Dealing with other Doctors that are not your regular!!

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 24. Mar 2011, 13:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I hope someone else has had the same problem I came across yesterday! Do you always try to stick to your regular doctor who understands you and the way your illness effects you! :| And that you hate having to deal with another docotor when yours is not available! :x
Well yesterday I needed to arrange another pescription of oromorph because mine was about run out, so rang doc's reception desk asked for my doctor to call so I could arrange, oh no my doctor isn't in surgery that afternoon could only arrange another docotor to call and sort pescription! :eek: Well the doctor called explained the position and that my doctor and I had my pain manangement sorted with the meds I listed off and this other docotor pretty much slaged my doctor off and told me she was wrong to have pescribed all the meds she had! Well I was gob smacked and she just said well I will give you the minimum amount of oromorph and arrange the doctor to call you and the pair of you sort it out! And she put the phone down on me! I was mortified! How dare she slag off another doctor in their practice! She didn't know everything my doctor & I had been through! Has anyone else come across anything like that before? I would be intrested to hear if they have! :shock:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My GPs' practice has about fourteen doctors in it and I rarely see the same one consecutively. As a patient one is at the mercy of what basically amounts to a personal view of your situation: OK, this other doctor may well have dealt with you as her patient in a different way to your usual one but no, she should not have been rude about a fellow professional's treatment of you and yes, she has probably done the right thing in giving you the minumum amount until you can see your own GP. Now you know which day of the week your usual doc has off you now know to ring on a different day. (My favourite doc has Thursdays off, nice life if you can get it, no?)

I don't mind who I deal with, I am the same with everyone, even the GP who has had a personality by-pass (tho my heart does sink when the receptionist tells me 'Oh yes, Dr ** can see you at 4pm.' I know why he is always free. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Bubbadog,

Its not an easy one and as DD said it comes down to their personal thing as well as knowledge of you and your history.

I am lucky cus I had such bad doctors for so long the 2 consultants that deal with me bones took over the management and pain relief side and wrote to say this is what i have put her on and you will not change it without my consent....

Got new doctors but the 2 consultants weren't willing to chance they would be any different cus some of it comes down to costs.

Maybe that's something you could do as the gp's are very unlikely to mess with the meds if a consultant has put them there.

See what you can arrange with your normal gp cus you need it to be sorted really cus you don't need more stress. Cris x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i belong to big practice but always try to see same doc it much easyer she knows me and listens to what have to say with out making me feel i am trying to pull wool over her eyes that some of them do she great with meds even gave me ibuprophen on prescription as i get pre paid card bless her . waited two weeks to see her this time but was worth it hse great val
    val