Any advice on best way to help son

Options
suncatcher
suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
edited 8. May 2011, 15:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi my son has been for a paidiatricions appointment today. I know he has dyslexia, however we feel he has more problems than this. The school have been good getting etra pe and he goes in open house which is a mobile where they help children experiencing problems with school. I tried to get him dla but failed. gp and not enough evidence and they wrote to him rather than school. The gp referred him to the paediatrician. they are sending him to occupational health in three months. They are piecing together evidence and cannot tell me yet for certain his other problems. I feel he may have dyspraxia and he has some autistic tendances. I did say to paediatrician my concerns and she could not be drawn to defiantly say for sure as he has a number of issues. if autism its only mild. the social needs lady wonders if he has dyslexia but does not know for sure and warns me its going to be a long process. I accept him for what ever he is but want process speeded up so i can get him the help he needs. I am paying a private tutor out of my dla as he is so far behind with reading etc. has anyone any advice of experiencing of this which i could use to get son and family more support and help on this. thanks Joanne
Joanne

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi sorry no experience of this but try not to rush things. they will get results for you when they can and the extra help. just be there for him as i know you already are. try not to add pressure to what he must already be going through, make all taskes enjoyable. he will catch up all children develope at different speeds and when they work out what help he requires then you will know what he requires and can push for it till then you never know if you are doing more harm than good, to much pressure can turn a child off learning for life good luck would say try not to worry but know that imposible so loads of hugs val
    val
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Occupational health for kids very good, once assessed should be lots on offer e.g. exercise classes to strengthen weaker muscle hence falling,clumsiness with dypraxia, also swimming programmes etc, exercises to help with writing like dot to dot for extra practise. Speech therapy also good if child has trouble getting the right word out etc, again referral needed. Basically its a battle to get all these things. Education seem to be slow so i suggest you see educational psycologist privately to start off with and go to library and read some books. Some good ones are Born on a blue day by i think its David Tennant or a similiear name and Only a mother could love him by Ben Polis, both books give insights into different types that you may recognise some traits etc - good luck (dont think you would get any extra benefits though).
    p.s. unless tutor is dyslexia trained/aware i dont think it will help, sorry to say. there is though a great "book" you can work through with your child called Toe by Toe which will bring reading on no end.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    To get DLA you tend to need lots of back up from healthcare professionals and local support groups. I always find the GP is the last port of call.If he gets a diagnosis of autism do make sure you contact the local groups as they will provide support, trips out etc.
    I know with my boys I had to get reports on their difficulties and loads of help filling out the forms.But I was successful both times I applied but i had to make it loud and clear where their problems were.
    Dyspraxia, Dyslexia and autism are similar in their issues and his appointment will hopefully be the start of getting targeted help.
    Good luck Jo and sorry you are having to fight so hard,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Oh Joanne

My heart goes out to you....l had similar problems with my youngest....

she had dyslexia in the end, but l too was paying private tutoring and also in the end an educational psychology report.

I was alerted to thee possibilty of it by an EYE test. which looked at colours l think. maybe an optician in your area does the tests???

You are doing the best you can do at the moment and the process is difficult to 'speed' up...keep his self esteem up as you are doing - that's the best thing you can do ever.

Love

Toni xx
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    Hi Joanne,

I was wondering whether your son's school has been involved in getting him the help he needs?

The school should have a SENCO (Special Educational Needs Support Officer) who should be able to get you in touch with the LEA (Local Educational Officer) and in particular the Inclusion Officer. Their role is to get the right support for children with additional needs at school and at home. They have links with a wide variety of agencies from Educational Psychologists through to Occupational Therapists and in addition they are linked to agencies within the wider community such as support groups, toy banks, activity centres etc. who all work together and commmunicate with each other.

My advice is to go to your son's teacher and arrange a meeting asap and get them working on this with you if indeed they are not already doing so.

Before A.S took its toll on me I worked as Headmistress of a little school and was the SENCO. I would be pleased for you to private message me if you would like to ask any questions or need any further advice as I have worked with a wide variety of children needing support and the associated agencies.

These things do take time but getting your son's teacher, SENCO and Inclusion Officer onside will help no end. Be honest with them about your concerns, what goes on at home etc, and let them know about your DLA being spent on tutoring etc. and see what can be done at school with the help of a learning assistant etc.

It may also be useful for you to explore you local councils website. It should list the services/assistance it provides for children and schools and there should be a list of contact numbers and email addreses.

All the best
    Arna x
  • suncatcher
    Options
    Thank you for the feed back. sorry have not been on line for a bit.
    The school son attends is very good and are helping him loads. I had his eyes tested for the colors it was no help to him but they gave him eye exercises as his eyes jump lines they found. the exercises should help his eyes work better this and a finger under each word.
    I got him a bike he still has problems peddling it as it is bigger but it will help.
    I am hoping the occupational health will get him eating better. He still cannot cut with a knife hold his fork funny. I did mention about it at school and they had notice it and his pencil grip not been good. Its just waiting. I just want a diagnosis. The school read me the report the physiologist wrote they were not going to see him until next year again the school said now he has been to a paediatrician they will have to come in again. The paediatrician said they were going to write to the school to get more information on him and tell them what we discussed. any way thanks again
    Joanne
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Hi i have worked with children with special educational needs over the years. I am glad that the school is really good and supporting you and your son. Have the school started the process to obtain a statement for your your??
    Children with dyspraxia do have difficulties with holding pens and writing and i have worked with one child which was given a laptop work on for this reason. You need to check that your child is sitting in an area where he can be contained or anchor himself. Beside a wall with another child beside him would be brilliant but it all depends on how they have the classroom set out.
    Exercise is great to strengthen his muscles and any hand eye co-ordination games would be brilliant for him. Toes by toes is good but mistakes can be made is you do not know what you are doing.
    Remember he is your child and be pushy and do not take no for an answer. The system is changing all the time and in some areas only statements are given for children with physical difficulties which would include your child.
    Hope everything gets sorted quickly for you.
  • suncatcher
    Options
    They have given use extra pe, He is out of class in a special class of 8 pupils doing work in a different way. He has an iep for his targets. He has been looked at by a educational physiologist they just are still finding out for sure what his problems are. I have rang the autism help line and from the info they sent me he defiantly sounds like it could be that. and my daughter and hubbies traits i can see well in the info also. With my daughter its career direction which concerns me as her dreams are higher than her ability. My concerns are not any different than other parents but i think she needs structure in her career she will follow. I am not sure animal care is the right one she defiantly is not vet material which she wants. which is a worry. anyway thanks for reply from Joanne
    Joanne
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Glad they are giving plenty of right support. It is great that daughter has ideas of career but she if like a lot of young people will change her mind. I am sure if she wants to work with animals there would be a job for her somewhere....it just might take careful looking.