Driving with arthur.....

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 26. Apr 2011, 10:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I'm sorry you are having trouble driving it must be a worry, as cars are something which help make us independant.

I have no experience myself, but my niece, who is badly disabled with a neuro disease had to change to an automatic car. I know she was nervous and worried that she wouldn't get on with it, but once she had it and started driving she loved it. She didn't have to worry about the gear changing and all that. I think she arranged it on the motability scheme. Things have changed since those days, but I think their is still a scheme that does the same thing, so if I where you I'd find out all the information. I think her occupational therapist helped her make a case.
I hope you get something. Love Sue xx

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lynne

Yes I changed to automatic driving from a manual due to arthur.

I had to give up driving for 3 yrs and managed to get back into
    it by us getting an automatic car. We chose one that was
    fairly high up, as in easier to get in and out of.

Sadly, not been driving for a while now - again due to arthur, dont
    like my independence taken away. :cry:

Hope you decide to go for it as its sooooooooooo easy.
    Easy on the hands and wrists, shoulders and feet.
    Just Point and go, :smile:
    wouldnt want to go back to manual ever again.

Kath
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Lynn

Yes I changed from a manual car to auto about 14/15 years ago.(m reg and was just 3yr old as we bought it) I still have it.
    This was because changing gear was too hard and the steering too.

I love my auto....It was strange at first as I kept going to change gear but after a while that stopped.
    Then 6 yrs ago when I had my right leg amputated it was easy for my oh to convert it to left foot drive, by doing his magic on it.

Mine is a Rav4 Red and is quite racey at the lights :grin: I know some people think autos are boring but mine isn't and if it makes life easier why not.
    OH has a manual but loves mine and the only reason he didn't get auto was the car he has didnt come as auto.

Dont let arthur take away your driving......go for a test drive
    I am sure you will like it.

Good luck
    Juliepf x
  • julie47
    Options
    Yup say Julie says :lol: yes Oh has looked after it well for me I dont do many miles it only has 45,000 on clock :grin: and runs like a dream.

Have fun & good luck :grin:

juliepf x
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Lynn,
    I have only ever driven an automatic I did take lessons in a manual but that was it.
    I love my automatic and even drive automatic hire cars for work.
    I would find it really difficult to change gear and am so glad that i have an automatic (honda civic hubby says it is an old lady car ..cheek..i love my car ooh and it is red :grin: )
    test driving one is a really good idea to see if you like it

I hope you find a way to keep you independance.

Tracey
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Just wanted to say my hubby got me an automatic, as I was unable to drive often due to various issues resulting from arfur. It is brilliant, so much easier and more comfortable.

I still am unable to drive long distances, but if able can do a short distance, which means I still retain some independence.

Go for it!!!!
  • keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    We have an auto too......not due to arthritis, more due to my wife's inability to use a stick shift! :lol:

Power steering + auto gearbox & only two pedals (one for go, one for stop!) makes for extremely effortless driving. I tell her it's like driving a toy car!

x
    315yexv.jpg
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I would like to say thanks to Lynn for starting this and to the rest of you for replying to it.....I have a manual...always have had. I've got arthur in my ankle {plates/pins etc you name it LOL} It is slowly getting worse.....I've thought about an automatic...not yet.....but when I'm changing cars but have been scared.....I think I wont feel in control but I've never driven one,
    Like lynn says you all seem happy with them so thats something to think about
    :Love
    Hileena
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Can I just give you a tip?? This may make you laugh. I asked my hubby for an automatic, and I got one!! I was thinking small car, I got a beast. In fact I call it the beast, it is a 3 litre omega. :grin:

He said well I didn't want a boring automatic! :shock: However, it is such a luxurious spacious car. So easy to handle, parking is a pain as it is so big. I am a passenger mostly these days anyway. I wouldn't want to get rid of it from a comfort point of view. The heated seats are bliss on my bones!! :grin:

So my tip is specify what you want!! Exactly, down to a specific type if possible!!!
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    We swapped to Automatic before my Arthur started.After going to the States a couple of times and all the hire cars were automatic We thought this is the life Here in Spain our roads are all very steep and bendy and we would be up and down a manual box like a ****'s drawers All you have to do is steer and brake 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    I've promised myself I will switch to an automatic when driving becomes difficult , not yet though as I much prefer a stick shift. It always feels like I'm driving an armchair when I've driven an automatic and I don't like it. But I've swopped between the two many times while working and never had any problems with either. I'm sure if driving a stick shift is becoming difficult then swopping to the auto will help immensely so I'd go for it or at least have a test drive that should help you decide the only thing I find is wondering what to do with your left foot for a while...lol
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    I also changed to a automatic , I would never go back . I have a small 4x4 so it is easy to get in , i can just slid my bum onto the seat , great to drive . you go for it you will never go back .............good luck ...jillyx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Lynn,

It’s a god move flower. I tend to have what ever is about when I need a car..... it means I have had a few auto's and a few manuals. hey most the wagons were autos cus they give a much smoother ride as long as you drive em properly..... a few people don't and their boxes and torkconverters don't last anywhere near as long...... (that a dig at my brother and father by the way...)

This time I deliberately got an auto... so much better and cus its a half decent car its actually nice to drive, Bit low to the ground but you can't have everything on my budget :wink:

It also doubles up as a half decent van :lol: I kinda hope it will last a while ... the old one did 5 mot's and was a heap of shift and so uncomfortable but cus it kept moting.... this one went through the first one and I just hoe I don't knock it out before the next :lol:

Oh lanes.... I live in one and a few more this way as well..... one has a heripin bend in it and I must remember before I take some friends that way again...... :oops: Love Cris who is mortified she missed your b'day... but hopes you enjoyed it xx
  • julie47
    Options
    Well lynn its saturtday and I am thinking of you test driving

Hope you enjoy the experience of autos and are able to find one that you might buy.

Good luck
    Juliepf x
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    I too converted to an automatic car because of the pain of athritis and also had a hand control fitted due to the pain of hips restricting brake and acceloration. Would certainly not go back to manuel drive as it is so much easier. Current car model has a seat height that is easy to slide into and out of. The only probelm with a hand control is when arthur decides to take uip residence in fingers and wrist - then more idfficult to manage. :grin:
  • 80squeen
    80squeen Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi,
    I changed from a manual to an auto about 3 years ago after trying to convince myself I didn't need to - that was silly as I've never regretted it. It took a bit of adjusting to but is very easy to drive. I found my insurance increased a bit due to the increased engine size (1.1 to 1.6 - only size they did, but on a little 206 makes it speedy! :grin:) When you are looking round, you might want to ask about a tiptronic gearbox - allows you to have manual override, which is particularly useful in snow when you need to start off in a higher gear.
    Good luck!
    Regards,
    Josie
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Lynn, did you go for a test drive? how did you get on?
    I can't wait to hear
    Tracey
  • julie47
    Options
    Any luck :?: :?:

Juliepf x
  • MissKat
    MissKat Member Posts: 124
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting an auto for my next car too which I'm planning on changing this year...

I had my grandparents old car for a few years as a hand me down - that was automatic and I loved it, so easy to drive - great for London traffic where you're changing gear every 2 seconds and hardly make it out of 3rd gear ever!

My last car has been a manual, but since the old arthur has kicked in on the ol knees I've found the clutch (which is rather stiff in my Clio in comparison to other cars I've driven) a bit of a chore, especially when stuck in the fore-mentioned traffic...

So, yup, come the summer I'll be going Auto again. I'm all for making things easier if it means I can still have my independence :)

Once you stop stamping your left foot for the clutch which isn't there for the first few drives you'll get used to it :lol:

Have fun!

MissKat x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I have listed this before, but, just for yoU!

I changed to a semi-automatic, a 1.2 litre Panda, you can use it as a manual or automatic with 'economy' or normal driving giving the change ups and more or less revs. In manual mode you just need to push the stick to change up, it'll change down for you. I drive 90% of the time in auto with the eco mode on. It also has a double weight electric power steering which I use, in the 'city' mode, all the time, it's very light and something to look out for in a new car.

I get about 50mpg but do not find the car stimulating to drive, but, it does get me around. I would like to go back to a bike but they are more expensive and heavier to handle. The down side of these cars is that they are short, so have a very 'choppy' ride, made worse by the potholes, it's very tiring times and makes you feel that you've been shaken up and all your joints hurt. Oh well!
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Lynn,
    My OH had an auto a few years ago and found it very easy to change over from manual. If you are like us it will be a while before you find the “one for you”. I have to mull things over for a long time when it comes to cars. Not least because I have short legs and find I am either sat too close to the steering wheel or the seatbelt goes for my throat! :lol:
    I am sorry to hear you have had a big setback with Arthur, I know last year in the hot weather my feet swelled up like balloons but so far so good this year. So the mtx must be doing something. I was hoping that you had turned a corner a last with the injections. Fingers crossed it is a blip for you and things will settle down for you. Can you get your doctor to send you for an x-ray for your hip?
    Gentle hugs,
    Lv, Ix
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Lynn,

Sorry you have not been too good. Leaving a hope, a cuppa, a cream egg and a better tomorrow draft. Love Cris who will go and get the payback now xx
  • julie47
    Options
    Hi Lynn

Sorry that your weekend didn't go to plan, and you felt so rubbish.
    I hope you improve soon and hey, there are many more weekends you could have a test drive.
    Get well soon
    Juliepf x
  • Compositor
    Compositor Member Posts: 122
    Options
    I have been driving manual vehicles all of my driving life, even with current problems with arthritis. Unfortunately, I had to have both knee joints replaced, I continued to drive mannuals, but, I found that over a period of driving, particularly long journeys, my knee joints would stiffen up. This, as time went on, the problem increased with stiffness in the knee joints, I was worried in case of an emergency stop, would I be able to react quickly enough to be safe, both for me and passenger(s) and possible 3rd parties. So, as a consequence I took test drives in automatics which lead to me changing over eventually to an automatic. The difference of peace of mind was great, the ease of driving was great, all round, I was very very happy. UNTIL....my daughter called, "dad, where can I buy some top soil from" she asked. I said, "I have a little, have a look, if there enough I'll drop it off for you". The day after I took 2 half bags to her house, backed on to her drive, stopped to move a pot she had in the middle of her drive and then reversed a little closer to her side gate...THEN...WHAM. I reversed straight into the front of her house, I knew it was happening, but, I couldn't stop it. As simple as that! She had to move out the house entirely, everything, for five months whilst the front of the house had to be rebuilt. Obviously the car got sorted, but, just to drive away from your daughter's house, and, not be able to do anything really gutted me. That was 1st April,2009...need-less-to-say, I get an anniversary card every year to remind of that dreaded day. I thought these sorts of things only happen on TV programmes, but, believe me, it's one hell of an experience I don't want nor need again. In saying that, I'm pleased I changed to automatic, I still have one and would recommend one, BUT, don't do as I do. Happy motoring and good luck!

Compositor x