Arthritis in ribs

Options
Isis
Isis Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Mar 2011, 02:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anybody else have problems with their ribs when exercising? I have been doing pilates, but have now pulled the muscles in my ribcage when turning over after an exercise. Does anybody have any idea how to stop this happening or how to help the muscles heal quickly?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I pulled my intercostal muscles years ago when turning a mattress. That took ages to sort itself out as not much can be done to help them. Perhaps taking a little more care when moving is the answer. I find I have to concentrate on executing even basic movements. I wish you well and I hope they feel less sore soon - perhaps something like Voltarol could help? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Isis

Welcome. Ouch pulled muscles can be so painful. Did the same myself back in my pre arthritis days and unfortunately it seemed to be just a case of letting it mend in it's own time, which as DD says can be infuriatingly slowly!. Hope your doc can help if it gives you bother for too long. Take care
    Chris
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Isis

Welcome to the forum, they are a good lot here.

Unfortunately muscles take their own time to heal and I don't think there is a lot you can do to speed them up really.

Maybe you are doing too many just now and the muscles need a bit of a build up before you do a full lot? I don't really know but I do have arthritis effecting the ribs and its affected the intercostrials as well.. its got a proper name but we need Debs to tell us that one.

I have tender ribs and they hurt to be touched or poked. There is also a small lump or two on them round the sternum area. When they hurt so do the muscles and I tend to be a bit kinder to them then.

I so agree with muscles being kept as strong and even as you can as it don't half help.

Rest that one for a minuet and with luck it will soon ease off for you. nice to meet you. Cris x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Isis
    welcome to the forum.
    I sometimmes pull my muscles in the rib cage area and this is with just turning over in bed, and it can be very painful. It can take a few days for it to settle down in my case.
    Hope yours settles down soon.
    Take care
    Juliepf x