Not funny, not funny in the slightest

Options
bobbyger
bobbyger Member Posts: 155
edited 27. Mar 2011, 13:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
As most of you know, I am post op recovery after an ankle fusion. All is going well but today, I got a monster cramp in my foot :eek: when carrying out my physio exercises. With no way of stretching it off bar flexing my toes, I had to suffer while my daughter was quietly chuckling in the corner of the room. All in all it took a good 10 minutes to completely subside.
Hope its a one off but just incase I've asken my OH to get me some magnesium suppliment in town tomorrow.

Comments

• katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    bananas are great for warding off cramp or so we were told when i was training many moons ago.

Katie xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    that was very unfriendly of her hope you get your own back on her for laughing when you in pain val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Bobby,

that's not fair but apart from that how is it going?

I get a lot of cramps and they gave me some quinine which kinds helps and is better than tonic water in terms of how much of a hit you get. It might be a one off cus its got to all still be a bit peeved at what has been done to it i should think? Anyway hope the mag supplement helps. Cris x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I was suffering very bad cramps in my legs and feet for quite a while, docs gave me quinine, quite effective, but I don't think it's great to take long term and the cramp was coming back when I stopped taking them.. Tried magnesium tablets, worked just as well..
    Places finger on forehead.......... Touch wood, not had to take it for a while now..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • sullivt56
    sullivt56 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    I get cramp quite badly sometimes but I am the one laughing out in between the pain shouts...Cant help myself when see my toes spread like a frogs foot and cant control it.......

Dont get me wrong it is very painful and lasts a fair while.

My wife things I am going round the twist but hey ho got to laugh sometimes.....
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Cramp is horrible - up your potassium intake, have an extra banana or two, knock back the tonic water (full fat version and sans gin), have a little more salt in your diet over the next couple of days and let's hope that is enough to sort it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Rob
    Not funny like you say, I dont get it much but when I do, I cant imagine not being able to stretch it.
    I didnt know about magnesium, see what you lean on this forum.
    Good Luck with it all
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bobbyger
    Options
    just 3 cramp attacks today, 2 when sleeping last night (OH got a shock when I woke up in agony). Didnt manage to get the magnesium suppliments but got "Crampex" instead so I'll give that a try.
    Hope everyone else is as good as can be.
    Rob
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh dear, you poor thing. I hope the new jollop works. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    hope you get through the night without cramp. I don't suffer myself but my oh does, and it is normally through the night with him too.

Hope the pills your wife got you help.

juliepf x
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I hope its easing off now I'm going to be having my ankle sorted after both big toe joints so getting cramp was not something I thought of but i take gabapentine so maybe that will help I dont remember having cramp since taking them , jeeze cramp is an awlful thing to suffer with michelle
    x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I used to be on the other end of peoples feet, after fractures, we were always taught to push on the toes and pull on the ankles, with a straight leg, to align the bones and allow the muscles to be in a relaxed position for splinting. It does work for cramp as well, I get cramp in my foot when the muscles can't fully stretch any more. Give it a try if you can articulate your ankle.

A helpful OH can do this for you!

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Oh Rob!!!

That sounds dreadful

Good advice there from Airwave too and I hope against hope the new stuff helps you a bit :???:

Love

toni xx
  • bobbyger
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    I used to be on the other end of peoples feet, after fractures, we were always taught to push on the toes and pull on the ankles, with a straight leg, to align the bones and allow the muscles to be in a relaxed position for splinting. It does work for cramp as well, I get cramp in my foot when the muscles can't fully stretch any more. Give it a try if you can articulate your ankle.

A helpful OH can do this for you!

8) Its a grin, honest!

Only a couple of problems with that advice Airwave, My ankle is in plaster and afterwards it will be fused :smile: . But I can push down on my toes and that seems to stave off the cramps if I get it earlier enough.

The "Crampex" tablets seem to work as I had no cramps last night, see how it goes during the day now.

Rob
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I get the cramp just behind where my toe is fused, the upward pressure on my toes still works though, better when I get the OH hard at work! I used to get cramp when I've had plaster on, a stretch used to help.

Just try a few different things when fusion is complete.

Its a grin, honest!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm pleased to hear that the new jollop worked - let's hope it does so again tonight! DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I went through a cramp stage and quinine/ tonic water warded it off.I used to keep a bottle by my bed. It has stopped now and no idea why! Hope you are okay Bobby?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein