T.H.R the surgery

Options
constable
constable Member Posts: 2,115
edited 31. Mar 2011, 14:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I need to ask, when I went to the dentist today we were talking about me having the op and to my dismay, the dentists mum had her knee done with an epidurel. So she could hear everything going on.

What I need to know, with a hip, are you put under general anesthetic or not. I dont want to be able to listen to everything going on. It has really worried me.
Karen xx

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

I had a THR 15months ago and chose to have the spinal injection.
    It was the best thing for me as I then didnt have to recover from the effects of anaesthetic.

If you are nervous, you can have a sedative.

Yes you can hear the noises but to be honest you cant see whats going on. You will have a sheet pulled up in front of you. I did hear the surgeon say initially, 'lot of damage for a little lady', but thats all.
    They then were chatting amongst themselves and I couldnt make out anything more that they were saying.

I am probably going to be having knee replacements sometime and I would def choose the spinal block over anaesthetic if I was offered it.

Dont worry, talk with the surgeon, as they have different views from each other.

Kath
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I suspect the choice would be yours and you should be able to say what you would prefer nad have that option. Epidural does cut down the recovery time quite substantially and won't leave you 'out of it' for a good few hours after and probably makes life a little easier for the anaesthetist, but for some nausea after a GA is a real problem.

I have always had GA for my ops (not replacements) and would opt for that again. I don't need to hear the surgeon's dodgy choice of music.

How are the teeth - that's not quite right, I know they are not there any more - how are the gaps? Not too sore I hope. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Cath and DD

I shall have to think about this wont I, probably go for the general because I always recover very quickly so thanks to you both.

And DD had to take some pain killers, but nothing new there, now not to bad, thanks for asking.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Karen

When I had my amputation of my leg I was asked whether I wanted to be awake or asleep. I opted to be under GA.
    I had my stump operated on last year (only small op) and for that I had a LA and was sent home hours after the procedure.
    I am due 2 seperate ops for my neck and the discs at the botton of neck and for that op I think i want a GA. (neck just a bit too close to my eyes :lol: )

I think you may have a choice.

Take care and try not to worry.
    Juliepf x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Karen,

I didn't have a choice. It was the hospital policy to do the op under GA. I did have a choice on whether or not to have a nerve block as well as the GA. The nerve block helped with pain immediately post op, but was not as effective as the epidural (I had had as well as a GA) years ago when I had the other hip done.

Do you have an op date?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.