Hospital Letter/Appointment

Options
cpontefract
cpontefract Member Posts: 73
edited 21. May 2011, 11:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Finally..... My appointment came through today to see the consultant. Its the 8th next month, and only 2 months late lol

I feel so relieved that its finally here, and I can get some answers to my questions etc

Do any of you take lists with you?? I have a massive list of things i want to ask, but i think i may skim it down to 2-3 questions that are important to me.
What you think?? x
Claire
Keep Smiling :D

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Claire

So glad you have (finally) got your letter and glad it's not too long to wait now.

I always take a list with me, cos it's so easy to forget what you want to say when you get there. And I really wouldn't try to reduce your list - you've waited long enough for the appointment and I think it is important that the consultant has the whole picture. If you can, I would recommend that you take someone into the appointment with you as well. My husband comes with me and he knows beforehand what I plan to say so he can "prompt" if I forget anything. Also it's great to have someone to chew things over with afterwards because I find it's surprising how much I don't remember.

Really good luck with it.

Love Tilly xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Take the whole list, and practise some sort of shorthand so you can note his answers too (though don't get your hopes up too high on that front, it seems to me they cannot answer that much). One of the biggest troubles with this damned pestilience is that everyone is diiferent in how they are affected by their version of RA, PA, OA, AS or whatever, so blanket-answers cannot be given (unlike the blanket names this dross is awarded). I hope you can also take another body with you for physical support - the docs are a little more inclined to listen and not fob one off if another human is in there to witness proceedings. I wish you well and do let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Take your list with you.....I always did.....pre hip op. He used to laugh at me and say...have you got your list :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Claire,
    Oh yes we are into lists on here. do you keep a diary of your symptoms too? I always make a list as it does help the Rheumy to understand what is going on and therefore which way to treat the condition.
    If it is a long list make a “heading” list in order of your concerns to jog your memory. If you want you can take someone with you to help remember the finer points of the appointment.
    Good luck with for your appointment and let us know how you get on.
    Lv, I x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi claire

glad your appointment has come through at last.
    Yes yes yes take that list.
    I take lists to everyone.

Good luck on the 8th
    Juliepf x
  • cpontefract
    cpontefract Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Thank you guys, this is only my 3rd appointment so still getting to grips with things!
    Im off to pick up a notebook tomoorw so i can write down day to day how things are etc and also all the pains & things im not able to do or struggle with. Hopefully that will help with my ESA claim too, as some things come and go!

Hope your all well xx
    Claire
    Keep Smiling :D
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Claire
    Im so glad you have your appointment, I did shrink my list a little bit, but then I wish I hadn't, take the lot with you, and if you want just highlight the more important questions
    Wishing you well with it all
    Love
    Barbara
  • misslizm
    misslizm Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes, do take a list! I had my third appointment with my consultant last Wednesday and took a list for the first time. I'm so glad I did, as I could have kicked myself after the previous appointments for forgetting things I had wanted to say. Your hospital appointments are so valuable, so it's important to get the most out of them. Good luck!! :grin:
  • kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    Options
    Hope your God is with you longer than mine was with me - he soon passed me onto his Godlings!!
    event.png