My hens mugged me .

Options
jilly
jilly Member Posts: 503
edited 26. Apr 2011, 06:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all, My hubby has gone away today for a week working. He has tried to leave the house sorted so i can manage without him.
We have a few rescued battery hens , I went to collect the 4 eggs they lay most days , I also took them a treat, they love cabbage .
I got out my wheely thing and off i went , I opened the door and one of the hens jumped up and grabbed the cabbage , I dont know why i fell but down i went , the chicken where all over me grabbing the cabbage .
I could'nt get up it must of taken me 5 minutes , I crawled of to the door on the one knee that bends . I did manage to pull myself up but i was exhausted .

I limbed my way back to the house , feeling really sorry for myself. So thats it until tomorrow , i will throw the treats in first in the morning .

I still love my little hens , I have had them a year now , they are still not over being in a cage all there lives but they enjoy the freedom and sunshine they get now . It is so cruel to treat animals badly because they are only there for food or to lay eggs everyday until they are 14 months old then off to the slaughter house. Sorry i wont go on anymore about that.
I just tried to get up to make myself a brew , I am so stiff and hurting i will have to wait . .............hope you are all having a nice day.......jillyx

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,941
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jilly.
    i know how you feel i've fallen over in the garden a few times. i threw a ball over the fence and lost my balance and i fell and i also fell another time and i could not get up i had to crawl across the garden into the kitchen and into the living room where i could put my arms on the settee and push my self up
    i had not long come out of hospital after having tkr.
    my knee is now 8 years old and i have not had a problem with it.
    take care i will think of you tomorrow morning.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • jilly
    Options
    Hi joan it was good to hear your knee is still going without problems for eight years , i have only had mine about 2 years , it is great now but it took a long time to get back to normal after the op , longer than it did for my hip , i thought it would be the other way round , It is strange how easy it is to fall once you start with arther in the knees . Lets hope we manage to stay on our feet , thanks for the nice post , hope you are well................jillyx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I reckon you fell over due to sheer surprise - you weren't expecting your hen to jump up, were you? I know they like cabbage, my neighbours had some hens for a while - cabbage and raisins were the preferred treats! Falling does shake one up, there is no doubt about that and I hope you are feeling a little less shaken now. There's nothing like a good cuppa to sort one out - thinking of which, it's time to put the kettle on, methinks! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Jilly Im so sorry, its really scary when there is no one around to help....I hope you recover very soon
    There are some rescued hens across the rd from us....I love watching them running round the garden....and they have really fattened up.
    Take care
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Oh Jilly Im so sorry, its really scary when there is no one around to help....I hope you recover very soon
    There are some rescued hens across the rd from us....I love watching them running round the garden....and they have really fattened up.
    Take care
    Love
    Barbara x
    .............(deleted as contraved forum rules Jean123)
    Come on Tinks give us a clue.... :roll: :grin:
    Love
    Barbara
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Tinks, it's not good to call someone a liar or stupid on the forum. I have no idea what you are referring to, but you are running the risk of offending people.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • jilly
    Options
    I dont understand why I am a liar, I only put it on because i was in the house feeling sorry for myself , I have read the post over and over again , I dont understand what you are saying.

You could at least explain yourself please ....jilly
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh tinkerbelle, you are the limit. I suggested in my PM to you that you should delete your responses, my phrase was 'Offensive doesn't begin to cover it' - because it doesn't. You were - and are - bang out of order, I think most people would agree with me on that. As to your suggestion about what I told you to do - that's not my style at all, as you should know. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    It is not, as Dreamdaisy has said, appropriate to accuse others of lying on the forum. If anyone has proof that someone has told a damaging lie, then they should let myself, or the moderators know. In the meantime I am removing the accusations from the public forum, and can only aplogise to jilly for their unwarranted and unwanted appearance on this thread.

Jean123 (forum supervisor)
  • barbara12
    Options
    OH like I care no one tells me what to do ever .......grr Will miss you all terribly though :sad: :sad: :TINLS
    Tinks please dont leave us.....I would rather you talk to us than leave...
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jilly,

Oh flower been there and fallen over them :lol: I love the ex bats, I think they have far more personality really and blue feet lived till she was a good 12 as well... mind delinquent made at least as old....

You get them follow you every time you go out the door?

I got one ex bat with one eye... she seems to have become my best friend...... Funny though cus she likes being picked up and carried....

Hope your feeling less sorry for your self and mine also like their mash but they actually also like their corn and layers and for once are indeed laying well :grin:

have to beat the dogs to them though :wink:

How many you got flower? Cris x
  • jilly
    Options
    Thanks Jean123, I am still waiting to hear what she says i lied about ,I should be able to defend myself , she as blackened my name on the forum . Would others like to be called a liar and not know why. I have been a member for a few years , I used to use alicea as a username , I stopped coming on for a few months , then when i tried to use the name it didnt let me on , so i joined again in the name jilly . Some of the members know me from then.
    I have never lied about anything why would i , I thought we posted on here for help, and to make us feel we are not on our own .............anyway I cant defend myself i dont know what i have done , I feel like i am now going to be looked at as a liar. I dont know that answer , my hubby is away at the moment so i hav'nt got him to talk to , ..............thanks to you DD , for trying to help sort it with your usual wisdom. It has left a nasty taste in my mouth and spoiled it for me . I will leave it for a while to see how i feel . bye jillyx
  • skezier
    Options
    Oh Jilly,

People sometimes let their feelings of frustration etc come out towards the folk on the forum ..... I don't know as they mean it and hope you are ok?

I always think you can't change what people think and there isn't much point in getting upset cus they are wrong but you can never prove it.

hang in there flower and please don't go cus some of us would miss you. Cris x

Tink I don't know whats going on here but if you need to talk it out them we are here for you as well..... but flower you mustn't go upsetting folk.

Just know we are here if you need us as well. Cris x
  • jilly
    Options
    Hi Cris , I have read all your posts , you have had it hard. Yes i love my chickens , 2 off them have to live out of the pen they get picked on . As you say they all have there own personalaity , I worked in a battery farm when i was very young and always felt sorry for them, thats why when i could i got a few. It is hard work when my husband is away , i should have thrown the cabbage in , they love it and always mug my husband he thinks it is funny , he was brought up on a chicken farm , they had them in deep litter .
    My dogs would love to get them , I have to make sure i lock the gate when i go out or they would be in. I feed them on layer pellets and corn it took a while to get them used to it but they love it now , plus every scrap from the kitchen , they lay nice eggs much nicer than the shops , it is well worth having them for the eggs .............jillyxx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Jilly,

I so agree with you... the difference between our eggs and the shop bought ones is amazing eh?!

Yep things get tough sometimes..... I having a bit of a bad run i guess.....

Oh flower I couldn't work in battery farms... I did do relief milking and that was hard sometimes but thankfully now a days they have kept the bull calves.....

Where mt sheep are (so nice to be able to say sheep again :grin: I have just got a new one... Jilly she is so feral :lol: never had a flock sheep before .... Do you think she will tame down :wink: ) anyway there are 2 dairy boys.... Holstein they look like... they make life hard sometimes cus they only see me as a feeder...... :lol:

Jilly I also got a handful of pedigree ones ( a mate breeds the pedigrees but they become surplus very young eh?)

2 cram leg bars..... they are lovely and lay blue eggs... mind I was so disappointed cus the yolks are the same :lol::lol:

Hens can be nasty and understand the need to keep some apart.... don't they fight at times (again only the ex bats)

I have 5 ducks so deep litter can't happen... they are the messiest things known to man :lol::lol:

You hang in there flower and leaving you a ((( ))) and a cuppa. Cris xx
  • jilly
    Options
    Hi Cris , My dad used to breed turkeys for christmas,he had about 1500 every year , I went into labour while I was plucking , I was 17 so it was a long time ago, my daughter was born that night , she is 44 now .

As you say it is not nice keeping chickens in cages like they did , I hear it is being stopped and they are giving them a little more room, I dont think it is much better, a token gesture thats all.
    It was nice to talk bye for now ............illyx
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Jilly

Hope you are feeling better, fancy being mugged by your chickens just for a piece of cabbage, I do hope that when your husband gets home he will give them a good talking to. I wish that I could come and make you a nice cuppa, can only offer the ol virtual one. I do hope that you feel a bit better tomorrow after a night's sleep.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    Hope your ok jilly and them chickens behave tomorow, sending u (((()))), i hope you get a good nights sleep and feel beter in the morning x
  • jilly
    Options
    thanks Karen and Coco, They love cabbage so at least they didnt try to eat me , my husband rang tonight and told me off for going in while i was unsteady on my feet , i will throw it in tomorrow. They are lovely little things i have forgiven them .
    See you both on the diet club tomorrow. ..............jillyxx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Jilly,

the real trouble with farming is its so intensive now a days and the price for the end product is often very little... mind broken mouthed ewes are making very good money which came as a shock to me :wink:

They are set to phase out battery hens but ... barn hens... they really are a mess and often have their beaks clipped as they can and do fight..... Never sure which is worse really..... what do you think?

I love turkeys... I really must get some this year. I had some ex breeders for Christmas and they lived till they were7 and 9 but they aren't long livers cus they get lung issues..... my vets say they are the wrong ones and if I got the bronze or the Cornish ones they would live longer... might try that but I do love turkey as... they are so thick :lol::lol:

Nice to talk to you too and you take care. ((( ))) and I have a cockerel who sometimes goes for me... its quite scary when they leap at you and he has done a bit of damage as well..... he is on his last warning :wink: Cris xx
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Some hens appear not to appreciate their new life of freedom :roll: after all one has done for them !. Perhaps a nice Easter egg will soothe them.
    Happy Easter to you and the hens.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi Jilly

It sounds like your hens wanted the treat too much and didnt see you as an obstacle in getting the cabbage! I get what you say about them having had a hard life and they arent as well behaved as can be so I guess can excuse them a bit for being over zealous....
    Hope youre okay and not too bruised, just glad you managed to get up, i know id have struggled.......

elainex
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Poor you Jilly. I think it is so very easy to lose your balance with all our joint pains and as for Joan falling after throwing the ball I have come close in a similar incident so now I refuse to chuck the ball back over the hedge until my OH is home to do it for me.
    Hope you are okay now?

Elizabeth.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Jilly

Hope you have recovered from your "hen mugging"! Last week my friend bought 2 chickens (Tallulah and Matilda :grin:) and they have just laid their first eggs. I would love to have chickens but I too would like to rehome ex-battery hens and I would want to let them run free in our, not very big, garden. And As my husband is always telling me when I mention it - you can have a garden or free range chickens - not both!

There was a lovely article about chickens in Gardeners' World mag this month which said "...you must realise that those photos in books of self-sufficiency which show chickens beautifully set off by snapdragons and poached-egg flowers were taken in the first three minutes after they were allowed to run free-range in the ornamental garden at the request of the photographer. Any longer and the snapdragons would have been snapped and the paoched-egg flowers scrambled". Thought that was a wonderful comment! :grin:

Love Tilly xxx