DLA withdrawn!!!

Options
Rallymad
Rallymad Member Posts: 84
edited 29. Mar 2011, 13:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi got letter from DLA saying they had received some information about my illness, were sending someone out to the house to assess me, a retired GP. He came to the house asked me all sorts of questions including basic mental health questions, he made me feel a fraud for having RA and that as I looked okay and could do certain things at the present they have sent me a letter saying they are stopping all my benefit??? They say I can make a meal after me telling the GP that I cant lift any pots or things out of the oven, I need my blue badge so that I can park closer to buildings as when I walk am in chronic pain. They have said if am not happy with decision then I can appeal, someone please help me as not sure how to go about it??? :???:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think you can retain the blue badge as that is a separate entity from DLA (I think, I am not certain and I could be wrong). As for the other matter, well, I guess you have documented proof of RA, those who know their stuff know it is a fluctuating condition, I guess you are on meds etc so there is plenty of proof you have it: an appeal has to be launched but I am not sure how one goes about it. Ummmm, perhaps contact the CAB and ring the helpline here, they might know what you should do. It's a free-phone number at the top of the page. I don't think they are open now but they should be on Monday. I am so sorry to hear your news. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    This is awful I am so sorry, I do think this is a sign of the times, seems they are already checking people over, but how on earth can someone come to your house and decide you are fit to do things.
    You must appeal right away, and get some help with it.
    I do wish you luck with it all
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi, you certainly advice on how to appeal, as DD says the helpline or the CAB. I don't supposed they disclosed what information they had received about your illness? You don't need to have DLA to receive a blue badge - but you don't have an automatic right to one and it is harder to obtain. Not impossible though.

SPeedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I had a chat with someone at the DLA today and they have said that if you want to appeal the decision that they make you should call the number and speak to someone with regard to the decision. Apparently they will explain to you how to go about appealing. I hope this helps.
    Jakib0644.gif
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Oh and I know that the Blue Badge is completely separate from the DLA as my dad has a blue badge but has never applied for or received DLA. You should be ok to keep your Blue Badge
    Jakib0644.gif
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi Rallymad

Well that just seems plain crazy dont it? I mean why send round a retired GP to see you...I mean i presume they reason they are retired is cos they no longer felt they were up to the job so why give someone like that extar work on assessing people for this kind of benefit.....We can all look at someone and think they cope well but its not the case is it? Why is it too that they never include vital things in reports such as you not being able to get down to oven? Maybe the GP needed a hearing aid or was doddery???!!!

Madness....Hope you can appeal soon and get it sorted...

Elainex
    Rallymad wrote:
    Hi got letter from DLA saying they had received some information about my illness, were sending someone out to the house to assess me, a retired GP. He came to the house asked me all sorts of questions including basic mental health questions, he made me feel a fraud for having RA and that as I looked okay and could do certain things at the present they have sent me a letter saying they are stopping all my benefit??? They say I can make a meal after me telling the GP that I cant lift any pots or things out of the oven, I need my blue badge so that I can park closer to buildings as when I walk am in chronic pain. They have said if am not happy with decision then I can appeal, someone please help me as not sure how to go about it??? :???:
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    I too have received a letter from DWP regardlng dla entitlement. I was asked to walk to the local dwp medical centre in an estimated 12 minutues. I contacted ATOS stating that I had received the impression that I could have a home visit and was informed that home visits were only available to the housebound!!. I stated that I did not know what I would be like on the day and finally a doctor saw me last wednesday. I do not expect that I will keep dla which will mean a tremendous drop in living standards ie. food, warmth and lighting.
    I do agree that the fluctuating nature of arthritis is not taken into account, or the invisible but real pain, stiffness and tiredness are not taken into account. Whether I will appeal, I do not know as the process itself is quite stressful.
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    So sorry to hear of this battle - you must be flamin' angry :green

Yep, get appealing and remember to answer questions about your WORST days.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this however when you win the battle you will be smiling again AND shall give others inspiration.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Carol
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hiya
    When they stated in your letter they have got information about your illness, where have they got this info from??? As for the retired doctor, well I saw one of those when he was a locum at my GP surgery when I first went about my hip I put my hand on my hip to state which hip it was and he said well you dont get pain there when you have arthritis, you have fibromayalgia. Ha ha little did he know because I had arthur in both of my hips and since had a THR. Honestly some of them should just stay retired.
    You need to appeal against it.
    Denise
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Rallymad

You have to appeal ASAP!!!!

you may have inadvertantly given the impression that you CAN cook by offering him the solutions you have devised...eg micro meals??

I think everyone is going to be reassessed at some point so don't be thinking it's your fault because it's not. This will happen to all of us so we do need to be ready for it.

Get to CAB asap and start your appeal. You shouldn't attempt this on your own.

As far as the badge is concerned the mobility side of DLA is a 'passport' for a badge, but you can continue to use one without being in receipt of DLA.

Love

Toni xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Why don't you call the Arthritis care telephone number they will beable to help you will appealing the decision I wish I had known about them sooner as they are such great people on the phone line. I was turned down the 1st time I applyed for DLA and I went to the C.A.B and the person who helped me and got the decision overturned!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Just appeal. I once failed a GP medical for DLA but felt they couldn't judge me on a few monkey tricks. In the end I got DLA after my rheumatologist wrote to them with details.
    I think they are on a mission. If you think the medical is inaccurate then you can challenge it by appeal.
    Good luck
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Hi Rallymad,

Oh that is totally awful for you. :sad: It is so terrible when those in need get made out to be a fraud when there are others out there who are happily fleecing the system and getting away with it! :evil I'd definitely appeal the decision if you can.

I got a letter today declining me for both counts of DLA... I evidently didn't seem sick enough on my form and in my letter from my GP for them to give it to me! I'm contemplating appealing it, but to be honest, I think that there are people out there who are more in need of it than I am for my RA. Such as yourself. It's a tough one though isn't it? Arthritis is a tricky disease that so few seem to actually understand that one can have a good day and the next be bed ridden. I do hope that you manage to get your appeal Rallymad, I know that we are all here to support you in your quest! :wink:
  • Rallymad
    Rallymad Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has replied. Was told they could not tell me who had given them the info as they were protected under the information act or something like it. I have written an appeal letter stating answers to the facts that they have decided about me ie I can cook a meal for one, I am a single parent of a daughter aged 9yrs, so who do I cook the meal for her or me?? Told the guy I had bought pots with ergonomic handles to try and make it easier when cooking but still told him I cannot lift pots when they have anything in them!!!! I am now in the middle of a flare up and honestly think it is because of the stress I am going through, work won't understand this as I've not told anyone what am going through. Am in agony and feel like I've got the flu but without the snotty symptoms. Will give the helpline a call and see what they come up with. Sorry for moaning :sad:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Really mad,

I think you have every right to moan and scream and shout cus this is silly..... I hope you can get either CAB or DIASL to help you with and appeal and you must appeal it flower you must. Its a sign of the times but so unfair. Cris x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Cris is right it is a sign of the times. They want the genuine ones to feel the need to appeal.
    Sorry you are suffering so and hope you get better soon

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein