Oh No!

Options
caterina57
caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
edited 26. Mar 2011, 05:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,
Just wanting to have a moan really -- And its strange cos I am not really a moaner!

My back is playing up again!!!!I always have some degreeof back pain but yesterday it seemed to be a bit worse. Last night it went big time and startedto spasm again which is very painful, fortunately my nephew was here so was able to let the dog out and all the other pre bed tasks. Off I went to bed popped and popped the pills but didn't sleep well at all.

This morning it is not much better and have taken some more pills --- I have to go to work this afternoon - I can't go sick again...I know if I go long term sick again they will finish me and I need the income! And I can't go to the Drs as I know he wil immediately sign me off - he wasn't really happy about me going back in the first place.

I have phoned my twister and she has told me that I have to come to terms with my disability and to stop trying to do too much. I on the other hand think I have done very little --ok have recently spent some time in the garden! But I am now a bit worried because I have the garden and house to see to as I am on my own....What if every time I do something its sets off this horrible pain? Does it mean that I am not going to be able to do anything????

Moan over!
Cath

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Cath,

Oh flower I so sympathise with you but look..... ok you know your employers are not going to wear long term sickness but at the same time unless you can take it easy you shouldn't go in....

Long ago I hurt my back and i had 3 months out from work. They got iffy so when I went back and I hurt it again i didn't go sick....

3 days later it went big time and took away my then life.... It may have gone anyway cus the oa was already there but you do have to be a bit careful with it when its kicking up....

As to your sister.... on the one hand she is right but i have never excepted the limitations the back put on me and have pushed the boundaries out as far as I possibly could..... still do 25-30 years later.....

Its the end unless you stop pushing it ..... Thing is you have to balance it and when its playing up be kind to it cus it does tend to fight back.

i got a back brace recently... kinda helps for the harder stuff.... I can pm you the details if you would like?

You getting the hydro ok? Gentle stretching can also help ease up the spasms. i know if it really locks up only getting it into a position its happy with will help but gentle stretching can pull some spasms enough to let them let up a bit.
    What ever you decide to do today just take it very easy. if work isn't going to pull you about then go but Cath if it is be very careful cus backs warn you and if you don't take heed they can really give way for a few weeks.

Not really helping am I> Sorry. (((( )))) and a anti-pain bucket. Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Cath

If I had any leave i used to take leave at this point to avoid dealing with the issue.

Secondly l used to attach one of those heat patches for teh day - they actually DO help a bit.

Thirdly maybe the garden can be made lower maintenance? I have alot of things to help me in the garden now such as my handle kneeler and pick-up sticks etc.

Finally have they a plan as regards your back?? Surgery or any other options? I don't think you will be able to 'hide' this forever :sad:

My heart goes out to you 100% as l have been there.backs are truly vile :cry:

Love

Toni xx
  • caterina57
    Options
    Thanks Cris
    I have had my bad back for 20years! (I have lumbar and cervical spondylosis)and in fairness I can usually manage it, I always have some pain and just live with it, and in the twenty years have had just a really few bad do's. However in the last year this is my 3rd bad do and they appear to be coming on average every 3 months -- just as I get better from one another strikes! I suppose its cos I am getting older the condition is getting worse and its not helping that my hips and knees want to join in as well.

My new role is not physical so I think that I will go in....Might as well be sat there and getting paid for it as to sit here! and will see how it goes --and I dont have to work tomorrow so can rest up.

I suppose its as much about me accepting limitations when it flares! I have always been fairly active and just had to make minor adaptations -- perhaps I now have to accept I will have to make major adaptations LOL

This arthur is a bugger and wants to rule my life!!! what with the back, hips, knees, wrists and hands he is doing really well! I am just going to have to get a plan together to beat him!

Hi Toni
    No there is no plan on the medical side - wont let me have physio as could compromise the spinal cord so am doing hydro at the moment. My Dr says that he will only consider surgery if I start with sciatica and even that has its risks relating to future mobility.

I have a kneeler and a very light weight lawn mower which has been a godsend in the last year. I suppose that the garden has just been a bit hard to clear all the overgrowth from the winter, normally its quite low maintenance
    Cath
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Cath,

This bone stuff is just shift eh? backs and necks are for me the worst thing every....... well..... joint favorites :lol:

Just go easy and the condition and age make it get worse as you get older I know but its a case of annoy it and pay for it till you and it work out a way that gives you what you need and it will be ok with as well....

Mine just likes to dummy spit and for that it gets botoxed and it can't actually spasm any more... no matter how much it tries....

Going to beg her to do the lumber as well though mine is very central and the back itself now a days. The brace helps but the muscles are better :wink:

Will be thinking of you and might slide in your pocket to kick you if you do anything strenuous or any sudden movements...... :wink: Cris xx
  • caterina57
    Options
    Thanks Cris
    i have been diagnosed with lumbar and cervical but todays pain is central whey hey might have got it there too!

Yes jump in my pocket to give me a kick up the nether regions from time to time ---My twister has just given me a right ear bashing on the phone.. must have deserved it though. Lol

Cath
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think you have over-done it in the garden and yes, you HAVE to go into work today. They have created this role for you and you have to be there, especially as this is only week 1. If you don't I reckon they would get rid of you pronto. And you know where you would be then.

It is so easy to get the balance of work/rest wrong. Things are feeling good, the sun is shining and you think 'Yup, I can clear all of that, no trouble.' True, you can - but the trouble turns up later in the form of payback. You have a good dose of payback today by the sounds of things but you have to fight thro it.

I do what I can around the house and stop when I think I could do more. It's the only way. The garden is a mess but that is physically way beyond me now. We get someone is from time to time to tidy and neaten, perhaps that could be an option for the future. I wish you well and good luck for this afternoon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Cath,

Will certainly be in there and will kick you if your not careful :lol: I don't have a garden.. would love a nice big formal one and well if ever plan b takes effect i will but will have to have a gardener as well :lol:

This place needs a lot of clear up too and I haven't been able to do more than one hedgerow... there are 500yards of them this side alone.....

It can wait or be done slowly flower and you do have to remember the back is there what ever you do when it gets to a certain point.....

Your sister means well. Overdoing it is something people don't get but that's cus they aren't saddled with it flower. A good day and you will push it to far but go careful at work cus i got some nice new safety trainers and am not scared to use them :lol::lol:

The sheeps are back and this time they have brought some lambs :lol: Cris xx
  • caterina57
    Options
    Hi Cris, DD & Toni

Message recieved loud and clear. I honestly did think I was taking things steady, well steadier than ususual but obviously not steady enough! DD you are so right, when you can do things you just get on with it - Now I realise I can't do what I thought I could -- I have had a warning I so I suppose I will have to take notice of it. Lesson has been learned -- I promise!

I realise I need to take care of this back of mine ---it is very fragile ...more fragile than I realised obviously!

Thanks for your help and advice

Cath
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's not an easy lesson to learn but you need to start paying attention in class and doing your homework! :smile: Good luck for this afternoon. DD
  • caterina57
    Options
    Quite funny that DD as a small child my school reports always said I needed to pay attention!
    Cath
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    caterina57 wrote:
    Quite funny that DD as a small child my school reports always said I needed to pay attention!
    Cath

Bloomin teachers eh :roll:

love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Teachers are wise and know their stuff. :grin: DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hi caterina57, I hope you survived the afternoon and are not feeling too bad now. DD
  • caterina57
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Yes I survived the afternoon and my back has completely settled down to its normal pain--- I am wondering whether something was trapped as it is very strange how it has gone back to more or less its normal pain level. However I will be a good girl from now on and try and listen to what my body is telling me.
    Thanks for all your support this morning - I was really quite worried.
    Cath
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Cath,
    I'm so relieved for you, hopefully you'll go from strength to strength at work, but take it easy in the garden :)
    Hugs Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Morning caterina57, I hope things have remained settled on the back front (?) and that you take things a little more gently over the week-end. DD
  • caterina57
    Options
    Morning DD, Poppy
    My back is ok-ish this morning, perhaps a little worse than when I went to bed last night, but certainly nothing like it was on Thursday night!
    I have absolutely no plans for today and I am not working so I am going to rest and take the pain dullers - I am not working tomorrow but will need an early night tonight as I am working in the morning and will lose an hours sleep with putting the clocks forward!

I do have a long list of jobs to do - how do I learn how to ignore them when they are staring me in the face ? perhaps later I will just potter- nothing heavy though I promise

Cath
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    They might well be staring you in the face but that doesn't mean you have to look back. Just do what you can, in small bursts with rests in-between. As the years have rolled on I have found that to be the best way. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Cath
    Sorry I am late seeing this, you have had lots of advice off the others, but I do understand the panic these spasm can cause, when I get them I always start to think is this it..... I cant do whatever.
    Im so glad its has settled down for you, you just nurse it for a few days.
    Sending you lots of hugs ((((())) to be going on with
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara