tiredness

Options
princess935
princess935 Member Posts: 90
edited 24. May 2011, 06:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, i have osteo arthritis in both knees, it is terrible, i bought a walking stick yesterday, not for the pain but because my knees keep buckling, on for a second or two, but in that second i almost fall, so its it help if my knees buckle. I feel so silly and such a fraud using it, im only 33 and feel that everyone is looking at me.

Anyway the reason im on here today is that i dont understand why osteoarthritis make me feel sooooo tired and worn out, people comment on how tired i look, and i feel like i have had no sleep. Why does it make you feel like this.

I feel like a walking zombie most of the time, i am having injections in both knees next week, but half the people i speak to say it worked for them and the other half say it didnt work. Do you thin k if it works that i might perk up a bit and not feel so tired, or am i expecting miracles. I know i will still have the stiffness, that i can deal with.

Anyway thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Tiredness is a factor in all arthritises. The injected steroid into the joint may well relieve the pain and stiffness for a while, one can also have a depo injection into one's backside which is supposed to rejuvenate the whole body - it never has for me so I don't bother with them now. We all vary so much on how we react to these things, I hope the steroid has some benefit for you.

One stick? It is a bit of a blow at first, but once you find that it helps it isn't so bad, plus you can get some very pretty ones so you can colour co-ordinate - and you will be surprised at how many people are using them. Walking poles are good too, the better ones have a shock absorber in the base, that can ease the strain on the hand and wrist. I found in my early days of using walking equipment that I had to concentrate when walking, to avoid tripping, stumbling etc, and I still do. I no longer wander about, looking at stuff around me, it's head up, focus and concentrate, then if I want to look at summat I stop and do so. I have been on crutches since 2002 and find those so much better for support and balance, but then I am a little further down the arthritis road than you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • princess935
    Options
    thanks.
    Just bought one, i wont need it all the time, i think, its mainly for when i stand up from sitting, so stiff and sore, and just acts to help if one of my knees buckle, both knees are sore, but one is always worse than the other so figured if i use it alternativly based on which knee is worse it might help.
    I cant see ot for 3 months as they are back logged so not sure if i am using it right or if i need 2, so just managing on whatever feels like its helping at the moment.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi if you need it use it never mind any one else you will feel more stupid if your knee gives way and you show tomorrows washing to a street full of people mine not quite that bad short term it does get like it has a balloon filled bubble in it and moves on this which is horrrid feeling but meds do controll it on the whole so just take care on the odd day it playing up dut have got stick (saw it cheep) in ready for when meds do not controll it quite as fast and need little more help. do you find knee causes you differed pain in your hip i get this quite bad at times and hurts like well can not even discribe it.
    the tired ness is awfull partly the extra effort everything takes and the lack of good quality sleep rest when you can the only way to cope.
    i hope injection works for you please post and let us know how it going and how much help it gives you good luck val
    val
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Hi , Princess , I also agree with everyone elses' comments . If you feel a stick helps you then use one and to hell with the rest of the world ; it's how you feel that matters . Admittedly , I am exceedingly old at 55 and have used 1 stick , 2 sticks , rollator and now wheelchair throughout my 30 odd years of dealing with this ghastly disease ; but my view has always been , " if you can't accept me as I am , then you know what you can do with yourself " . Take care and concentrate on looking after YOU . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I hope it is a height-adjustable one, your hand should be level with or just above your hip, and you use the stick on the opposite side to the weakest knee, that way you maximise the support. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    hi i have oa as well and the tiredness i too could sleep so glad its friday i have have a longer lay in over the weekend, i know how you feel, infact we could nearly be the same person, i refer to him as arthur i dont like him, i am sure you dont either.

i am now 50 and i really think its dont matter what your age is it is not easy at any age living with our friend who we dont like and if given the chance we give him some of his own medicine back, but one thing i not going to let him take from me is my sence of humour.

i hope you feel better soon,
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    only49 wrote:
    i am now 50 and i really think its dont matter what your age is it is not easy at any age

Living with arthritis certainly isn't easy at any age, Only49, but (and this is not meant as a criticism) I think there are additional problems when you're young. For a start none of your contemporaries can really understand how things are for you, either in terms of pain or ability. I remember my fear of getting off buses as, being young & looking perfectly OK, people used to crowd me down the steps before I could manage to safely negotiate them. I got heartily sick of the semi-disbelieving "Arthritis? At Your Age?" (Indeed, a fellow 'Young Arthritic', Jill Holroyd, wrote a book with that title.)

I'm now 65 and suddenly all my contemporaries are catching up. If they're not going for hips and knees they're having to slow down a bit for other health reasons. So, although the pain etc is the same at any age, the isolation and the battle in your head is, I think, harder for young people.

So, do whatever you have to do to cope, Princess935. Sticks are just part of it. Daring to be/look different will only make you stronger in the long run.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • princess935
    Options
    thanks guys.

I have an adjustable one, black so it blends into my black trousers or leggings lol.

One of my friends thin ks its hilarious, not intending to be nasty, she makes me laugh about my situation and jokes about dancing round my stick when we go out to a party next week instead of the handbag.

The hips - well i have extra bones in my feet and i fractured one 6 years ago, i spent 8 months in different casts and walking boots before they decided to remove it, and then 4 months in a boot after the op, and this made my right hip very weak. I dont have any hip pain thankfully now.

Im gonna ask again for knee replacements, but the answer i got last time was another 15-20 years then maybe, thats awful, i better get saving up and pay for it myself it would be quicker.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I think we {or I} used to assume fatigue was associated with RA and Fibro rather than OA but I have OA and am always tired....
    Could be the energy it takes to fight pain, could be medication....could be a number of things....I havent found out yet :lol:
    As for the stick......I think {especially if you are younger} you are more likely to get poshed and shoved and then fall....but if people see you with a stick they might be more careful....Thats the up side.
    Love
    Hileena
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    Hi Princess I too Have OA and I am always tired even if have slept well .
    have yet to find out why. As for the stick if you feel safer with one then I say use it I know it is hard but please dont worry what others think, all that matters is how you feel. as jillyb has already said if you cant accept me as i am you what you can do. :smile:
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, I have inflammatory arthritis and cervical spondylosis. My mom has cervical spondylosis and she finds the tiredness to be awful. I am not sure whether its the pain, draining you or the fact you don't sleep as well, when in pain? Or maybe the extra effort it takes to do things?

I think you are wise to get a stick, it will give you confidence. I hated having to use walking aids at first, but they 'enable' us to do things. The fear of falling, is horrible. When you are young as well, people just don't realise. Mind you even on crutches, I find people push and jostle and expect me to move out of the way for them!!! :shock: Wonder if I am too polite!! :lol:

You can get some really pretty walking sticks, I have a pink floral one!!!

I wish you well x
  • fudge
    fudge Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Hello princess, it is sad to have arthritis at such a young age and feel the need to have extra support just to keep you upright. Don't feel bad about it, better to have it than a fall. I started many years ago, but was quickly put on two elbow crutches, you feel so much more secure using those, or just one - and I kept dropping the stick :roll: sometimes it landed on someone - I just felt silly having it handed back to me :oops:

The tiredness is part of the arthritis package, so much more effort goes into the everyday things you do, and you never seem to get a proper nights sleep.

I hope you have a good time at the party you are going to, and before the night is through have your very own version of " pole " dancing :lol::lol:

Be your own person - arthritis an all, go at your own pace and pay no heed to them would have a pop at you.

sending a hug
    fudge
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Princess, I feel tired alot but sadly this is just another factor of having Arthritis and all the other conditions under it's umbrella. I'm 37and sometimes feel a fraud. Now I have siesta's in the afternoon, 1-2hrs in the afternoon it gives me the boost of energy I need to get through day.
    And about using sticks and having people looking at you, I use walking crutches round the house and a wheelchair outdoors. And I get people staring at me and talking about me, I hate to say it but it's mostly the blue rinse brigade! When I came off a cruise a couple of years ago now, we where about to get to the coach we had booked to get us to wythall service station to get picked up from and an old couple where sat in the disabled seats we had booked. Phil my husband told them we had booked those seats due to me being disabled, her response 'your to young to be in a wheelchair'. I woun't carry on explaining what happened next because it still upsets me and it is very long, except to say I ended up wheelchair locked to front windscreen area in dangerous position due to the old women refusing to give our seats back! That is ageisum as well as anti disabledism! If there is such a word! If you ever want to message me for a chat please do so by private message, take care Amanda, (bubbadog). :smile:
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    That is dreadful........you would think they would have more manners at their age {says she at 65 :lol::lol: }

Love
    Hileena
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    you telling me! I thought it would be the youngsters but they have been great! but I supose older people don't expect to see a young person with osteo-porosis. Never the less older people go on about ageism and being picked on and being labeled and yet they have no problem having ago at people and ordering people about! But I will say their where a couple of older couples who where in their 60's and able bodied on my last cruise and they where lovely and stayed with me on deck while my husband went off the ship to take some pictures and film of florida keys because wheelchairs wheren't aloud off. So I wanted to say not all older people are rude, just a small minority. :smile: