More Harm Than good?

Options
paulch
paulch Member Posts: 103
edited 23. Apr 2011, 14:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
I did a little DIY in the garden yesterday screwing up some bits, and today my OA fingers are extremly painfull worse on my right which the joints are swollen ,and my left hand ( which is effected by a stroke is also swollen0 Should i not really do this or is thier a method i could use to help, i have aids for my stroke side , but now my right is failing because of oa in hands and anckles too :|:cry:

Comments

• tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had a hip replacement 6 months When I work in the garden I get aches and pains I wonder if the pain is a fair trade for using the muscles that may just waste away if we do'nt use them :?: :?: :?:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's a very difficult tightrope upon which we balance. There are chores and tasks which have to be dealt with but the trade-off may well be increased discomfort and /or more intense pain. That has to be measured against the seething frustration of not trying to do the things we could always do in the past. It ain't easy. Payback becomes a feature of our lives, we get used to it and adjust, but surely it is worth exploring any gadgets or aids that can help. I cannot help with the stroke side of things but I applaud your determination to get on with things and not be beaten. I think it is important to keep trying to do stuff even if what one achieves lessens in quantity little by little. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Paulch

Good for you for doing some DIY yesterday. Although you are suffering today, you achieved something yesterday and I hope you enjoyed the task. I really think that if you wish to attempt to do something, you should. I also believe that if you do not use it, you lose it. I am sorry that you are suffering right now and do hope that calms down soon but you should feel proud of yourself that you did something yesterday that you enjoyed doing. Well, I hope you did. :smile:

You have not been on the forum for a while, good to hear from you again :smile:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • paulch
    paulch Member Posts: 103
    Options
    8) Thanks for replies i know that OA with me is a bit more complex because of the stroke, resting for a day has eased pain but i had cut my left stroke hand ( as i have less sensation in that hand)smind you its been nice sitting the garden, i take the advise a liitle work but often.
    tc all
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Hi paulch, The trouble is you go out to do a bit , but then you seem to do a bit more and a bit more . The day after you feel horrible and wish you had'nt got a garden. Hope you can be good , a little bit each day . Trouble is it grows to fast does'nt it . Hope you feel better today. ...jilly
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Paul,.

Like Jilly I think a little and often... but for me... I just don't listen and wait for my back to take me out... sadly it is more than happy to do that just now :roll:

Its pacing your self we need to learn.. they say listen to your body but... well mine always says it can't so I override it and then comes the payback... for me its a case of how much pay back do I want... or can I cope with.

Its a balance Paul and its hard to find it but its better if you do. You rest up today and the garden well wild is good for butterflies and lady birds .... but I know exactly how you end up over doing things. Cris x
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    hi, like the others have said it is all about balance, im yet to master it and im a d.i.y lover so end up in right states . i do now use a electric screwdriver instead of the normal ones (it cordless) ive also got a cordless drill, they are lighter than the mains ones. i also have a little gadget a bit like tweezers which grip a nail or screw rather than using your fingers. easier to grip. i hope all goes well

coco x