Gels or pills?

keith1971
keith1971 Member Posts: 302
edited 29. Mar 2011, 12:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

My question of the day is regarding anti-infamms.....

Gel or pills?

I've been using the gels on various tender spots for a few weeks now & they definitely seem to take the top edge off things.

I'm not one of life's pill poppers so try to avoid taking anything I can get away with not taking.....though I know this will have to change now I have arthritis!

:lol:
315yexv.jpg

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    depends on what works for you. pills for me and deep heat when need but did not use them till needed to started off with just when in a flare then had to go on full time as falres were increasing now mostly under control so see how you do and do what right for you good luck val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think it depends on how many joints are affected. Gel is good if it's only one or two, any more than that then the cost begins to mount. It's tablets for me as they are covered by my pre-payment certificate. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Keith

Generally I find pills more effective when when multiple joints are complaining. But anti-inflamms really don't agree with my stomach at the moment so I am mainly relying on gel (topped up by the odd Diclofenac)and I find that it does help. As DD says though it gets very expensive if you use a lot.

If you find that the gel is helping for the moment, then all well and good.

Top tip - if you do start taking anti-inflamms regularly, your doc should also prescribe a stomach protecing drug like Omeprazole or Lanzoprazole. In my experience they don't always remember though, so do ask if/when appropriate.

Tilly xxx
  • keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    So what you're saying Tilly is I need pills to protect me from the pills but those pills designed to protect also have nasty possible side effects.

Oh joy! :lol:

I'll be rattling when I walk by year's end.............
    315yexv.jpg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Keith
    I do know how you feel, I have never been one for taking pills,I have tried the gels, but sadly they are not strong enough now.
    I just try and take the least amount I can get away with
    Good Luck
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    keith1971 wrote:
    So what you're saying Tilly is I need pills to protect me from the pills but those pills designed to protect also have nasty possible side effects.

Oh joy! :lol:

I'll be rattling when I walk by year's end.............

Yep! That's one of the true joys! :grin:

Tilly xxx