First Humira injection!!

Options
mp1952
mp1952 Member Posts: 425
edited 10. May 2011, 03:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Well, after weeks/months of waiting, I finally did my first Humira jab yesterday morning... and it was OK! I iced my thigh first and after a couple of attempts, when nothing seemed to be happening, I realised I had not actually taken the red 'end' off the injection pen!!

It stung a bit when I was counting to ten, but otherwise it wasn't bad at all and I don't seem to have any irritation at the injection site . I was hoping I would get up this morning and find my RA had disappeared (joke ) but it's still with me - so I will have to wait and see if the Humira works for me.

Hope you are all enjoying this lovely weather.

Marion x

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Marion!

Well done for "surviving" your firs Humira!!!!! Really do hope it works for you.

Just a tip which might be helpful. I used to take my Humira pen out of the fridge at least an hour before I used it to allow it to warm up a bit. This makes the liquid less viscous and I found it was much easier and less uncomfortable to inject that way.

Again, well done!

Love Tillyxxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Marion,
    Well done! I have never injected into my thigh ever! It looks so painful so I stick to my tum where there is a cushion of fat. I knew it would come in useful.
    It usually takes up to 12 weeks to work but with a lucky few it works quickly.Don't write it off just yet.
    I do hope it helps you and will be keeping an eye on your progress.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Well done Marion! Bloomin nerve wracking isn't it! You'll be a pro at it soon though and by then hopefully it will start working for you. I
    Off Humira at the moment due to chest infection but have noticed a difference in stiffness/aches first thing in the morning so the Humira was starting to work.
    Wishing you the best of luck and well done again hugs xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Marion,

Well done you! I so hope it will work for you and start to inside the 12 weeks thing as well.

Hope your doing all right and nice to bump in to you again. Cris xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Marion,
    At last the day arrived...well done for doing the injection it was a big step for you. Fingers crossed for a speedy result for you. No wonder you got in a pickle with the red top, I would have been in total panic, so hats off to you.
    Yes this weather has been a very welcome; it makes everyone so much more positive doesn’t it.
    Hugs,
    Lv, Ix
  • kmr
    kmr Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Well Done :smile: what is the differance between enbrel and humira as my daughter has a choice between the two,
    Thanks
  • mp1952
    Options
    Thanks Folks..

I actually feel the Humira might have started to work already! I have not had the shooting pain in my left ankle today (which I have had for months) and my wrists/hands also seem less painful.. however, that might just be wishful thinking on my part!!

kmr - I was given the choice of Humira, Enbrel snd Infliximab: I chose Humira because it's just one injection every two weeks, whereas \i think enbrel is 2 injections and Infliximab is by infusion in hospital..

Marion x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Marion :grin:

How good it was to read that you've started with the Humira jabs :wink: and even better that it may already have started to make a difference!

Lots of good luck for a positive outcome... and less sting to the injections. :eek: I'm with the others.... when I was on Humira I took it out the fridge for an hour beforehand and always injected in the tum..plenty of padding there. :lol:

(((hugs)))

Iris xx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Marion,

Just leaving a ((((( )))))) and a hope xx

hey Iris SO GOOD TO SEE YOU and yep i's shouting! xxx
  • tillytop
    Options
    Oh Marion that is such good news!

Kmr - Enbrel and Humira are both anti-tnf drugs, but both work in slightly different ways I think and, as Marion says, are injected at different frequencies.

Love Tilly xxx
  • kmr
    kmr Member Posts: 108
    Options
    thankyou :smile: we will figure it all out one day Ha Ha
    you are all a great help x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi Marion, that is good news and I hope it has made, and will make, a good difference to your RA and your life. It's doing what it should for scorpio and I hope the same applies to you. My fingers are crossed! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Marion,

That's so good to read and I so hope after all you have been through and put up with this one really is the one that will do it for you. Another (((( )))) and a handful of treats for the girls as i did some bagging up and have a mixture of all the left overs Cris x
  • mp1952
    Options
    Thanks again folks..

Well... the Humira is working brilliantly!! It is incredible. I had an improvement 2 days after the first injection and now my joints are better than they have been since I was diagnosed 3 years ago..

As far as side effects go, however, 6 days after the injection I developed a very very runny nose and constant sneezing.. I don't know if it's my first Humira-related cold, or if it's hay fever. I will have to wait and see if it clears up. I also have a very dry mouth so have been drinking endless cups of decaffeinated tea. The day after the injection I felt very very tired and actually nodded off in the podiatry clinic! I have also had an occasional shooting headache in the back of my head, but it's not been constant.

So far then, it does seem like a 'miracle drug' for me - but it is very very early days..

Marion x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi marion

I have just read your post (been away a couple of days) and I am so pleased that the humira is helping in a big way.
    Long may this continue.
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Marion,

Oh flowr tis good to read that. I do hope its more hay fever though cus as you know the sulfa and now the mtx have given me a cold for the last 2 years or more....

Fingers crossed you're not joining the order of the snot monsters. Love and a ((((( ))))) Cris xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Marion,
    What wonderful news, you deserve it after all the time you have waited to get the Humira started.
    Fingers crossed that the sneezing is just a blip and things settle down soon. Do you suffer with Hay fever? This wind has been blowing all the pollen and petals off the trees.
    I hope you got the all clear from Podiatry when you had finished your snooze there!
    Lv, Ix
  • scorpio
    scorpio Member Posts: 159
    Options
    i have enjoyed reading this thread Marion; i am so pleased for you

i enject into the thigh too - leave the pen out for 30 plus minutes before injecting and inject in a fatty (not muscular) part of the thigh......high up halfway to the inside.......that is the least painful place............i know, i have tried all round the leg

good luck
  • mp1952
    Options
    Hi folks

Well, I did my second Humira injection on Sunday and everything was OK.. my face felt hot about an hour after I did the injection and I felt fatigued the next day, but otherwise it was fine.

I don't want to say too much in case I 'tempt fate' - but really, the improvement in my joints is amazing. I haven't felt this 'normal' since 25th December 2007 - which was the day I started having excruciating pains in my hands and joined the 'RA club'!!

I have still got the runny nose though, so I think it's definitely a side effect and not hay fever..

Marion x
  • tillytop
    Options
    Wow! That is BRILLIANT news Marion! I am so pleased for you. :grin:

Re the side effects - it might be worth speaking to your rheumatolgist cos it might be that something as simple as anti-histamine tabs the day of the injection and for a few days after might just sort it. I used to take anti-histamine along with my humira for my significant injection site reactions and it made a big difference. Just a thought.

Long may the improvements continue Marion! :grin:

Love Tilly xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Marion

It is lovely to hear when a med works and makes a big difference to how you feel.
    Long may it continue.
    Thank you for your updates.

Take care
    juliepf x