Mtx and other peoples germs

Options
remixmum
remixmum Member Posts: 82
edited 6. May 2011, 07:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been a really good girl and taken all my meds for the past 8 days, inc my 2nd dose of Meth and dont seem to have any side effects.

My problem is that my my immune system is compromised and my boys have both got colds.

How do I protect myself from catching it. They are 18 and 17, so adoption is no longer an option, tempting though it is sometimes.

I really do have to stay germ free this week as I have a wedding to attend

Thanks in advance yet again

Geri XXX
Geri XXX

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Geri

The bit about adoption did make me chuckle! :lol:

In terms of how not to catch it - I think the only thing you can do to try to avoid it is to be absolutely scrupulous about contact with potentially infected objects and surfaces (eg kettle handles, tv remote controls, phones, taps, light switches, door handles etc). I am a bit paranoid when it comes to germs and if OH has a cold I run round disinfecting everything in sight with antibacterial wipes! I often joke that if he sits still long enough he will be disinfected! I also use gallons of antibacterial hand gel too. Alternatively you could consider locking them in the shed until they are better (or hiding in there yourself!) :lol:

That said, I have been on on a fairly hefty dose of meth (20mg weekly) for some time, together with a goodly dose of prednisolone and have not, so far, succumbed to anyone else's germs.

I also take high dose vit c tabs - not sure if that helps but I'm happy to take it "just in case"!

Really hope you don't catch it - and that you enjoy the wedding!

Love Tilly xxx
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Geri,

I have been on 25mg of meth for a year now (it could be longer) i was on 20mg for a while before that and to be honest i don't really do anything special. I do try and avoid the more serious things (measles, chicken pox, swine flu etc) but colds i have not really done anything. My hubby gets more colds than i do, i would suggest like toni that you use wipes if you are worried and put them in quarantine :lol: ( only Joking), just try not to let them cough over you.
    When my great nephew had suspected swine flu and i had been with him all day the day he got the temparature the dr said you are more infectious before you get the symptoms but it takes 10 days to know if you have got it. i didn't get it. we are all different and some people catch more things than others with or without meth.
    Try not to worry to much. I hope you are ok for the wedding next week and have a lovely time.

Tracey
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I went to my dad's for the weekend when he had a cold. I used 'First defence' nose spray (but you have to check if you can use it with mtx) and we both used copious amounts of hand gel. I didn't get it and I nearly always do. Make your family use the gel too!
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Geri,

I am kinda 'lucky' cus I have had a permanent cold now for over 2 years... it just keeps on reinfecting and I have a bit f fever and then the snot monster moves in.... It means I don't catch other peoples though....

Like Tracey i am on 25ml of mtx and minus the cold I have been lucky and not caught anyone else's germs... yet.... I also was told by the gp that i am only infectious to my self.... :shock:

I guess the gel and the not touching things is the answer for you and sadly don't hug them as its droplet transfer and airborne as well I believe?

leaving you a germ free ((( ))) and a hope you will avoid it. Cris xx
  • remixmum
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice my friends.

Antibacterial wipes and sprays are being used on an industrial scale, and my boys have moved into the airing cupboard for the duration :lol:

Before being quarantined, they did point out that in my previous post it looks as though I am going to THE wedding.

Sadly I had to turn down that invitation, because of a family wedding on Sat :roll:
    Geri XXX
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    So you've confined them to the airing cupboard? Good plan!

And as for turning down your invitation to THAT wedding - well you've got to get your priorities right haven't you? :lol:

Really hope the quarantine is doing the trick and you make it to the wedding on Saturday without any germs!

Love Tillyxxx
  • remixmum
    Options
    Well, I had a wonderful weekend and even managed to get to a garden party on Sunday. Dont worry factor 50 was used. :grin:

I let the lads out of quarantine on Monday :lol: , as they had to go to college on Tuesday.

On Tuesday I went to have my first set of bloods done at the hospital and have a lovely bruise on my arm. so I called my Mum and persuaded her to take me to lunch because of my "ouchie" (I am 46 btw) and while we were out I started to feel really ill.

So I came home and went to bed and made the germ carriers (sons) my slaves, :roll:

I have just let them off the hook with a few suggestions for universities miles away from home :roll:

geri xxx
    Geri XXX
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Geri,

Hope your feeling a bit better now and thats the airing cupboard dwellers are looking after you? Hang in there and be better soon. Cris xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    remixmum, I hope you're feeling better today. I love your parenting style. I have 2 sons - one is about 250 miles away and the other 5,000 so, if you want any tips.....
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright