hip and back pain

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 28. Apr 2011, 06:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
Wonder if anyone can help.
My left hip has been bothering me for a while. Now I'm getting a sudden 'jolt' like pain in my left hip at the back, where the sacro-iliac joint is. The pain is so sudden and sharp that when it happens it makes me nearly bend over and takes my breath away. It's not there all the time and can happen when I stand from sitting or even when I turn slightly. A friend at work who has had her hip replaced, says it's exactly what she used to get before she got her op. Any info anyone?
Thanks,
Magenta xx

Comments

• constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Magenta,

I have OA in the left hip and unfortunatley I do have the really sharp pains , almost as though my hip is going to give way. I am having my op next week. So get it checked out.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Eileen

that OA is really hitting you hard isn't it?

With your history l have to agree with karen, get things checked out. Better know what is going on don't you think?

Personally and not being expert l don't like the sound of it :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Karen, Lynn and Toni,

I know there's something not right but it's trying to get the drs to agree and do something about it. I'll see what happens today.

Lynn, I did enjoy the Easter hols. I was off work the first week but working the second but did some nice things with my family. Hope you enjoyed them too,

Thanks everyone,
    Eileen xxx
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi,
    Im sorry your hips are giving you trouble, i just wanted to say that mine also feel like they are going to give way, even crumble? Also the sharp pains can be really intense and certainly do make me stop what im doing. Its not a good thing and i share your thoughts about docs looking into our concerns.
    I hope you have it checked out and things get a bit better for you,
    take care,
    seamonkey
  • magenta
    Options
    Hiya,
    Back from drs. I had to really push for her to get me referred for an xray but she did-eventually, then I felt like a complete nutter! She thinks all my pain is being caused by the fibro.
    I can't go until next week so I'll not get the results for ages. I'm now terrified of walking fast or doing sudden movements because of this strange pain. It feels like something is slipping in my lower back at my hip :shock: I'll keep you updated,

Thanks Magenta xx
  • Pherstun
    Pherstun Member Posts: 96
    Options
    I have been told by a chiropodist that I have sacro-iliac inflammation and the rheumatologist recently told me I have borderline ankylosing spondylitis. I was given a leaflet about AS and it shows the pain running from each bum cheek down into the legs.

I get those kinds of pains regularly, especially in my left, which is one of the reasons I walk with two sticks at the moment. Best thing I can suggest is to take smaller steps so the hip is moving less. It won't totally eliminate them but should help.

Also try not to walk 'stiff' ie don't clench the hip/bum muscles - it makes mine worse - swing the leg as normal, just in a smaller step!

Debbie
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the info. I'm worried about it. Dr convinced it's the fibro and doesn't think the xray will show up anything but at least I'll know soon,

Magenta x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Well done Eileen

glad you got the xray form!

At least you will know.

I agree with Debbie though walk steady for now - no bombing about or ballet moves for now...... :???:

Love

Toni xx