Massage Therapy - Last Discussion of the week

arthritis_HP
arthritis_HP Bots Posts: 33
edited 2. Aug 2011, 16:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi again everyone

It's Maya,

For those of you who took part in my 'Discussion of the week' threads you already know me. For those who may not be familiar I am a Master's student in Public Health and Health Promotion. Every week for three weeks I hosted a new discussion on a different complementary therapy for managing OA pain where I am interested in hearing your first hand experiences with the therapy. Others with different conditions are welcomed to join the chats.

This is the last week and I want to hear your thoughts on Massage Therapy...ie,the type of massage you had and whether you found it beneficial.

Look forward to hearing from you all!!

Maya

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have a neighbour who is a trained sports masseur. Over the years she has many, many times come to my rescue, unknotting tight muscles and easing inflammation (though that does come back, such is the nature of the beast). For the past year or so it has mainly been my neck and shoulders that have needed attention (the head massage is absolute bliss) but I may well have my knees done again soon, once this last aspiration/steroiding is feeling better. I also think my feet need doing - time to get on the blower. I swear her thumbs are instruments of torture, but once she has loosened/released/softened the tight areas one finds heaven. After my skin is bright red and warm, I have to rest for a little while and drink a pint of water to help shift the released toxins.

I would recommend sports massage to anyone - as long as the masseur is aware of your health problems and knows to work even more gently at first than they otherwise would - it is a fabulous help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    when was having physio she massaged me and it was great helped get kinks out of back bone and shoulder you could here it creak back into place as muscles relaxed was great val
    val
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    If reflexology is classed as massage therapy then I would say that this is most enjoyable and I felt relaxed and a little sleepy afterwards.

Massage is a natural reaction if you hurt/bang your knee, elbow, shoulder etc. We all do it!

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Please note most masseurs will not massage men. Royalty and PM's (and some actors/footballers/minor celebs)get into trouble for employing them. The result is no masseurs. I doubt if I could find a professional masseur in a legitimate high street business, if I wanted one quickly? I would dearly love to have a massage but costs are beyond my means.

I often end up with other pains caused by injury and OA, I go to the osteopath and the pain is reduced or gone by the second session. He does a session of massage after the osteopathy which he says will reduce any other problems and put everything back in place and assist my wellbeing, a general massage, and it does, it stops the rest of my back or joints from hurting or reacting to the original injury/pain. I have been doing this for about 30 years, I have moved a lot, so with different practices. At our last session, he said that I was getting beyond his help and it was not worthwhile financially for me. I disagree but can't argue with his judgement.

It is becoming harder to afford the treatment, in any case, since I am not employed. I have also had reflexology which was also beneficial.

8) Its a grin, honest!

p.s. ask away if you have any questions.
  • katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    hi maya

i've always found massage of great benefit for my OA as my muscles are always knotted and tense. a physio told me about trigger point therapy many years ago but this was not available on NHS and i couldn't afford private treatment. i did buy the book though and its very good. would be great if this type of treatment was available on NHS as it really helps to relax muscles.

Hope this helps

Katie xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Airwave, a sports masseur should treat either gender - an accredited one is properly trained, my girl does men and women and reckons the men bleat more! :smile: Her fees are reasonable too - a head, shoulders, arms and hands is £10 and takes about half an hour. A full body takes about 75 minutes and costs £25 (but I do live in a cheaper part of the UK). DD
  • Airwave!
    Hey DD,
    Many thanks for that, shows what a sheltered life I lead, I will try to find a sports one.

My wife will massage my back, under protest, but a more professional job is required. As someone else said, you feel as though you are all knotted up when you feel pain.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • Airwave!
    I have done a search for a sports massage, thanks DD, most are in the £45 bracket for 60 mins. I'll have a think about it!

The osteo I used for the last few years said he knew it hurt when I got to him, because the cost didn't put me off any more!

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Hi Maya,

I have a back neck and shoulder massage every month.
    I've been having them for 3 years now and I think it definately helps.
    I have RA not OA so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    It is quite gentle not like a sports massage.
    Anita.
  • arthritis_HP
    Hi guys

The comments about the sports massage sounds kind of intimidating. :smile:

Maya
  • dreamdaisy
    I have had both sorts, a sports and the 'beauty' type. (I began with those, this was before I knew what my neighbour did). The latter was lovely, gently tickling fingers, light strokes and rubs, it was very relaxing but that was it. I could not bear the therapist going anywhere near my left knee (that has had two open synovectomies, the muscles and nerves are in a mess) so she would only do my shoulders and neck. After her gentle ministrations everything was just as tight and knotted as before. After V has had a go at me my knotted muscles are considerably softer, far less painful, and when she tackles my left knee she touches it as tho she means it - which is fine. I love the numbness of it then, it's a weird but lovely sensation. She is the only one I allow near it. Even I balk at touching my own knee sometimes.

Sports masssages are different beasts to the usual. Yes, you are prodded somewhat, and it can be uncomfortable if not painful at the time but the relief after is long-lasting - and that's the bit that matters. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    I have had nice beauty type massages and loved these l also tried osroepathic chiro type ones when my back started off.

That was quite effective and worth it as xrays were done first so safe(ish).

HOWEVER my friend's neck was bad when last year we went to a health sap and she asked for a GOOD neck massage.....result? AGONY not the fault of the staff member rather hers as l did say it wasn't a good idea.

She has been referred to Oswestry for surgery now :???:

Love

Toni xx
  • arthritis_HP
    I like the use of the term 'beauty' type massage.

I could feel your friend's pain Toni. The neck is a particularly sensitive area for a GOOD neck massage.

Maya
  • dreamdaisy
    And that is why you need someone to knead you (ha-ha!) who knows what they are doing. Sports masseurs study anatomy in some depth, I would hope other types of therapists do too (I would have thought they should) but the average 22 year old doing a beauty course at her local college won't have covered that sort of thing. There is a big difference between the head massage that V gives me and the one the girl does at the hairdressers, but both are called massage. DD
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Prior to my SLE and PolyArthritis, for years I used to get a weekly aromatherapy massage and one a month a crystal therapy massage. Also Reiki. You can tell I loved massage.

The most important benefit for me was spending money on myself and making me lie down and empty my head for an hour. I was always buzzing around before my illness.

Sadly, although my body is screaming out for a good old straight forward massage, I am too scared to have one as I know that deep tissue massage (which I love) can be no good for SLE sufferers so also nervouse about a regular massage.
  • arthritis_HP
    carola wrote:
    Prior to my SLE and PolyArthritis, for years I used to get a weekly aromatherapy massage and one a month a crystal therapy massage. Also Reiki. You can tell I loved massage.

The most important benefit for me was spending money on myself and making me lie down and empty my head for an hour. I was always buzzing around before my illness.

Sadly, although my body is screaming out for a good old straight forward massage, I am too scared to have one as I know that deep tissue massage (which I love) can be no good for SLE sufferers so also nervouse about a regular massage.

Carola

I never really knew about crystal therapy massage. Care to tell me some more about the concept?

Maya
  • arthritis_HP
    Hello everyone,

Anymore comments?

Maya
  • Airwave!
    Maya,
    Had my sports massage this morning. The physio soon found the spot, ouch! I expect it'll be sore for a while, more tea needed :-)) Should be clear after a couple of visits.

£45 first visit, (1 hr) £37 (3/4 hr) for next. Worth it? Probably, pity NHS can't do more for us, it'll most likely save in the long run, but then NHS physios don't physio any more, they just offer you advice and sign you off.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    bumping up for cockneygirl

Chris x
  • Airwave!
    Just got a email notification of an answer two months later....dohhhhhhhh!