This is gonna sound like a stupid question but..........

Options
keith1971
keith1971 Member Posts: 302
edited 30. Mar 2011, 12:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
So I've read by now an encyclopedia of facts & figures regarding arthritis & the thing that pops up most frequently is the fact that treatment should be started as early as possible so as to limit joint damage as most of this damage occurs during the first few years of disease.

My question is, what happens AFTER those initial years if a person gets away relatively unscathed damage wise?

Can drugs be reduced?

Is further joint damage then minimal?

K.
x
315yexv.jpg

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think this is a piece of string question, and as such almost unanswerable. Facts and figures? I know one fact, arthritis in any form is bloody painful and I know one set of figures - a fair few million of people are affected by it. Everyone is different in how they are affected, at what rate, in what way, and arthritis itself is a contrary beast. It comes and it goes - well, so I've been told, I am still waiting for the going bit.

I think that those who have responded well to treatment or operations probably don't post anywere near as much as those who haven't, and why would they? tonesp is a good example of that - he posted quite a bit before his hip replacement (OA) and during his recovery, but he now has his life back and isn't around anywhere near as much, and neither should he be. I suspect those who are having success in the arthritis fight may not even know this place exists, and they don't need to.

I have had drugs reduced and dropped, only to have them upped and re-introduced. I know there are some meds I have not yet tried, and when this current batch fail I guess I will get my chance at them. I can wait.

I lost the battle before I knew I was fighting it but I reckon you stand a fighting chance of slowing it all markedly in its tracks and I hope you do. But who knows? We are all different. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi keith

that's an interesting one....

I imagine what they are saying is the sooner you start on the meds the better - so many don't get DMARDs quick enough and of course they must be at risk.

Having said that a lot of us look back and admit to having 'ignored' the first signs...periods of 'recovery' fooling us into thinking all was well.

l tend to concur with DD though....how long's a peice of string?

All l hope is...they got us in time :smile:

Love

Toni xx
  • parrotman
    parrotman Member Posts: 36
    edited 30. Mar 2011, 10:33
    Options
    Difficult question to answer Keith as the drugs may well be keeping further spread of RA at bay but if one then stops the meds, will the RA make it's presence known in a more virulent manner?

I'm sero positive in hands, wrists and feet. Bloods come back normal, xray in Jan was ok although ultra sound in Feb highlighted inflammation in finger joints, particularly rh index finger ( which I was already aware of 'cos it hurts at times !). Originally diagnosed with low grade RA 18 months ago ( can't say the pain and stiffness at times is low grade though !) and put on Diclofenac as and when required. This seems to work ok though I'm expecting to be put on a DMARD when I see Rhummie in July.

Have nodules on arms and read this can be indicative of a severe form which seems to contradict my symptoms. I just don't know.

Cheers John
    P1010005-1.jpg
  • keith1971
    Options
    Hey John,

The nodules don't sound too great, hopefully they're not a sign that you're heading down a bad road.

I know I'll probably be on drugs for the rest of my life - I was just offering up the question......a question which nobody, including the experts, seem to have a definitive answer for (more's the pity).

Best of luck with it all mate.

K.
    315yexv.jpg
  • donnas
    donnas Member Posts: 119
    Options
    OK here's one from my experience.

I had joint pain as a child, and by age 19, when I was given a diagnosis of RA, I could barely walk, had terrible neck pain and stiffness, useless hands. At that point I was told that I would need joint replacements in my toes but that I was too young. I wasn't suitable for DMARDS back then, never managed to stay on them for long and was put on high dose NSAIDS.

Now I'm 43 and my feet have not yet deteriorated further according to my x-rays. I've only just gone back on DMARDs in the past year after many many years off them.

So, some people, can be fine for a long long time.
  • parrotman
    parrotman Member Posts: 36
    Options
    I know Keith, so many questions and just when you think you're getting to grips with understanding it a bit better another flipping question arises !

What I have noticed everything starts to play up when there's a change in the weather. When it changed from autumn > winter the aches and pains grew and then settled down. Now we're going from winter > spring ( not judging by todays weather !) the best part of March was'nt at all comfortable and now starting to settle down. Perhaps it's just me :?:

Cheers John
    P1010005-1.jpg
  • keith1971
    Options
    That's very heartening to hear Donnas - glad you've managed to do okay with it after all these years. Gives me hope for a bright future.

Think you may be onto something John -- I was fine during summer of last year & only started getting worse at the latter half of the year.

I have too many questions - my next rheumatology appointment is gonna last for hours!

:wink:
    315yexv.jpg
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Keith,

I was unfortunately not diagnosed for a year. Because of this I have much more and severe damage to a few of my joints. They can be replaced but if I had started sooner then I might have been able to avoid these operations.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Keith and welcome from me too.

I would think if your disease is well under control that your drugs could be reduced but you have to talk to your Rheumy about this and not try it on your own.

When Mtx side effects were making me ill my Rheumy happily reduced it to 10.mg from 12.5 as I'd responded well. They don't keep you on strong drugs unless they have to.

As I'm many years into the disease I do have the deformities and I would say to you please don't risk them and repeat talk to your Rheumy and decide together.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • keith1971
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I wasn't suggesting çutting out the drugs, I've only just started on them, merely posing a question.
    Xxx
    315yexv.jpg