Question regarding 'flares'

Options
keith1971
keith1971 Member Posts: 302
edited 29. Mar 2011, 13:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey all,

As I'm still very new to this I wondered how you all classify having a 'flare'.

I seem to be worse pain wise (and in more places) than I was a couple of weeks ago, is this considered a flare, i.e. an increase in symptoms? I still don't have any visible swelling, more very tender spots.

Thanks!

K.
x
315yexv.jpg

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    For me the first signal that a flare might be coming is that tiredness levels increase - everything becomes a much greater efort than normal, pain increases and joints that don't usually bother me join in the fun, sometimes the 'usual suspect' joints inflate with fluid and I just generally feel 'off', well, more off than usual.

I think I might be flaring but this time I seem to have done it backwards: huge joint inflation this time last week (but I felt OK) and today utter exhaustion and I feel grotty. Sodding arthritis. I am at the thinnest end of the humira wedge - I am due a whack of that tomorrow - so perhaps it's connected to that. I don't know :smile: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    to me it is as if some one stuck needle in and drawn all the energy out then stiffness kicks in pain and heat in joints so much fun only lasts couple of days now as meds do help a lot over did it yesterday so would not be suprised if one did not show its self today lol ice for hot joints heat for stiff ones and rest as much as you can val
    val
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi K,

For me a flare is when all my joints have a burning sensation and it gets worse as the time goes on. I tend to get slower and in more pain and very stiff. Also for some strange reason I get a sore throat as well!
    It can last 24 hours or my worst flare lasted 4 days. I couldn't get out of bed. Then it just stopped as quick as it started. No reason for it. I'll never understand why it happens. I have had RA for 26 years.
  • Rallymad
    Rallymad Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi Keith,
    Think everyone will be different, for me I get a feeling like my affected joint has been in contact with fibre glass, like short sharp jabs of pain, some swelling as if there is fluid gathering and am very sore, the tiredness is unbelievable, my other half doesn't get that this makes us very very tired, am in a flare at the moment and am going to have to ask GP for more help with pain relief as my co-codamol 30/500 and dihydracodiene are not helping. Hope this helps