Slamdunk In The Bath

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 28. Mar 2011, 10:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I decided this morning i would try a bath, it just appealed to me and thought as id been walking maybe the leg would let me in and out not too bad....
So i got me bubbles in, the radio playing and in i ventured.....OOOPPSSS!!! I stepped in and then stood there like a wounded duck, kind of got my good leg down and then tried to grab the handle at side of bath to lower the rest of me in.....It went badly wrong, missed handle, kinda of landed sideways and sat there in a most stupid position with pumice stones and an artificial plant at my back/bum.....and thought great, ive probably done more harm than good......I didnt stay in for long and drained all the water out before i got out which was easier than my gracious entry.....

Elainex

Oh well, maybe will make someone smile....How to make a splash eh??

Comments

• lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    you are not alone hubby has just fitted a new bathroom and instead of our walk in shower he put a bath with a shower saying I'm sure you can manage, I thought try a bath might ease my old bones, like you I stood there and thought what now my back and knees would not bend as they used to years ago It was then I realised just how disabled I am plus having my new wrist joint last Nov I knew I could not pull myself out anyway splashed down, then started planning how to get out and thinking how stupid I was to try, had no bars to pull myself up and could not use it anyway, so got a towel on the side of the bath and rested my elbow of my new wrist arm on it and somehow pushed myself up on my elbow and got out, never ever will I try that again, and this is the same elbow that has been deformed by arther so its now complaining as well,
    so much for a relaxing bath,
    thats 2 of us idiots how many others of you have tried it lol michelle
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Michelle

Well all i can say is that your hubby must see you as a wonderwoman type to think you can manoevure a bath with ease???
    My problem is only in my left knee so ive got to give you lots of credit for even taking the plunge in the first place.....You feel a right wally dont you though (well i do) when youre stood then ankle deep in water and thinking "okay what the hell next"...
    At least someone had a laugh too at me....

Elainex
    you are not alone hubby has just fitted a new bathroom and instead of our walk in shower he put a bath with a shower saying I'm sure you can manage, I thought try a bath might ease my old bones, like you I stood there and thought what now my back and knees would not bend as they used to years ago It was then I realised just how disabled I am plus having my new wrist joint last Nov I knew I could not pull myself out anyway splashed down, then started planning how to get out and thinking how stupid I was to try, had no bars to pull myself up and could not use it anyway, so got a towel on the side of the bath and rested my elbow of my new wrist arm on it and somehow pushed myself up on my elbow and got out, never ever will I try that again, and this is the same elbow that has been deformed by arther so its now complaining as well,
    so much for a relaxing bath,
    thats 2 of us idiots how many others of you have tried it lol michelle
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    I gave up on baths years ago. It required my man to lower me gently into the water which is no mean feat.Although I miss a good long soak I stick to my beloved shower now,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I have been having showers for a while but because my housing association fitted hand rails for my bath I thought it would be nice to have a soak in the bath. WRONG!!!!

I got into the bath ok but getting out was more like mission impossible! I tried to get hold of the grab rail but my hand just couldnt grip it. I ended up having to let the water out by pulling the plug out with my toes as I couldnt reach it then like a graceful hippo wallowing in a mud bath I had to turn myself over onto my knees before standing up.

By the time I got out of the bath and into a towel the entire adventure took me about an hour and a half!!!
    Jakib0644.gif
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Well you know i dont have anyone to lower me in...Not me folks anyway would give them a slipped disc! I enjoy my hydro too...

Elainex

tkachev wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    I gave up on baths years ago. It required my man to lower me gently into the water which is no mean feat.Although I miss a good long soak I stick to my beloved shower now,

Elizabeth
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Jaki

Yeah believe housing associations are very good for fitting things like that aint they? Just a pity that you need about 2 hours and a hoist to use it...Maybe you could ask for walk in shower? I can kneel on my knees at all but my arms must be quite strong as i lean forward and my arms lever me up well...

Elainex
    rugbygirl wrote:
    I have been having showers for a while but because my housing association fitted hand rails for my bath I thought it would be nice to have a soak in the bath. WRONG!!!!

I got into the bath ok but getting out was more like mission impossible! I tried to get hold of the grab rail but my hand just couldnt grip it. I ended up having to let the water out by pulling the plug out with my toes as I couldnt reach it then like a graceful hippo wallowing in a mud bath I had to turn myself over onto my knees before standing up.

By the time I got out of the bath and into a towel the entire adventure took me about an hour and a half!!!
  • paddyw
    paddyw Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Oh i throught it was just me,trying to get into the bath what a job ,BIG splash as i go down! i have to laugh or i really would cry,not to bad getting out as good grip bars . Cant belive i have come to this,I was so fit not much stopped me ,but a bath full of water now - well thats a diffrent story! Keep Splasing PatW
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Pat

I know i used to laugh at my mum who refused to have a bath cos she couldnt get out and she hasnt got any arthritis etc...But now the tables have turned.....

Elainex
    paddyw wrote:
    Oh i throught it was just me,trying to get into the bath what a job ,BIG splash as i go down! i have to laugh or i really would cry,not to bad getting out as good grip bars . Cant belive i have come to this,I was so fit not much stopped me ,but a bath full of water now - well thats a diffrent story! Keep Splasing PatW