Airports

Options
cazaline
cazaline Member Posts: 61
edited 29. Apr 2011, 17:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All!

Hope everyone is doing well, it's been a long time since I've been on here!

Anyway, was wondering whether anyone can give me any advice. I'm going on holiday on Friday, I'll be getting the plane, but I have recently had hip replacements and I was wondering what the likelyhood of them is setting off the metal detectors at the airport?! This may seem like a silly question but it's suddenly got me very worried! They are made out of ceramic and I assume the ball and stem is metal if that is any help.

Many thanks,

Caroline. Xxx :smile:

Comments

• constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Caroline,

I think just to be on the safe side get a letter from your doctor, that should be fine, my husband has electronic implant simular to a pace maker and he has a special card. He reckons that it does depend of what type of metal was used. as to whether your hips metal will be picked up or not. He does have other metal work in his back wgich has never set any alarms off.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a replacement hip and also metal in my ankle.....I'm flying this Tuesday so I asked my doctor for a letter.
    Did read in Arthritis care {old mag I think} about someone who alwasy set the alarms off but they took her word for it .....the third time she had to show them her scar to prove it???????
    Anyway ask your doc for a lettter
    Love
    Hileena
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, In these uncertain days I'd get a letter from my GP. Can you manage to walk normal distances? If not and you need a wheelchair I think I read somewhere that the airline need to know in advance, I'm really not sure about this, but someone on here probably knows and it is good to cover everything for a trouble free journey.
    Hope you have a lovely time! Love Sue xxx
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    HI

I have used airports twice since I had my hip replaced and not had
    a problem going thru security, apart from last time when the underwire
    in my bra set the bleeper off. :roll:

I didnt think about getting a docs letter but it might be an idea
    to ask about it.

Have a good holiday.
    Kath
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    I have replacment knees, elbows, and ankle so alot of metal. I have flown from Gatwick and Heathrow and never had a problem. I just told them I had artificial joints and they were fine. Also JFK and Alacante wern't a problem either. I did have to take my shoes off when the metal detector made my ankle bleep!!
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi....well it will be interesting to see what happens to both of us LOL Now that I've got the letter In wouldnt mind setting the alarrms off :lol::lol::lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    You will definately set the alarms off!!
  • Compositor
    Compositor Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi

I have flown from Manchester quite a few times since my knee joints were replaced, I have always mentioned it to whoever and they have always gone through the rigours of a pat down and metal detectors, but, it doesn't usually take long, although, I find it difficult to put shoes on and off now. I was at Wrightington Hospital a few weks ago and noticed something on the notice board regarding a card system you can apply for that suppose to help you through the process...still looking into it, does anyone know about it? Good Luck.

Compositor x
  • LexyB
    LexyB Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi

We had a letter in the last Arthritis News about this - it's called an Orthocard, and many people swear by them!

A doctor's letter is also a good idea if you don't have an Orthocard.

Have a great holiday!

Lexy
  • cazaline
    cazaline Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Hi All!

Had an amazing holiday in Berlin, went far too quickly though!

Just thought I'd update you guys - I called the doctors surgery and they told me it would be too late to get someone to write up a letter explaining about my hip replacements, she said another nurse had similar experiences and just explained and they were fine with it. Anyway, I decided to take my discharge letter along with me just in case.

On the way to Berlin, I didn't set off the Metal detectors which was a relief! I was getting so nervous that I would, but funnily enough on the way back at Berlin airport security, the walkthrough detectors picked up something, so they had to scan me up and down with the hand held device, I felt so awkward but the lady was friendly luckily. I think what made it more awkward was that no one at the airport seemed to speak English. I knew it was my hips that set it off as the handheld device wouldn't stop bleeping as soon as she moved it over my hips. I tried to explain that I had hip replacements, she may not have understood but then asked if I had had operations and she seemed satisfied with that!

I wonder why it is that hips only set off some airport security detectors and not others! Thoughts?

Anyway, I'm absolutely shattered - done more walking in the last 4 days than I have in a life time! My poor feet are suffering and have blisters :(

Have a lovely time away Hileena wherever you go! Hopefully you wont be setting anything off :).

Take care all and thanks for your advice!! :) xxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi, I was the same....just arrived back tonight.......On the way there I set alarms off and on the way back I didnt.
    They just took my word for it and as someone said ....the usual pat down and security check and that was it
    Dont know why it sets some off and not others
    Love
    Hileena