RA & MS

Options
handsy
handsy Member Posts: 209
edited 22. May 2011, 07:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone know of any people who have RA and MS (multiple sclerosis) I ask because I am having some strange symptoms: really tired and I mean really tired, electrical shocks going up my back/neck into my head. Using the toilet numerous times day and night. also pain which i have had for so long which I put down to RA. any info would be good people.

Cheers & thanks for reading.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    There was a mention of this a little while ago, handsy, by whom I cannot remember: there could be a link between the two conditions as they are both auto-immune based, I think that was the main thrust of the thread. We are not the best to advise, your doctors are in a better position methinks, but try doing a search and see if the thread and its responses comes to light. You poor thing, how very miserable and unsettling, I hope you can find an answer soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, as it happens I do know of a couple of people who have both. It is rare, and unfortunate.

The symptoms you mention, could have so many other causes. It is always best to get things ruled out by your doc. If your arthritis is in your neck, then it can irritate the nerves to produce electric shock type feelings, for example.

I have SLE and a few other unpleasant extras and have had to have MS ruled out a number of times, as I have symptoms conssitent with MS. In fact that was my original diagnosis, before other symptoms became clear.

I would make an appt with your gp to put your mind at rest.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi John,

The electric shock thing can very easily be arthritis in your neck so don't go jumping to conclusions. I don't know that there is a particular link between the 2 as such and though a few folk will have both its not because they are closely tied together.

Its something in my case that comes from the advanced spondi though for many reasons I have been checked out for ms a few times now. They have never done it because of the fact i have an inflammatory arthritis, nor cus of the amont of autoimnues I have so thats why I think there is not real link other than chance.

I hope you can get it all checked out and sorted soon Jonhn. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options
    Hi John

There was someone a bit back but l dont think she uses the forum much these days.

Have they done any tests for it yet John? I do understand how you feel though...you must be so worried about it all. We have so many symptoms that sorting out which causes what is a minefield isn't it?

Hope you are ok in yourself though.

Love

Toni xx
  • moodyblue
    moodyblue Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi,
    I have RA and "Secondary Sjogrens Syndrome". RA since 1992 and Sjogrens for ages but only diagnosed in 2008.

Sjogrens syndrome, along with dry eyes and mouth, difficulty swallowing, dry skin, fatigue etc can also include neurological symptoms similar to MS. I think about a quarter of long term RA patients can suffer with Sjogrens too. As if we don't have enough issues already!

So maybe its Sjogren's? Pins and needles, numbness, chronic fatigue and poor circulation?

Hope you can soon find out what the problem is and get some help and advice.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 22. May 2011, 07:57
    Options
    Hi, I get the electric shock feeling in my left arm it only lasts a fews seconds, but it very strange feeling. It is always worse when I'm tired, don't know why! One physio I saw suggested MS and frightened me to death, as I used to work with late stage MS patients. Anyway, she sent me to a neuro who examined me and said that it was just the arthritis in my neck.

If you are worried, go and see someone, your GP may be the best place to start if you feel you can talk to him.

I've just realised that what I said about MS being end stage and bad, please don't let it worry you if you do have MS. Very few people get that bad, a lot of people can work and live normal lives with MS, its like a lot of things, only a few get it severlly. Sorry, if I worried anyone. Love Se xxxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I get the electric shock feeling in my left arm it only lasts a fews seconds, but it very strange feeling. It is always worse when I'm tired, don't know why! One physio I saw suggested MS and frightened me to death, as I used to work with late stage MS patients. Anyway, she sent me to a neuro who examined me and said that it was just the arthritis in my neck.

Try not to let it frighten you, although I'm a good one to say that! Why not ask you GP if they can refer you to neuro or check you over themselves? That should put you mind at rest :wink:
    Love Sue