disastrous afternoon

Options
cthornley
cthornley Member Posts: 627
edited 26. Mar 2011, 11:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
My son's nursery was off for a 'training day'
So me and his best friends mum (who also works with me) both decided as we had an enforced day off that we would take them out for the afternoon

It all started off well at soft play, they were ecstatically happy to see each other, racing all over the place jumping on the trampoline, throwing the balls around sliding down the slide.
Then I heard my son crying at the far end, I went to investigate as the 2 kids were racing to find me....next thing my friends little girl when flying landing awkwardly
I raced over and she clearly had broken her arm very badly (it was at right angles half way up the bone :eek: ), she was screaming, my son was screaming
I carried her out to her mum whilst trying to check at the same time that my son had no real damage
The leisure centre staff were useless and had to be screamed at by me to call an ambulance. the emergency services suggested that if somebody could drive her that it would be quicker if they take her directly.
I shouted at her to jump in my car and just said to the centre staff that I would come back and fill out the accident form when I'd taken them there and whisked everybody off the a& E with her shouting directions over 2 screaming kids at me (I don't really know sunderland very well)
dropped her off at the doors , sorted out the stupid parking (outside accident and emergency its v.v. pay and display ....um i dunno how long my accident is going to take to sort!!!!!) and checked my son over in the car park (bruises and shaken only although he kept insisting he's broken his chin like hannah :roll: )
Went in to find out how things were, drop off her stuff and get hold of the rest of her family for her mum.
I then left with assurances that they would call me as soon as they know how she is, as my parking was running out (i'd only had £5 in change = 2hr :shock: ) and went back to go through it all with the leisure centre staff

my son was fab throughout the whole thing as soon as he'd calmed down and started to believe me that she'd be alright and dr.'s like daddy will fix her - but its a lot to take in when you're only 2

I'm just very glad that he's ok and am hoping that his little friend is ok, now all the drama is over I'm shattered and just want to cry (which sounds daft)
so all in all not a great afternoon
:sad:
Chrissie

Comments

• coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Chrissie
    what an afternoon youve endured, but you did great so should be proud of your self. im glad your lttle one is ok and the little girl will get seen to promptly because of you, you will feel wiped out and tearful now as its the shock setting in,(the adrenaling has worn off) but that is normal and not at all daft.

massive hugs to you and well done xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    No wonder you feel a little shaky and wobbly, you did all the right things and I hope your friend's daughter is OK (and your friend too). I hope The Cardiologist shows some empathy and gives you a great big cuddle. Faint hope on that last one? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    What a nightmare, Chrissie :shock: It's dreadful that the leisure centre staff were so useless as surely they are trained to deal with emergencies :?: When you have recovered from your ordeal, I think you should report this to the management. If there was a serious accident, minutes can count, so the staff should know exactly what to do without being told. I'm also very surprised that the emergency services didn't send an ambulance. In such an accident, there could be other injuries which might not be noticed, so it could be dangerous to move the child.

You coped extremely well in the circumstances, and you must be very proud of your little boy for staying calm when he was bruised and shaken himself. I hope that your friend's little girl will make a good recovery, and that you are feeling better now that you are safely home again.

Have a stiff drink and put your feet up tonight :!: :grin:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • cthornley
    Options
    Thanks everybody

Have just got a txt from the little girls mum... she's completely snapped both bones and is now on morphine and in a temporary splint, being kept in over night to go in to surgery tomorrow at 9am... poor little thing

Hubby says that he was surprised they didn't send an ambulance - he thinks they should of especially with a 2yr old with a clear fracture, he also says that she was very very unlucky as its unusual for little ones to completely snap through :shock: I will be making a formal complaint to the leisure centre even if its just to make sure they are better prepared next time something happens there

My little one is still a little traumatised and every now and then keeps suddenly wanting to see her and check that she's alright screaming and crying "wheres hannah?" . I think its going to be a night of cuddles and treats for him ( and cuddles and gin for me)

Chrissie
  • cthornley
    Options
    Thanks everybody

Have just got a txt from the little girls mum... she's completely snapped both bones and is now on morphine and in a temporary splint, being kept in over night to go in to surgery tomorrow at 9am... poor little thing

Hubby says that he was surprised they didn't send an ambulance - he thinks they should of especially with a 2yr old with a clear fracture, he also says that she was very very unlucky as its unusual for little ones to completely snap through :shock: I will be making a formal complaint to the leisure centre even if its just to make sure they are better prepared next time something happens there

My little one is still a little traumatised and every now and then keeps suddenly wanting to see her and check that she's alright screaming and crying "wheres hannah?" . I think its going to be a night of cuddles and treats for him ( and cuddles and gin for me)

Chrissie
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh poor little thing, what a shock for everyone. Cuddles and gin sounds like a good plan to me. And a take-away. Take care. DD
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    Options
    What a horrible experience for you both! i dont blame you making a complaint those precious minutes where the staff divvered could have been a childs life so your right to make an issue of it,go and get a couple of gins inside you and hope your little boy settles downxxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    there should have been a trained first aider i can not belive they would be allowed to run something like this with out one and to be honest they would have sent an ambalance but how long would the wait have been a broken arm would not take presedence over heart probs ect so i do think taking them your self was the right thing to do but they center staff should have taken her i would have thought val
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Chrissie
    What an awful day, its one that we all dread, no wonder you just came home and cried...that is all the emotions pouring out.
    Its disgusting ti say the least that the leisure centre were useless, these places have to have first aiders or there insurance could be void.
    You did so well to get them to hospital, and I do hope the little girls arm will heal ok.
    You take care and try and get some rest.
    Love and loads of hugs (((((()))))
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Oh Chrissie what an awful thing to happen and poor little girl as her accident sounds horrific. But well done for getting her to hospital. I hope they didn't make her wait to get seen,

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    What an afternoon you have had BUT WELL DONE YOU. What a star.
    Gone on have a cry...you have earnt it. It is shock.
    Loads of hugsXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • coco67
    Options
    how are you all today? (((())))
  • cthornley
    Options
    Spoke to the little girls mum this morning and she is starting to return to form she was bossing the nurses around when they brought her some breakfast.
    She'll be in hospital for a bit after having 2 1/2 hrs of surgery yesterday and involved metal work, they had to open her arm up and she can't go home until it stops bleeding through the cast.
    My little boy is still asking after her but has calmed down since we bought her a teddy which we have 'fixed' the arm on 'like hannah'
    And made her a get well card

I don't think I'm ever going to forget her scream or seeing her fall but no longer feeling shaky, and feeling very thankful it's not my kiddy.

Thanks for everybody's kind wishes
    Chrissie
  • coco67
    Options
    im glad you and little man are ok, And little lady is getting better, another few days and she will be running around agin like nothing happened cast anall. scaring the heck out of everyone around her.

hugs to little man and a hug for you, well done x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thanks for the update, poor little thing, she must have done some serious damage. I hope it all knits as it should. DD
  • joann1
    joann1 Member Posts: 263
    Options
    Ahh what a heck of a few days you have had, hope you all ok now, hope the poor little girl manages to get out of hospital soon it no fun for adults so can be extra boring for little ones (my sister is a staff nurse on the childrens ward at sunderland) and said they spend a lot of time trying to keep little ones occupied, make sure you make a formal complaint to the leisure centre about what happened i live in sunderland myself and have been there a few times with my sister and nephew and only recently stopped going because of practically the same reason they are quite useless really when anything happens
    Hope you are having abit better day today

Jo-Ann
    x x x
    Jo-Ann