bad night now off for lung function test.

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 20. May 2011, 14:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Last night was dreadful. I coughed so much I was sick and my chest hurt. At least they will see me at my worse. I am now thinking it may well be asthma. I remember how my daughter no 2 struggled with asthma but she says the meds are so much better nowadays so at least it is treatable.

My thought are with Poppy too as she is having her test today too. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of this. I will report back later. I am feeling really nervous so good vibes please.

Elizabeth x
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Elizabeth

So sorry you had such a dreadful night but, as you say, at least they will see how you really are.

I know how worried you are about this test, so I am thinking of you lots and sending plenty of calming vibes.

Lots love Tilly xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Sending you an entire Beach Boys track of 'good vibrations', tkachev.

Sorry you had a bad night but I always feel it's no bad thing if docs see us at our worst.

Hope the outcome is good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry you had a bad night and really hope it will go well today and they help you. Be in your pocket. Love and a ((((( ))))) cris xx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Will be on pocket duty and thinking of you all day , hope it all goes well . Jillyb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

I am right here with you.

I hope they solve it for you Elizabeth and get you on some meds ASAP.

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good luck, I hope you can cope OK with the tests but if not it may well give them a great big fat clue as to exactly what is going on with you, which may be no bad thing. Asthma meds are vastly improved to what they were, I watched the genesis of them and tried most of 'em and my asthma is a thing of the past (mind no, no immune system helps that too). Let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Oh dear lovey, not a good night for you. :cry: Hope it goes ok today, I will be thinking of you and hoping for some answers and treatment which will help.
    gentle hugs and postive vibes coming your way. ((( ))
    Chris
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hello there, thank you so much for your lovely vibes and the Beach Boy tracks...wonderful. They worked cos the appointment went very well and not as frightening as I expected. That is often the way!

The outcome is that the puffa helped me get far better results than without it so it looks like asthma. However the follow up appointment is not to 7th June. So until then I will struggle on.

Thanks so much for cheering me up with your lovely messages and DD if you still do have asthma and you have a spare minute perhaps you could let me know if it causes any issues with arthritis. Its not a subject I have explored so far. And I also spelt worst as worse....sorry.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,
    So glad your test went well and you may have some answers soon.
    I'm glad mine is over as I really struggled with some of the tests, the helium one was nigh on impossible :shock:
    Hopefully I'll get the results soon and if ok can go back on my meds.
    Take care Elizabeth and thankyou for your support hugs (((((()))))) xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • tkachev
    Options
    I am back on the meds but they do make my chest worse so I will play it by ear.
    Helium test! That sounds a bit scary. Do you know what they are looking for Poppy? Trouble is you need your meds and all the investigative stuff delays help for the arthritis, although i know they have to do this.
    I suppose nothing is conclusive at this point in time and I might still request that chest x-ray they suggested at the beginning of April. But the asthma meds I tried did make a difference to my results.

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options
    HI Elizabeth

Maybe your gp WILL GET A LETTER AND PRESCRIBE THE (sorry caps lock) inhaler for you anyway.

I beleive that some NAISDs
    can make asthma worse so l should get some advice as soon as you can.

Poppy l hope they get your results sorted soon too and you both get treated properly

Love

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    I beleive that some NAISDs
    can make asthma worse

Quite right, Frogmorton. My childhood asthma returned about 35 years later when I started Ibuprofen. (Unfortunately, it didn't go when I came off it but it's very mild now.)

Elizabeth - I hope things improve for you now and you can start to feel confident of no repetition of those scary nights.

Poppy - Helium? Did you float home with a very high pitched voice?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    :lol::lol: the helium wasn't a nice test :sad: as they make you inhale it and hold for 10 then big breaths in and out! I coughed and coughed, which set off the rib/lung pain and we had to give it another 2 attempts.
    I'm SO glad you're back on your meds Elizabeth, and hopefully when you go back on the 7th you'll get the asthma inhalers and you'll be fine.
    Love and hugs xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Of course I have a minute for you, tkachev. I have found that the asthma has had no impact on the PA or OA and vice versa. I have cheerfully taken meds that asthmatics are supposedly not allowed (scaremongering in side-effects leaflets as per usual methinks) and they have not affected anything either. Mind you, that could be because having such a suppressed immune system means the asthma won't flare up 'cos it won't recognise anything to which it thinks it should react. Unlike you (and Poppy) I have not had to stop the humira for any great length of time so even if it has done little for the arthritis it has helped the asthma. I should really learn to be grateful, yes? Feel free to PM me any questions you have, I will do my best to help.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry I've only just seen this and therefore missed sending you some positive vibes. :roll: Glad everyone else's vibes worked and things weren't as bad as you thought they would be.

Trouble is 7th June seems a long way off when you feel rough.

Hope you have a better night tonight.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tkachev
    Options
    Linda it does seem a long time off. My thoughts exactly. It is frightening gasping for air and having to keep clearing my lungs. And to make matters worse I find sitting upright aggrevates the pain in my left leg (hip, knee and ankle)as I am stretching straight for long periods of time. So the sooner I get on with this inhaler the better.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thankyou DD, Frog and Sticky for the asthma info. It will be a whole new set of rules to learn....what to eat/drink/avoid/take etc. I stopped ibuprofen years ago due to stomach issues(although that remains a problem). I'm glad its not causing you problems DD. With a suppressed immune system you'd think it would flare much worse.That was one of my concerns.
    I have issues with my PM's. I always lose the messages when I type the recpients name in so usually just reply to messages only!

Cheers for now
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Not read through properly (migraine) :roll: but just want to wish you good luck, and hope you feel better soon.

((((())))),
    Lynn xx

Lynn off to bed. I hope it goes quickly.

E xxxxx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Poppyg1rl wrote:
    :lol::lol: the helium wasn't a nice test :sad: as they make you inhale it and hold for 10 then big breaths in and out! I coughed and coughed, which set off the rib/lung pain and we had to give it another 2 attempts.
    I'm SO glad you're back on your meds Elizabeth, and hopefully when you go back on the 7th you'll get the asthma inhalers and you'll be fine.
    Love and hugs xxx

I'm not sure if going on the meds helps but when I saw nurse B. in early April she said to stop and go see the GP and GP said start again.If I get much worse I will probably stop them again until June 7th.
    Your appointment sounds traumatic Poppy. I found it difficult inhaling air let alone helium!

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    An over-active immune system triggers asthma, so if it's suppressed that is a good thing, yes? It honestly has not bothered me since I began the sulph etc, I do not inhale anywhere near as much of the steroid-based meds as I used to, and things are under control. I have horrendous memories of childhood and the battle to breathe - this was long before the meds that are now available were even thought of, even now I panic if I get stuck in a jumper or stick my head out of the car window as we bowl along: stupid or what? :oops: Never mind, eh? The panic passes - all things do. DD