Hello from the USA

Options
jean123
jean123 Member Posts: 642
edited 26. Apr 2011, 05:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have copied this from the say hello forum, as not too many people look at that.

Jean123

karydoughty
Post subject: Hello from US
New post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 00:11

I've from Tennessee in the Southern part of the US and have been diagnosed with RA for seven years although it took twelve years to get that diagnosis. I've had good years and bad years since I've been diagnosed. I've been on NSAIDs Biologics (Enbrel, Remicade etc.) methotrexate, plaquenil and steroids with varying success. Remicade lasted the longest (three yrs.). I had a complication that caused me to have kidney stones (over two hundred in the last 3 yrs.) and nine lithotripies last year plus MRSA (drug resistent staph) in both my kidneys. I lost 50% of my kidney function and the ability to use NSAIDS and Biologics until I am MRSA free for a year. Meanwhile I'm on steroids and have gained a ton of weight. I keep my nieces but do not work outside my home. My husband's company has excellent insurance so that Biologics only cost us $87 for each vial and I can see any doctor I want. I'm fortunate to live in a city that has quite a few rheumatologists so that the wait list to see mine the first time was two weeks. I wanted to see what the experience that those in other countries have with RA. I have five friends with RA and we are all different in the type we have and the severity of our disease. I have pain all the time everywhere but my knees are the worst. I have to use a cane to get around until I'm old enough for othopedists to give me knee replacements (I'm 38). I keep myself busy with art, crafts, teaching an ancient form of Greek and writing for my own amusement. I would like to find others who maybe experience the same level of pain or who have the same interests or both.

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kary Doughty, Welcome and I hope you are liking the site, It is great to have someone from the USA and hope we can all swap idea's to help so we can help each other. Nice to meet you and hope you make the most out the forum and join in with the topics they are great!!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Kary
    And a very warm welcome to the forum, I have OA so I cant help , but I am sure someone will be along soon.
    The thing is we are having a very rare heat wave here in the UK, so yes you guessed it is very quiet on here.
    I do hope you stay with us, as everyone are so supportive.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too!

Sounds as if you have had an absolute nightmare with your RA diagnosis and treatment and I am so sorry to hear that. I'm 43 (I think!) and I've had RA for nearly 16 years. I was lucky in that I was a "classic" case and my diagnosis was very straightforward. Like you I have had most of the drugs going and am currently struggling on with methotrexate and steroids whilst I wait to start my third biologic (Rituximab) in a couple of weeks time. Hope you will find the forum as helpful as I have done since joining a year ago. I was computer-less for a few days recently and can't tell you how much i missed it!

Love Tilly xxx
  • paddyw
    paddyw Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi Kary.And welcome,What part of the USA are you from?Its good reading how different we are in treatments etc.Our national health service leaves a lot to be desired,some times it works and others not.Lots go for private health care if one can afford it.I have RA had it a while now Take pain killers when needed.Will look out for you Regards Pat W
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Kary,

Nice to meet you, you'll be well looked after on this forum, the people here are really nice. I have OA so I can't help you, just wanted to say hello and welcome. There is a chit chat section where you can join in with general chat and at vals cafe, there is virtual coffee and a bite to eat, and often have a really good laugh.

Hope to catch up with you around the forum

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Hi Kary , welcome to the forum , it is interesting to hear how you are treated in the USA. I have family over there in Florida but not had much contact for a lot of years . I hope you enjoy the forum and find it friendly and helpful , I love coming on with my problems or just for a chat ...well bye for now hope to see you around the forum......jillyx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Kary

Welcome from me too. I hope you enjoy being part of the forum, I find it full of useful information and I hope you do too.

Juliepf x
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Hiya Kary I'm another one from abroad I live in Spain Believe me they are a smashing gang on this forum And collectively what they don't know about arthritis isn't worth knowing :grin::grin::grin::grin:
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Kary, welcome to the forum and for taking the time to share your experience and what sounds like a damned tough time with RA. I do hope that the MRSA is given the boot as soon as possible and glad that you have good treatment and care from the medical services.

I have OA, amongst other things, but I do like to offer some help where I can. I am a retired nurse so I am never far from my virtual clinic room.

I hope you find the forum helpful and supportive, people here are truly great. Pop into the cafe as well, in the chit chat forum, we eat cake and chocolate and it has no calories.

(ps, I loved all my time in the USA, tennessee is one of the few states that I have not had the pleasure to visit).

Take care
    XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Welcome from the UK! Like others I have OA but have learnt a lot about RA from reading and also from the local support group. One thiung I try to keep in front of my mind, is that arthritis is so individualistic. Glad that you manage to 'do' things, it is so easy, isn't it just to wallow in self pity and pain? Enjoy these forums!