children's trampolines

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 14. Aug 2011, 12:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
This is probably not the best place to ask but.....I have promised my children a large (10 or 12 foot)trampoline for the garden. There are so many makes and I was wondering if anybody has any reccomendations or definate no no's ?

I will definately be buying a safety surround and was thinking a more expensive product is going to be better quality.

Any advice would be welcome,

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    elizabeth, we had a 10ft trampoline and had no bother for years, its still going, an old friend had it for her kids when i moved, we got ours from ar*s, was solid and 12 month guarentee. good luck with finding one, they are all roughly the same nowadays so expencive isnt always better, have a look in toys*us for some examples as they usually have a couple of display models up.

happy bouncing
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thanks Coco. Quite a few friends have the a**os model. They are good value. I have loads of info on various models; John Lewis, Tesco direct, TP toys but am confused by the choice. Sometimes I think it would be easier to live in Romania with 1 model only!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    just know they are great fun my nephew and nice got one had great fun on it when managed to get on lol
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 13. Apr 2011, 05:45
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth
    We have an 8ft one for our grandchildren....but in my mind it isn't big enough..there is an offer on at tes.. £99 for the 10ft with enclosure...
    Barbara x
    Sorry wrong supermarket...its Asd.
    Love
    Barbara
  • coco67
    Options
    thats a good price and the tesco one is solid. worth you looking into if your still wanting one. elizabeth
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    coco67 wrote:
    thats a good price and the tesco one is solid. worth you looking into if your still wanting one. elizabeth
    Hi Coco sorry I put the wrong supermarket...its Asd....me and my foggy brain :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    Options
    Don't worry Del I know how annoying it is. A garden should be a sanctuary. We have to put up with the children behind peeping over our 6 foot hedge when on their trampoline. My autistic son hates noise and of course people have to turn their music up to very loud when the sun shines.He also gets very upset with lawnmower noise. I insist they do not shout and scream out in the garden.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thanks Barbara. I'm not sure if an Asda near but that is a good price!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • coco67
    Options
    elizabeth, have a look at asda direct you could get it delivered, might be worth a look and would save trying to lug it about as they are heavy. hope you fine one, xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    I am under orders to find one. Also have to take into consideration that OH will need to put it together. I have been reading the reviews on sites and often they comment 2 people are needed to construct the thing!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth
    We won ours so I don't know about makes, but it does take 2 (very strong) people to put them together. I know because I spent a fretful hour bossing around my hubby and his friend! You have to stretch the canvas tight and loop it over places etc etc all without it toppling over. NOT a 1 man job
    Nxx
  • tkachev
    Options
    That is one of my concerns, maybe Mr. Whirlwind will help and make himself useful? Well done for winning yours!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Well I have waited and waited and finally got a popular, well made brand for much less than half price. one 10 foot trampoline with surround and cover on its way!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    This is obvious but dont forget if a child or children are on the trampoline make sure there isnt a child under the trampoline treating it like a tent and sat there,otherwise jumping ones above could literally break kids neck!
    I think one child a time on a trampoline is fine if its on grass but more than one child bumping heads or placed on concrete is an accident waiting to happen.
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi Oneday,

good point. I was a little concerned about the safety aspect,constant monitoring and that it will attract the kids in the garden behind who always try to antagonize my children when they are having fun. But it is good exercise and will get them out into the fresh air and away from the laptops and electronic games

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • oneday
    Options
    Hi
    We havent got one...They are fun but as you say its the monitoring bit. One of my friends has one and says max 2 kids at a time plus its a magnet for other kids to come round and you could end up spending all your time watching.
    The bit i said about a kid underneath was mentioned to me and i think i am quite on the ball about safety but when someone said be careful about that i felt sick at the thought. Also kids bounce into each other and bash heads. Some may say let them live, yes okay, depends on the child - mine fall over on flat ground never mind a trampoline.
    Leisure centres have trampoline classes.
    If you get one suppose youre going to have to have some timetable to avoid kids all diving on at any time when youre not there.
  • NinaKKang
    Options
    Time and dosh well spent, Elizabeth - the kids will tire themselved out on it and it amuses them for HOURS

Nxx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Our garden is very secluded with trees on 2 sides and a 6 foot hedge ar rhe back. The safety rule is 1 child on the trampoline at a time and I have a surround although I probably need a ladder too. I will be looking out for the child sitting underneath as I hadn't thought about that before. My son would probably choose to do that as it is snug and secluded.
    I am always here and if they are outside I am watching. At least I can sit and watch.

Hi Nina I hope I don't live to regret this!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • NinaKKang
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

You won't regret it, I promise... Once it's set up, try lying down on it - many's the summer afternoon I've had a nap on the trampoline - so comfy!

Nxx
  • oneday
    Options
    I was tempted to go on my friends kids trampoling having not had one as a child but thought against it incase i caused more back problems. But some other mums said another problem occurs especially if youve had kids-have any mums found things happening..i.e. water department!!
  • NinaKKang
    Options
    Yes! Having had 3 kids, I do have to "go" before I do any jumping on it :D

Nxx
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    we use to have one and both our cat and dog use to sun bath on ours. our cage did get damaged from high winds (live in north yorkshire) and wished we had taken the cage bit off before...it is just something to think about when you get high winds.... the poles can get bend and they can take off.
    Your kids will love it.... ours did.
  • tkachev
    Options
    Cats! Hadn't thought about that but did get a cover. I can guarantee it will be left off unless I sort it.

Leaves could be another problem with all our trees.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein