Sulfasalazine + Methotrexate

Options
2»

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Given your history with tablets why hasn't anyone suggested injected meth? That immediately removes the digestion process and a smaller dose is needed as the liquid is more powerful. That would seem so sensible to me but I am not a doc. I hope you get on OK today and that side effects do NOT materialise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Donna,

Flower keep the esomeprazole ( mine are 40mg 2x a day) and all should be ok for your stomach BUT I do think it might be an idea to get the mtx jabs.... apart from anything else I had horrible side effects with the tablets (mine were mostly stuck in the oesophagus as it turned out so well above the stomach tablets and they have caused a lot of inflammation but in addition to the pain i used to have nausea and throwing up half the week even if it was 'only' 25mg.

Stopped taking them cus of the pain and then was allowed injections and Donna... mostly no side effects at all and will be up on 25 again this coming week.

The other thing is they have checked out the damage side haven't they? See mine was alleged NSAID and turns out it wasn't at all.

I now have 10 ml of folic acid 6 days a week some of that cus I have absorption trouble re the crohn's. Its all a huge great juggling act eh? The pain clinic doc also prescribed vit b6 and b12 and well I think it helped so its a good idea to check out the supplement side as well.

they will keep a close eye on you flower and fingers crossed as you get more used to taking them you will relax about it more and maybe the headaches will get better for you as well. I still think the jabs would be kinder to you with your gastric trouble though. Keep us posted flower. Cris x
  • donnas
    donnas Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Feel ok so far today after dose two. Felt a bit jittery at bedtime. but managed to sleep better than last week. Sleepy now though. Am not a morning person!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am glad to hear that you slept better, that is a good thing! I hope today turns out to be OK and that you feel alright. DD
  • donnas
    Options
    Unfortunately I have an unpleasant side effect, crept up after the last dose of MTX, a yeast infection. Going to doc tomorrow to discuss.

A question though for those of you on MTX - anyone know if it can cause cramp? I've had it in legs, hands and fingers. It might just be the effect of coming off loads of my usual supplements til I get the nod to take them from my GP or rheumatology nurse, but I'm curious if anyone has had this. It's been really painful, and my left index finger seems to keep going into the cramp every time I make one particular movement. Legs go mad when I try to stretch in the morning.

Hope it's not just old age (I'm only 43!), and is explainable!
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Donnas, sorry to hear about the infection hope you get it sorted out soon.
    I am on mtx and i also get cramp quite a bit but i have always put it down to the RA i get it in my feet and hands mostly. I had it before i started taking the MTX so in my case i don't think it is the cause.

Tracey
  • donnas
    Options
    Thanks. I've had severe muscle pain (and other symptioms like severe headaches, TMJ, insomnia) for years, my massage therapist thinks I might have fibromyalgia, but I can't get the rheumatologists to listen to me about that as they are much more interested in joint erosion than the whole person. But the cramp is new. I'm definitely mentioning it to the GP tomorrow. I think I may end up with A List. Bless her, it's the junior rotation GP, she's lovely, very thorough and practical, but I think I may drive her batty with my LIST of ills and questions.
  • donnas
    Options
    I've been through the wars since I was last here. Hospitalised for six days with severe migraines.

Anyway, that seems to be under control and now I'm up to 12.5mg MTX. And I FEEL SICK and sorry for myself. Hate hate hate persistent nausea.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh dear, you poor, poor thing, how awful. :sad: I am glad to hear that you are now out of hospital but sorry to read that the nausea is such a problem. What about the injected meth? Have you enquired about that? As that by-passes the stomach it often takes that out of the equation - it might be worth a try. I wish you well. DD
  • donnas
    Options
    Thanks, DD. I'm back in hospital after vomiting more than was humanly possible! Apparently have no potassium in my body, and am waiting to see surgeons.

Only then might I be able to chat with a rhematologist. Oh my.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Oh Donna I am so very sorry to read this.

Really hope things improve for you soon.

Thinking of you.

Lots love Tilly xxx