need a little help

Options
brookssu
brookssu Member Posts: 3
edited 27. Mar 2011, 14:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am a knew to this . Problem is getting through night without terrible knee and shin pain(both legs) . Taking One 250 Naproxen at night . Was on three a day but dammaged kidneys. Advised not to return to that dose. Tried painkiller but constipation is a major issue even with good diet. I work in N.H.S so respite from standing although whilst busy able to work through pain.Feeling I am jibbering on now is there anyone kind enough to hear my anguish Hugs Sue

Comments

• chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue

Welcome to the forum and I'm listening, but not sure what to advise. That sounds like quite a low dose of anti inflam you are on and only at night? Though you have explained why.
    Have you been diagnosed with OA perhaps in knees or hips? or is it a different battle you are fighting? It may help others to offer more practical advise if you can tell us a bit more. Sounds to me like you need to get back to your doc for some better pain relief and support generally.
    I too find I can get through work once I have warmed up but the knees suffer at night with the payback! It can take a while to get the right meds which will suit you. You may find it helpful to ring the helpline and talk things through with them. Am sure others will call in here when they see you.
    Do keep asking any questions we will offer help when we can and hugs when we can't. ((( )))
    Chris
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you tho I am sorry you have had to find us.

I have never been that impressed by naproxen, it did not do much to ease my inflammation/pain. There are alternative anti-inflammatories, I liked Celebrex, that worked well for me but my GP at the time took me off those due to cost. Your GP should be able to tell you about the other options on that front.

As for the constipation, that is an occasional problem for me thanks to the cocodamol 30/500 so I take Docusate capsules (prescribed by my GP). They are very easy to take and make the difference.

What sort of arthritis do you have and what else are you taking? Is it only at night that your legs trouble you so much? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Welcome to the forum, they are a god lot.

I think its an idea to get a drugs review cus you might need a change, there are so many combinations. Do you also use pillows for your knees/ Sometimes a bit of padding to stop the legs from touching can help.

The standing up all day isn't so good is there any chance you could sit a bit as well?

I would talk to your gp and hope he will help you. have pregabalins and since them the leg pain has halved so there hope they could come up with something that works for you. Nice to meet you and please let us know how it goes. Cris x
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Have you told your GP you get 'resting pain' at night , my GP prescribed a low dose of Amytriptiline (sp) that works as a muscle relaxant and it made the world of difference to my sleeping at night.. your Naproxen is a low dose , maybe he could change your anti-inflammatory and give you a higher dose..
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • dawn42
    dawn42 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    hi brooksuu, i have that same problem as tanith said low dose amitripytline can work wonders at night it did for me but i had come off it and am now back to night after night of ankle and leg pain keeping me awake doc gave me codiene but i dont think this works either the amtrip might work for you,you could ask your gp...hope you find something that works for you.xx
  • brookssu
    brookssu Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello there.
    Thank you all so much for the positive help given. Feel maybe I should be a little more assertive at the docs. Will get appointment on my day off and try to get the right treatment
    Best Wishes to you all x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Assertiveness helps but isn't that easy. It can help to take a list of questions, that keeps the conversation on track and helps one focus. Good luck, let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben