An update - good news & bad news!

Options
keith1971
keith1971 Member Posts: 302
edited 21. Apr 2011, 04:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey all,

Had my rheumatology appointment today after nearly 3 weeks on the full dose of Sulfa.........

The good news is that my ESR is now 5 & CRP is down to 2, so all normal......

The bad news is my liver tests showed raised ALT levels (4 times what they were before I started treatment!). So now I have to have another blood test next Thursday & will have to come off the sulfa if the levels haven't gone down below 80 or so (they're currently 92).

I'm obviously pleased that the meds are doing their job & have fingers crossed that those liver levels will normalise otherwise meth, here I come!

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

K.

x x
315yexv.jpg

Comments

• madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Keith i hope your next results go back to normal.
    My liver results were raised when i first started taking MTX but they are ok now, so fingers crossed it is just you getting used to the meds.

Good news about the ESR and CRP though.

Tracey
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Keith, I am sure your levels will settle down to more normal values, my father in law has been through the same thing recently, having to stop the sulf, due to abnormal LFTs, but after a good few weeks and a loads of blood tests, they have settled down and he is back on 2 sulf a day now, with normal liver function tests.
    take care, xxxx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Keith
    Livers are very fickle things....hopefully your next test will be lower....fingers crossed for you.
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Hi Keith,
    Last summer I took sulpha for about a month and then it lowered my white blood count so had to change to hydroxychloroquine. I was disappointed to have to change so early but ive now been on the hydroxy for 10 months with no problems. I hope you dont have to switch but if you do, take comfort that there are plenty of other things to try.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Keith

So a mixed bag then. :???:

Really pleased about the inflammation levels though that is great news. And hopefully the liver results will settle down. And, if not, as Caprica says, there are potentially other (non-meth) options. I will keep everything crossed for you.

Thinking of you.

Love Tilly xxx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Keith,
    Apologies for late reply, been a bit poorly, just wanted to say exactly same thing happened to me last year, my Rheumy suggested a blood test 2 wks later which showed ALT had gone back to normal and I've been fine on the sulf since then. Although ironically I'm off Sulfa, metho and Humira since yesterday as have chest infection :sad:
    Never mind, once the antibiotics have kicked in I'll be back on the meds and all will be well, and I'm sure you will be too :grin:
    All the best hugs x
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • keith1971
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I'm hoping things will be okay when I have the other blood test next Thursday.

I guess it's just one of those things though if I have to stop it - that is why they do regular blood tests in the first place.

Poppyg1rl - how long had you been on the sulph when your liver levels went up?

x
    315yexv.jpg
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Keith,
    I was up to week 4 and 2 tabs in the morning 2 tabs in the evening. I had no ill effects, just had a call from my Rheumy nurse asking me to stop the sulf as my ALT was raised and have a blood test in 2 weeks time, which I duly did. All was well and back to normal and I honestly haven't had a problem with it since, other than it didn't control the flares as we would have liked and I was put on meth 4 months later, I did have to stop in December as I had a very bad case of pleurisy (it's my weak spot unfortunately, never smoked though!) and it played havoc with my WBC (White blood count) but again, once illness over and finished antibiotics was back on the sulf and meth no problems. As you rightly say Keith that's why the rheumy's monitor us so closely, I sincerely hope yours is just a 'blip' and you'll be back on it problem free very soon.
    Take care hugs xx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi keith
    Good luck with the liver test next week and I have my fingers crossed that the results have gone back to normal

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • keith1971
    Options
    Thanks Julie!

Poppyg1rl - I was just finishing my 2nd week on the full 4 tab dose when the bloods showed the raised ALT levels. My rheumatologist hasn't asked me to stop taking the sulfa, he said carry on as normal & wait until the blood test next week to compare results. I don't have any ill effects either, which I guess is good!

Thanks for the advice & stories.

x
    315yexv.jpg