got Drs thursday

Options
lavenderlady
lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
edited 4. Apr 2011, 17:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
am going to see my DR as the past few days I have been very depressed and down my hands wrist and feet along with my back and shoulders have hurt like hell, I am so reluctant to take Tramadol but know i need it but dont like feeling knocked out so am going to ask for something else, any suggestions would be great !!! I'm also falling asleep every day around 4pm it could be my thyroid and he needs to up my thyroxine its already 225mg but my pulse gallops so am a little worried ,
also got to take my mum to Drs after me whos showing signs of dementia her mum and aunt had it so I know the signs , shes getting bad so looking after her is wearing me out as well poor Dads had enough, and I guess I'm feeling fragile and letting the pain get to me, do you think pain feels worse when you are down and depressed or is being depressed make the pain worse if you know what I mean ???? michelle

Comments

• keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

Speaking from personal experience I definitely think my pain is worse when I'm feeling negative & I then concentrate on every ache & shooting pain.

Hope you sort it out ok

x
    315yexv.jpg
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Michelle,
    Yes I do think pain seems/feels worse when we are stressed, low or generally under the weather. I do think you're under a tremendous amount of pressure with you're mums ill health, nevermind the very real pain you are in with Arthur. I myself can't really get on with tramadol, i took it after my wrist broke but It did make me feel sick/groggy and as i have youngish lads (early teens) I needed something to take the pain away but not make me a zombie! so I take tramacet, it's not as strong as tramadol but definitely takes the edge of the pain. We are all different though, you may have to try a few things till you find something that works for you.
    Please tell the dr all the stress you are under, it nay be that he can point you in the right direction for some additional help with your mum?
    Thinking of you and sending healing hugs xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi michelle
    Im another one that didnt get on with tramadol, but others people find it a great help, we are all so different.
    I do know there are patches that are slow release, but Im not sure what they consists of, have you been referred to a pain clinic, they might be able to help
    I do wish you well with everything
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i take co-codamol does help but can make me sleepy but do not want anything stronger till need it val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Michelle,

Your right about pain dragging you down. I wonder would a different drug help you better? There has to be something that can help other than trimodal? What about patches? could they help?

I have some but I had the botox and put the patch on the same day and got a reaction from one of them so haven;t used the patches since BUT it did help with the pain.

With luck the gp can come up with something but its not going to be long for you toe to be done and then you will be walking more central and that might help ease up the rest a bit?

For now try and take it easy for a bit and be kind to your self and I hope it will soon be a lot better for you. Cris x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi michelle

hope your doctors appointment goes well on thursday and that you get something to help with your depression and pain. I am so sorry that you are feeling low.
    I hope you improve shortly.
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is much harder to cope with a chronic condition when one is besieged with other stresses and worry. Make sure you tell your GP about everything that is going on with you at the moment - he/she needs the full picture so they can determine what could be the right form of treatment. You have a great deal on your plate in addition to the arthritis, it's a lot to cope with and manage. Good luck on Thursday and let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Michelle

Poor you :sad:

poor your parents, but i am glad you are taking Mum to the doc. Would be lovely if there is something they can do to help. You are doing teh right thing tackling it head on.

I am so not suprised you feel so shift :sad: You have a lot on your plate.

I am now on bu-trans pain patches which are better for me as l dont go 'out of my tree' like on tramadol and co-co's.

Good luck
    and let us know how you get on

Love

toni xx
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    thanks to you all for your comment my DR did realise the pain was chronic and bad so he has for 3 months doubled up on my Gabapentin and double the dose of dehydrocodein if after 3 months the pain is still bad he will then give me morphine and will be on that long term, he will also see if my moods lifted with hopefully less pain if not he will look into anti depressents I took prozac a few years ago which helped me a lot , so its just seeing if the double dosage works , as for mum shes got to see a mental health psychiatrist, and I will have to go with her, her sisters down this week so am having a bit of me time tody i did all my seeds but realised a year later how bad my fingers and hands are, fiddly things like planting the seeds in trays took ages and so far have only done half, what a difference a year makes with OA, thanks again everyone much appreciated xx michelle
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi lavenderlady

Glad the drs app went reasonably well, I hope the increase in your meds helps and that you feel better soon.

Hope the seeds do well, its nice to grow things but yes can be fiddley,

Hope your mum has a good day with her sister and hope that her appointment goes well too,

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I have tramadol Slow release tablets. I had the ordinary ones but they made me feel pain free for a hour or two then down and painful before the next dose was due. So the Pain Clinic suggested my gp give me the slow release version. They do work better for me. The sick feeling can be controlled with an anti-sickness pill, my GP told me, but personally I never needed it. Also, the first few weeks I felt too knocked out and nearly gave up on tramadol, but I gradually found my body got used to it and its not a problem now.
    Pain relief is a individual thing and what helps one person, dosn't the next. It took my a while going through the different meds to get it as good as it can be, which is far from perfect!
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just have one pill that worked on everyone???
    I'm glad things went well and hope you find these new things are helpful for you!
    Love Suexxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi, I'm on diclofenic slow release and that seems to help me.
    As for your question about pain and stress....most definitly ....you feel it much more if you are "down"/fed up/ under stress or/ at night...you just seem to think about the pain...sorry I dont mean you I mean most of us
    Glad your doc is being supportive

LoveHileena