Exercise Test

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 25. Apr 2011, 06:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya

Well I phoned me local leisure centre and on 3rd May, 2.30pm, I am going for a 40minute trial where they will see what i can and cannot do in the gym. I think its already a foregone conclusion that I will need one to one person with me as my balance, strength is as weak as a newborn lamb's! The initial trial is free and then its not too much a week and pay extra for the one to one person........
I only pray there is no person(s) with cheese string leotards up jacksy hopping about, pumping iron as will feel like a right heffalump!!!

Can i request good wishes....

Elainex

(Man I miss that Sol, im so worried about that lil dude)....

Comments

• Pherstun
    Pherstun Member Posts: 96
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine

I'm sure you'll be fine! I know what you mean about the heffalump syndrome but not everyone is a skinny minnie and even if they are most will have had to work for it.

The local leisure centres are usually more chilled out compared to your big gyms also. People really won't be looking at you, they will be getting on with their own thing!

Let us know how you get on. :D

Debbie
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    you enjoy yourself.i went to the gym for 4 years i had to stop because my legs would not stop hurting the more i did the worse i felt at the end of the time i could not walk because they ached and i felt worn out.
    i enjoy going fast and beating records i loved the treadmill rowing machine exersize bike i have one in my bedroom.
    take care joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Debbie

Yeah well remember going to exercise classes year ago and there was an instructor with that type of attire who kept coming up to me and others saying stuff like "come on, up the pace"...Bash!!!
    I will just have to see when i go.

Elainex
    Pherstun wrote:
    Hi Elaine

I'm sure you'll be fine! I know what you mean about the heffalump syndrome but not everyone is a skinny minnie and even if they are most will have had to work for it.

The local leisure centres are usually more chilled out compared to your big gyms also. People really won't be looking at you, they will be getting on with their own thing!

Let us know how you get on. :D

Debbie
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Joan

Well i wont be doing anything fast or beating reocrds for speed, strength...Tired just hearing that!

Elainex
    dachshund wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    you enjoy yourself.i went to the gym for 4 years i had to stop because my legs would not stop hurting the more i did the worse i felt at the end of the time i could not walk because they ached and i felt worn out.
    i enjoy going fast and beating records i loved the treadmill rowing machine exersize bike i have one in my bedroom.
    take care joan xx
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Elaine,
    Good luck and enjoy. I have just bgought a nintendo Wii with Wii fit plus. It's great fun and I can do the exercises I want at my own pace also there are lots of games that do give exercise.Most of the yoga is a no no as it involves things I really can't do with my joints lol!!
    Anita.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Anita

You see i have looked at that but i cant stand very long at all so dont think it would help me...Could be wrong of course....
    I suppose it is good being able to do it at your own leisure and no spectators!

Elainex
    tiggernut wrote:
    Hi Elaine,
    Good luck and enjoy. I have just bgought a nintendo Wii with Wii fit plus. It's great fun and I can do the exercises I want at my own pace also there are lots of games that do give exercise.Most of the yoga is a no no as it involves things I really can't do with my joints lol!!
    Anita.
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

Yeah I know what you mean, my feet do fee like I've run a marathon even though I only do half an hour a day,but you are not just standing still I don't know if that would make a difference to you!
    I borrowed one and tried it for a week before I bought one.I also had the issue of whether I could handle the controller as my hands are quite badly deformed!

Anita.

Hi Anita

You see i have looked at that but i cant stand very long at all so dont think it would help me...Could be wrong of course....

Elainex
    tiggernut wrote:
    Hi Elaine,
    Anita.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Anita

Well no i need my stick if im gonna be standing for balance...My left leg is the bad one and it will simply not take the wieght of me, my leg would colllapse, hence why id need one to one at exercise testing....

Its good you can use it though...

Elainex
    tiggernut wrote:
    Hi Elaine,

Yeah I know what you mean, my feet do fee like I've run a marathon even though I only do half an hour a day,but you are not just standing still I don't know if that would make a difference to you!
    I borrowed one and tried it for a week before I bought one.I also had the issue of whether I could handle the controller as my hands are quite badly deformed!

Anita.

Hi Anita

Elainex
    tiggernut wrote:
    Hi Elaine,
    Anita.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Good luck elaine on 3rd may. Don't suppose you will be doing the ropes and beams on your first visit :lol:
    I am sure with one to one help you will be fine and find some easy and beneficial excersises. Just dont over do it and enjoy,

Juliepf x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Julie

Well as long as they realise ive got limited capabilities then it will be fine....

Elainex

julie47 wrote:
    Good luck elaine on 3rd may. Don't suppose you will be doing the ropes and beams on your first visit :lol:
    I am sure with one to one help you will be fine and find some easy and beneficial excersises. Just dont over do it and enjoy,

Juliepf x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    You just go for it, they will make sure that the exercises they give you, in no way put you in any danger of hurting yourself.
    .....when you get there...deep breath head held high and in you go....next time will be a lot easier....and you will be really proud when you come out.
    Good luck
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

Well I wont do anything im not comfortable with thats for sure...And leisure centre is only around corner but may take car as dont know how will be afterwards...Like tin man probable outcome!!!
    It will be daunting...If its owt like Olivia Newton John "Physical" vid...Im off!!!

Elainex
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    You just go for it, they will make sure that the exercises they give you, in no way put you in any danger of hurting yourself.
    .....when you get there...deep breath head held high and in you go....next time will be a lot easier....and you will be really proud when you come out.
    Good luck
    Barbara x