CUTS , means no help at all now it seems

Options
jilly
jilly Member Posts: 503
edited 22. Apr 2011, 07:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone , I have just got back from the GP, went to see about pain in my arms , seems it is carpel tunnel. Anyway while I was there I asked about a wheelchair , at the moment i have to borrow one from my dad, she told me with the cuts i cant have one for outdoors only for indoors , is'nt that maddness , how do i manage outdoors then. She had no answer.
Then I asked about a stairlift as i cant get up stairs anymore , I have had two rails for a few years but now that does'nt help , she said she will ask for someone to come out but she doesnt think I will get any help.
Why do they make you feel like you are asking for the world , I have no pension because i only have 23years in , I put a small stamp on when i was young, so now at 61 I dont get any help . This country is getting like a 3rd world country . They dont look after the old or sick at all now . Sorry for rant but I am so fedup .........jillyxx

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I'm sorry that you haven't got the wheelchair you need. Have you got a local wheelchair services dept to assess you. They send out occupational therapists who assess what you need to keep you independance, if so, ask your gP to refer you to them. A lot of people have wheelchairs that can be used either inside or outside, that might be the answer to your problem.
    Don't give up, keep on at them and hopefully you will get the chair that you need to help you. Love Sue xxx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Well that's how it is we are third world now as half the third world is here getting what you paid in for I'm sorry to say, it's not rocket science we are over run with those who haven't paid in but get it all for free while you have to suffer, welcome the 21'st century 3'rd world theme park once known as England.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    Have you tried asking the Red cross for a wheelchair on hire.....I dont know how long you canb hire them for but I know I got one when it was necessary and I couldnt put myfoot on the ground for 6 weeks.....They asked for a contribution when they got it back and that was it.
    Love
    Hileena
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Jilly

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. And I do agree with Mellman, nowadays it's the foreigners who get everythign and the english are left to suffer. You will have to keep pushing until you get somewhere. I know you shouldn't have to but that's the way it is now. Keep pushing, and they will have to listen.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • jilly
    Options
    Hi and thanks for your replys , I have cooled off now.
    I agree with mellman and karen this country has gone to the dogs . Some people seem to get everything , then others are told get on with it . I have worked all my life,I have never been on the dole ,my children work hard and have never been on the dole,
    working hard does you no good . you need to learn how to play the system in this country.
    Anyway i will not give up . I bet i dont get one for inside never mind out. I will let you all know how i go on . all the best ............jillyxx
  • keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Things can be tough for those in need & it really is a sad state of affairs but I think it's incredibly wrong & more than a little racist to blame the 'foreigners' as you lot put it. Britain is a multi-cultural society, has been for decades, get used to it.
    315yexv.jpg
  • jilly
    Options
    You cant come on and say 'you lot are racist ' I only said it is wrong after a life time of paying into the state and never ever claiming anything i cant get a little help .I have got my own personal views as to why the goverment isnot helping people any more but this is'nt the place to express them.
    I am not racalist , I dont want to say any more so I will leave it at that..............jilly
  • keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Jilly, I was more referring to what Mellman & Constable said, not yourself.
    315yexv.jpg
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Keith,

I do understand what you are saying, all the people that come over here and are working, that's good, but recently my sis-in-law who is losing her job and her home was told by a council official that she doen't stand a change because the homes now automatically are going to the immigrants that are coming in.

Iam not racist, but I do believe far play. I could not care less what colour people are they can have green and pink spots, my feeling is that our govenment is to quick please other countries and cultures and forgetting about the true english man. I did not mean to offend.
    Karen xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Jilly

I would find another GP that is more caring, OT, hospital or a consultant if you see one.

I found this on the web: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HealthAndSupport/Equipment/DG_4000495

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jilly
    Options
    Thanks Elna, I have looked at the site info , I will see my doctor and ask for a referal , thanks again ............jillyx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I do agree that the people to blame in your case appear to be the ones who assessed you for the chair. I only have experience of locally and the Oxford area, but they are still giveing people that need them, expensive wheelchairs and equipment, but they had to be properly assessed and a suitable chair ordered. My neice has a fantastic electric chair, as she can't walk at all and it can be used inside or out, to get that she had to give up her car allowance, but she didn't mind as she'd given up driving! Do try and speak to a someone at social services. They should help you. Good luck, Sue xxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Jilly :smile:

Do let us know how you get on.

Look after yourself and wishing you all the very best with this.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jilly
    Options
    Thanks everyone , I have decided to have a look on ebay , had'nt thought about doing that . There are some bargains on there, so if i dont get anywhere thats what i will do. We hav'ent got spare money now that it is only my hubby working , I would have loved to have been able to carry on working. but no good worrying about that , it makes you feel guilty when you have always worked . So thanks for all your help , hope you are all not in to much pain , ............jillyx
  • Pherstun
    Pherstun Member Posts: 96
    Options
    I would agree with other posters who have said to see a different GP, or if you can't then to persist with the one you see. Sometimes you have to be persuasive.