My Back / Hip Gives Way

Lotsofpain
Lotsofpain Member Posts: 157
edited 29. Mar 2011, 11:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
When I walk sometimes the right side of my back or my hip suddenly moves on its own or sometimes does not move at all which means my body does not react properly say to walking over a bump getting off a bus. Occasionally this leads to my losing balance and falling over

If I go upstaurs i have to lift my left leg then my right, then my left again because do not have enough power on the right side to lift my body similarly if I bend down or sit down on the ground i cannot get up without assistance

Any ideas and will a support belt help

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry to say , but think you just need to learn your limitations , accept them and adapt accordingly . Welcome to the world of arthur ! Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't think I have the same form of arthritis as you but I cannot walk far ( less than ten yards now) without my crutches. It may be time to think about using a stick, perhaps two or maybe crutches, as these help with balance and stability and thus improve one's confidence. I cannot do stairs like a grown-up anymore, haven't been able to since my first synovectomy. So what? I do 'em like a three year old and eventually get to the top (or the bottom!). We have to adapt how and what we do - but it isn't that easy at first. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Pherstun
    Pherstun Member Posts: 96
    Hi, I have the same pain and problem but mainly on my left side. At the same time as it 'gives way' I get a bad stabbing pain through my hip/bum.

I have to walk with sticks at the mo, half because of this and half because my ankles and knees won't always work properly!

I would suggest getting a stick. There's nothing wrong with admitting you need help, whether it be internal like tablets or external with something to prop you up!
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi there,

My left hip will suddenly give way on me and now I always use a stick just for extra stability. It really does help so do try. It took me a long time to accept but would not do without now.. It was the good people on this forum that made me realise this.

Good luck

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi

am so sorry :sad:

I was going to suggest you get yousrelf a stick. Honestly you have to think of your safety...what if you were crossing a road or fell downstairs??!!

and next time you 'see' anyone l woudl definitely mention it.

Love

toni xx