So that is why I am fat!

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 18. May 2011, 16:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have just listened to a report on Radio 5Live about a research project carried out on young men in Sweden. No, I am not fat because of young Swedish men (take that any way you like, rehab) what the researchers did was to deprive a group of young men of sleep (been there, done that :smile: ) and they found that they gained weight whereas the ones who were allowed to sleep without disturbance did not.

So, I am fat not because of beer, wine, biscuits, chocolate, ice cream or steroids but simply because I have not slept through the night since June/July 2007. Simples! :grin:

PS Mind you, I ain't a young Swedish man - perhaps it doesn't apply to me. :sad:
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Have heard that before DD about sleep and what have you been doing with young men :P :p x
    event.png
  • Dottydoodah
    Dottydoodah Member Posts: 169
    Options
    Fabulous.

I dont sleep much and i'm half Swedish so i got TWO excuses now :mrgreen:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I think I need a young Swedish man to explain all this.....then maybe I could work some calories off :eek: :oops: :grin:
    Love
    Barbara
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Ive heard that too dd

Think it was when I was raiding fridge at 3am cause I couldn't sleep :lol:

Juliepf x
  • barbara12
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    barbara12 wrote:
    I think I need a young Swedish man to explain all this.....then maybe I could work some calories off :eek: :oops: :grin:

'BARBARA!!!!!!!!'
    r020.gif
    its mi age :lol: i can dream :grin::grin:
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    my dear Barbara, I will have Benny & Bjorn sent over right away.. Not exactly young I know but it's all I could get at short notice.
    :shock: :shock: Hope you like flares & beards :shock: :shock:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh rehab, I think you have not quite grasped the concept: they were not eating whilst their sleep was disturbed, their hormones were affected: yes I know, I know, men and hormones, flawed argument from the word go.

kneegirl, my days for young men are long gone: give me the middle-aged with their moobs and beer paunches any day: they do not disturb one at all.

Barbara, dreaming not required. Go for it, girl! :grin:

Dotty? Which half is Swedish? Your male or female bit? :smile:

Julie? Thank you!
  • barbara12
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    my dear Barbara, I will have Benny & Bjorn sent over right away.. Not exactly young I know but it's all I could get at short notice.
    :shock: :shock: Hope you like flares & beards :shock: :shock:
    Benny and Bjorn....now you have just burst my bubble :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    Options
    sorry hun..
    I'll start saving up :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    sorry hun..
    I'll start saving up :wink:
    Im Free.... :lol::lol: sorry couldn't resit....think I had better go to bed :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    Options
    you & your john inman moments eh? Lol
    Hope you're ok hun.. :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    you & your john inman moments eh? Lol
    Hope you're ok hun.. :wink:
    Night and thanks for the laugh... :lol::lol: I needed that.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Dottydoodah
    Dottydoodah Member Posts: 169
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Oh rehab, I think you have not quite grasped the concept: they were not eating whilst their sleep was disturbed, their hormones were affected: yes I know, I know, men and hormones, flawed argument from the word go.

kneegirl, my days for young men are long gone: give me the middle-aged with their moobs and beer paunches any day: they do not disturb one at all.

Barbara, dreaming not required. Go for it, girl! :grin:

Dotty? Which half is Swedish? Your male or female bit? :smile:

Julie? Thank you!

Hehehehe! now that made me laugh out loud. I dont think i have any male bits :shock: :lol:
    Usually i get asked which half is Swedish and i always say the bottom half.. well.. i was a red hot woman once...many moons ago. :mrgreen:
  • tjt6768
    Options
    that is a great achievement.. I do know that for some it would not work though. Personally I'm ok as I can lose weight just by having no appetite, only good thing arthur has done, lol.. And I know, it's not recommended...
    I think the hydroxychloroquine had something to do with it too.. Appetite has started to increase since I stopped taking that.
    What makes me mad are the folks who could do something about out & can't be bothered... I know quite a few on here for example who would love to be able to do the exercises needed but can't physically manage them.. Some people are unfortunately I'm a viscous cycle.. One that is NOT is mi dad, not that he'll read this or indeed pay attention if he did... Now you've started me ranting.... Sorry..
    I do get annoyed by his apathy though.. He is very over weight, and it's that that caused his diabetes, sleep apnia, cellulitis and his bad back, of which I've heard no end of while they've been here last two days......... I've had to bite my tongue very hard indeed... He doesn't know how lucky he is.... Grrrrr..

Sorry :oops:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss, PPPPeter (did I get the number of Ps right?) you are to be commended - but don't be too dismissive of us slightly portly ones. Some of us face real difficulties in doing exercise etc. I am on crutches (I have been since 2002 and they ain't gonna leave me) my arthritis has badly affected my knees, ankles and toes, so I find any exercise of any sort very painful and awkward - and the swelling of my joints after immediately undoes any good I have done in trying to get a little fitter. Tony is right, some of us are in a vicious cycle - we know what we need to be doing but we cannot physically do it thanks to the depredations of arthritis.

I can completely understand your frustration, tjt, with your dad. Bite your tongue, there is nothing you can do. The only thing that might - might - bring him to his senses is a spell in hospital with summat nasty, casued by his lifestyle. But even then I wouldn't bank on it - creatures with bad habits find their bad habits very hard to change, we all know that. Good habits are soooooo dull! :smile:

Right, I have a meds conundrum, I am off to LWA. DD
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Hope that you reach the desired weight Peter.. Next time you're going round the block, drag mi dad with you eh? LOL

Oh my dear DD, you have no idea how difficult it has been not to slap my pater (no folks, I wouldn't ever do that for real) every time he moaned about his back hurting.... It was all a ploy anyway, he usually moans about his back whenever he wants his drinky lager.. :roll: He must have gone to some very secretive school of training for orthopaedics.... Apparently sitting upright is bad for his back as it :roll: hurts :???: And slouching is the best way for him to sit... Also, his seat in the car is soooooo far back his bald spot touches the rear windscreen.... :shock: :shock: Painkillers would never help in the slightest, that's what lots of lager is for... All this from am over weight diabetic who has sleep apnia, cellulitis, breathlessness, chest pains and angina... Yet exercise full stop is bad for him... That's even light exercise.... In fact, his solution to angina is to totally ignore it, and maybe have a drinky lager ad his back is hurting.. Not a chance of him ever taking his gtn spray, oooh no, that gives him a headache!!

Rant over..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Get stuffed or I'll get mi dad to sit on ya! :green :green :green
    e050.gifMe-Tony