My poor weathered veins....... :-(

Options
jennylynn
jennylynn Member Posts: 101
edited 29. Mar 2011, 16:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
This is pure curiosity on my part, but i was wondering where people tend to get their bloods drawn from? :idea:
I had one decent vein in my right elbow, but after ten years it has finally given up the ghost! Consequently i had to have blood drawn from my hand on wednesday - and its still bruised!! to be honest it was quite painful (i'm not squeamish - inject my own meth and give local anaesthetic to patients at work) but i could see the vein moving around in my hand :evil before the needle penetrated. Surely there has got to be a nicer place to have blood taken??? :grin:

Jennyx
Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    it does sound painfull can not help but sure some one else will be able to hope the next one will be better val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jenny,

Snap :lol::lol: only I have to say i didn't have the one decent vein.

The rumo nurse did my bloods for me last week after 3 failed visits to the practice nurses..... That Couldn't get any but like you said it don't half hurt them trying.

my better vein has now got a lump in it they have been so rough :roll:

Anyway back to the rumo nurse.. she used a butterfly and it was so much easier so it might be worth asking could they use a butterfly? Like you the only place the poor woman could find any blood was from a very small unmutilated one in the hand but a blue butterfly and it is so much better..... Ask them to try that from now on cus the arms might need a rest. Cris xx
  • joann1
    joann1 Member Posts: 263
    Options
    Hi Jenny

No exactly what you mean, im having to have my inr checked all the time was 3x a week but im down to 2 at the min and the same as you only have 1 decent vein which they continue to go into and it hurts like anything they tried my other arm didnt manage to get any blood but had it in a right state, when i went today my good vein had decided it had had enough so they had to take it from the back of my hand, its a good job ive had it taken from there before because she approached me with the needle they normally use to take it out your arm (quite thick) i nearly passed out, i had to say or rather stammer slightly that the other nurse used a pink butterfly needle and got it straight away, thank god she rethought and used the pink one, i think i would have still been lying in that chair if not :???:

Jo-Ann
    x
    Jo-Ann
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi jenny
    I too dread going for blood tests now. After having them for 23 yrs I think mine have walked too.
    It always takes 2 attempts on each arm , so come out with four plasters. (good job i am not allergic to em)
    Just looking at my hands and there is no veins there either :shock:

I often wondered about the foot (only got one there is no veins in prosthetic one even though they look real :lol: )
    but i bet that would hurt.

juliepf x
  • jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    Options
    Cris, Val, Lynn, Jo-Ann, Julie,

Thank you so much for your replies, its always nice to know that i'm not alone in my poor vein conundrum :grin:
    Julie - i love the idea of trying to get blood from my foot! mainly because i think i would be less inclined to watch - i wonder if its to do with the skin being tighter and the foot generally being more bony?

I will definitely be asking for the pink butterfly next time, it was a butterfly needle she used but i seem to recall it was blue or green?! think it must just be a bigger needle?!

As if its not bad enough having the arthur in the first place we also get blessed with dodgy veins! Will be thinking of you all when i next go back for more blood tests :grin:

Jennyx
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358