Blue tit babies

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 25. May 2011, 09:34 in Community Chit-chat archive
I posted yonks ago about the possibility of blue tits nesting in our bird box: all went quiet for a while and I thought they had chosen elsewhere but no, they haven't, Daddy BT is a very busy boy and Mummy BT joined in today and the cheeping that erupts when they return with beaks of wriggling/flying things! What a racket. I hope I catch the fledging this time around: in previous years we have missed it as it always seemed to happen on Cup Final Saturday: much cheeping before the final then nothing after. This year much cheeping long after the final so I/we might be in with a chance! DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 19. May 2011, 08:53
    Options
    Hi DD we've got em in our bird box same as last year, once I even saw the young come out for the first time I was chuffed, hey we have a pair of Robins and one of them will feed from my hand now, this Robin is always around when I go out follows me round like a pet, I love wild bird got 3 feeders on the go all year round.
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    oh thats lovely DD weve got blackbirds some where as they sit on the fence with beaks full from the garden but no bts in our boxes , so will change there position next year hope you get to see them take flight
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    High bertboy, our bos ix facing Suth East not sure if it's the tatally right direction but it works as we normally have them nesting in there.
    Oh one last thing, they also roost there in winter and they say you should take them down in late September clean them out and steralise with boiling water then put some straw or hay in them so they can roost in it.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ours faces north. It used to be hidden by much foliage but is now very open, which I thought might have put them off but no, they land on the top of the trellis (to which the box is attached on the endpost) then slide along checking stuff out, then they dive in and out, quick as you like. DD
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    That's great DD, I'm being very very well behaved at the moment.. Not easy as I have my mischievous head on this evening :green :lol:

I've some antics to make up for, been a real boring fart of late, lol..

e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Thats lovely dd....glad they stuck around.

Keep watching today could be the day.

juliepf x
  • jayneys
    jayneys Member Posts: 122
    Options
    GOOD MORNING and its such a lovely morning,i have blue tits in a nest box in a very old apple three in my top garden ,not sure if its the same birds every year .They are such good parents back and forwards all day long,by the time the babyes fleg the mum and dad look very tatty but still they continue to feed them .When thay leave the nest i have to shut my cats in for about a week ,i seem to find baby blue tits hopping all over the place.We also have a lot of blackbirds,one in pertic dive bomes the cats unbelievable but true .Hope you all have alovely pain free day . JAYNE XXX
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The baby birds are a delight, aren't they? I am glad to hear you shut your cats in for a while to give the little ones a chance. My garden is used by all the neighbours' moglets so I cannot do that and as a result I remove, on average, three or four little bodies; last year they had a bumper season for killing, I think it was seven. DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    We have a bird box and every year like clock work the blue tits come and nest in it. But this year what with the garden reconstruction we had to take the box down, the blue tits came a few weeks ago and realised the box had gone and decided to stay in garden and just cheep like made! It sounds like they are having aa right how do about 'were is our box!' and shouting all sorts! I like to think they could speak in a bird type language! Anyway we will be putting up a new box and a bird bath will be on the chippings will have to see if they like that as a nice new treat!
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Hi DD I have blue tits nesting also they scouted out the box and now they are making endless trips in and out box to get and take in food I wonder how many young there will be has your box a moveable liftable top so you can peek in mine has not I would like to carefully show grandkids young but I will count them hopefully when they leave box never ever had birds nesting inh a graden box before ????
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Their roof does not lift off - and even if it did I doubt I would run the risk of disturbing things. I was given the box on my 40th birthday (aeons ago!) and it has been used - oooooooh, let me think . . . . . I think this is the eighth time. Eight times in twelve years - is that pretty good? I have no idea. It's nice to see you around, chrisov. DD
  • fayrose
    fayrose Member Posts: 241
    Options
    Awww, wonderful to have any birds nesting where you can watch their progress.

We have a rookery opposite (where our cars have to be parked, sadly) and it is so good to watch the parents feeding and preparing their little ones for independant life. Lots of songbirds as well. I love seeing and hearing them.

I count us, that are able to see these things as very fortunate, and long may we be able to do so.

Roll on SpringWatch ..... I love it. :grin:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    They've gone. DD