i think mine felt like that especially at night when laid on one side.

Whats your new tablets like? Sorry you couldn't take the others. Hope the sun is up that way and got a job for the two dogs if they are about :wink: Cris xx
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    The thing that surprised me was that most of the pain was in the left side and in the end it was the right hip that was replaced :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Hi mell

please no not the hips!!!!

My MIL had knee pain with her hip!

Hope all is well

Love

Toni xx
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi all,
    Ive read this with great interest. In the morning when i wake im in agony with my back and my hips and legs, my hips feel as though they are being squashed flat! My back is so sore and stiff and my legs are as if some one shutting them in a vice. Ive never mentioned my hips to doc as i always just said my legs. After reading this though i will definately mention it to her. I dont believe ive ever had my hips scanned, lower back yes many times and pelvic. I may get some sort of complete diagnosis yet. :smile:
    Seamonkey
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Mell, does sound suspiciously like OA .... You need to ask for regular x-rays to monitor it.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Mell
    My hip pain started in my knee, referred pain, my xrays show bone on bone, but they now think that most of my pain could be coming from my back...so I am what you call confused.
    I hope you dont have OA of the hip.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi,
    I too have started getting odd pains and stiffness in my left hip :roll:
    when I wake, it's really painful and as day goes on, it becomes stiff and walking is a bit 'funny'. My hips have been clicking for months now but I also think it's OA. I won't get xrays done cos last week I asked my GP for an xray to be done on shoulders and he refused saying there was no point!!!!!
    Also, my ankles are flipping sore-they carck and it's very painful when I do it. Falling to pieces :shock:
    Magenta xxx
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Mell
    My hip pain started in my knee, referred pain, my xrays show bone on bone, but they now think that most of my pain could be coming from my back...so I am what you call confused.
    I hope you dont have OA of the hip.
    Barbara x

I'd be very confused too. If your knee is bone on bone as shown by the x-ray how can they now think pain is from your back? Barbara, seriously I'd want to go back and ask them to explain how a bone on bone knee's pain is caused by your back.
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • mudie68
    mudie68 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Barbara, What they mean is the problem is probably in your spine causing you to walk out of alighnment this then causes pains in your lower joints over the years and in time wears down a paticular joint. I have arthritis in all my lower joints due to having spinal problems since birth. It just means your not walking straight upright but slightly one way or the other; this causes wear on joints, hips, knees etc. and basically it's really the spine that is originally at fault. It's me to a 'T'.

Ron.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    mudie68 wrote:
    Barbara, What they mean is the problem is probably in your spine causing you to walk out of alighnment this then causes pains in your lower joints over the years and in time wears down a paticular joint. I have arthritis in all my lower joints due to having spinal problems since birth. It just means your not walking straight upright but slightly one way or the other; this causes wear on joints, hips, knees etc. and basically it's really the spine that is originally at fault. It's me to a 'T'.

Ron.
    Thankyou for that Ron, nobody has said this to me, but it does makes sense,I go for a mri scan on Monday so hopefully things will be a bit clearer
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara