Oh to be in England now that April's here!

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 26. Apr 2011, 14:00 in Community Chit-chat archive
Oh to be in England now that April's here ( Home Thoughts from Abroad by Robert Browning )

I was in the Cotswolds today, and the countryside looked even more beautiful than usual in the sunshine. Everything seemed to look so vibrant and colourful, with the pink and white blossom on the trees, the yellow fields of rapeseed plants, bluebells growing among the trees, and the wonderful lilac wisteria flowers on some of the houses.

It made me think of the words of the poem by Robert Browning because England ( and the UK ) is such a beautiful country, especially when the sun shines. I like to visit other countries, but I'm glad that I live in England. Sometimes we don't fully appreciate what we've got, but England in an April like this takes some beating.

Joan :grin:
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My sister and I were discussing the exact same subject on Monday night. We were discussing holidays as you do - she and her husband are off to visit his sister and family who live in Canada. We got talking about the various places we had been to in England Ireland Scotland and Wales and more importantly the places we had not yet been to on "home soil". We both agreed that the only thing that sometimes spoilt holidays at home was the weather. And we agreed even that is not so important now we are older, more difficult with young children. Its true though that The scenes and colours of home are truly hard to beat - especially on a day like today!
    Cath
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    do go abroad for sun but you notice the green when you get back off the plane comming home there no place like home val
    val
  • fayrose
    fayrose Member Posts: 241
    Options
    Absolutely agree with you Joan. Our garden is a picture of new spring flowers and as for what's going on in the pond ........ well, I have to look away .. :eek: :wink:
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Great Britain is the most beautiful place I have been to.
    Been quite a lot of places, lived in Africa 11 years but Britain still takes my breath away.

I love it
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I agree Joan.Some parts of Britain are breathtaking. I don't think I could ever leave.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Please Joan Send us some of that lovely English weather It's rubbish here in Spain I'll pay tou back in July when we are scorching and you are soaking :green :green :green :green
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. It seems that you agree with me that England ( and the UK in general ) is a very beautiful country. It isn't perfect, of course, with many areas spoiled, but we still have miles of unspoiled countryside. I just hope that they can be preserved for future generations, and not ruined by buildings, roads, etc.

Tone, unfortunately, the rain is the price we pay for our ''green and pleasant land''. I think that if you fly over the British Isles when you've been abroad, it's the colour green which you notice the most, and it's the colour which always welcomes us home. I like the unpredictable nature of our climate, and I love the different seasons too. ( You can remind me that I said that when we are soaking in July :!: :roll: :lol: )

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    I quite agree and now that the sun seems to have taken a break, I appreciate the last few days all the more... Spent all day yesterday in the garden and then went to a BBQ :D

Nxx