Mind over matter?

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 15. Apr 2011, 06:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have just read about the research being done at Nottingham University into the way the mind can be tricked into feeling less pain by using an optical illusion. It's interesting how the mind can be tricked in this way, even if the effect is only temporary. How great if in the future we could just look at ourselves in a 'Mirage' box for a while and be pain free, even if only for a short time :grin: The research is still in very early stages though, so I'm not sure whether it will work, but it's interesting.

You can read about it on this link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13068924

Joan :grin:
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    not read the link will do later when got more time . but distraction does help lesson the pain you feel when get very bad play games that require concentration does not cure but does help distract from the amount of pain you are feeling val
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    This is so clever, I think that in the last few years they have started to understand pain more, and things we can do to ease it, and not always rely on meds.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    more time now while watching it try moving fingers away from yours as in picture as if you were stretching your own finger see what it does for you val

the feeling reminds me of the energy you feel when doing ti chi ??
    val