should i trust my gut instincts

Options
only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
edited 21. Apr 2011, 07:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
afternoon all,

my son who has specail needs is growing up so fast, and yet he will always will need help from an adult who can help steer him through life's path.

my problem at the moment is my gut feeling telling me that the person who crossroads are thinking of getting to go with my son to his youth club may not 1) be the right person for D 2) and as routine is important for my son, will he do excalty the same as i have been doing and also be trusted to keep what goes on to himself and not talk about it at my son's school.

i know how best to work with my son and if followed in the same manner will work well, at this point i should mention my son has a learning disability so for all this to work for his benifit i need to be able to relax when he away otherwise its not going to work.
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I think you need to speak to Crossroads and ensure that your sons attendance at youth club is part of his Care Plan and that you and the Carer who takes him have a talk to ensure that your sons routine is kept to - but that he has the chance to experience new opportunities. I would have thought that a Confidentiality agreement is paramount.
    Why do you think that the person who will be taking him is not the right person?
    Cath
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Sylvia, tell them what you want and employ them on a short term basis thn if they are no good then you can change them as crossoads employs lots of different carers. I am thinking of getting crossroads to take my son swimming once a week but I must make sure they are reliable and safe.I would need to have a regular routine too.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Surely the only important thing is that , mums know their children better than anyone else possibly can . Go with your own deep down gut instincts . Mums are always right ! Jillyb
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Totally agree with all the posts on here - go with your instincts

Nxx
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    sylvia,
    i have had dealing with crossroads and have found them so helpfull, a lot of the clients i looked after as a carer used them, they get to know what is needed and what your son does and doesnt like, they work with you and everything is confidential. you have to talk to who ever is assigned and talk them through your sons ways/habits likes/dislikes and how you do things. introduce any new person and you have to do this, in time they will have built up a great relationship and you will wonder why you worried so. ive always found the people who work for crossroads, genuine and caring. everyone is different and if your not comfortable then talk to those incharge. good luck with it and give them a go, you might be pleasently surprised.
    its hard to hand your child to someone else.
    coco
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    thanks everyone

i spoke to D last night and told him what was going on and who the person was, everything, and although my gut feeling was already told me this it was nice to hear it from him.

he was adamant that he did not want this person to take him, so i just sent an email telling them this, its so nice to see D expressing his views, and as his mum it would be wrong not to take his feeling into account.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Well, its out of your hands now because your son has made his wishes known and that is great! Hopefully another carer will be more suitable for him and he can go off and enjoy his trip out and you can put your feet up and relax knowing he is ok.
    Cath
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Good Sylvia that is now sorted. You can ask for a different carer i'm sure. There is one crossroads carer I have asked not to have as she doesn't gel with my children and they had no problem with my request.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein