Steroid injection woes

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 22. Apr 2011, 05:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a steroid injection into a bone at the back of my ankle. It was not pleasant let me tell you! I've had them before but this one left me in considerable pain afterwards. I'm dosed up on painkillers and was assured that it's 'normal' to be in this much pain afterwards, especially given the fact that I have RA. This morning, the pain is better, it's stiff and I can't move it but, hey it's morning! I can rarely get good movement out of my ankle in the morning. My worry is that the ankle and foot is stone cold and causing me some pain because of it. I don't remember this happening last time.

Ok let's be honest, this is a bit of a whinge :wink: but if someone could jog my memory or offer any pearls of wisdom, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Starburst

I do not think is is a bit of a whinge. I cannot speak for injections in the ankle but when I had one in my foot near the second toe, which like yours, was not pleasant, I was told that the pain would get worse before it got better so start taking painkillers before the pain really kicked in and continue taking them. I was told it would be fine in one week and it took exactly that. Perhaps your foot is cold because you are not using the foot/ankle because it is painful and not too comfortable. First of all I would raise the leg and put some warmth on it and then try to move the foot to get the circulation going in said foot. This is only what I would try to do initially but if it persists I would seek medical help.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you, Elna. I'm a bit better today. My mum's friend works in the x-ray department and she asked the consultant if it was normal and he said yes. He recommended icing the ankle which surprisingly, did help. I'm not usually a fan of ice.

I can hobble a bit more today but all my joints are flaring anyway. I have a temperature and a rash. Not a happy bunny. :( Looks like it will be a quiet weekend for Sophie.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sophie

Pleased to hear hobbling is a bit easier today but sorry to hear your joints are creating havoc and what that brings along with it too. I too am not a great fan of ice unless in a drink! I had to ice loads when I had my Total Knee Replacements though and it certainly helped to numb the pain and bring down swelling!

You look after yourself, lucky you knowing someone who could have a word with your consultant.:wink::smile:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Given what they do when they inject a joint it's no wonder that things sometimes worsen before improving. You have had a needle stuck into a place which was never designed to have a needle stuck into it, jollop injected at some pace (I guess it's a bit like pressure-washing a patio!) and yes, things will react at first. Give it time, rest and ice will help, and I am sure it will settle. I hope the steroid gives you long-lasting help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben