Big Juicy Tomatoes!

Options
sugarbuttie
sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
edited 21. May 2011, 06:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone think that tomotoes can cause flare ups?

I read that they can & it got me thinking. Last week at work, my colleague & I got through 4 large punnets of vine tomatoes. We got them cheap on the market & ate them as snacks every day (exclaiming all the while how tasty they were & how healthy we were being!).

This week I have started with the worst foot problems I have ever had - heels & balls (!) throbbing. So much so that walking & standing have been really painful. Took a day off today to rest.

We are now wondering whether the 'tomato fest' of last week has triggered this off???!! I usually suffer with hands/shoulders/knees (inflam arthritis). Feet never usually a problem.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm not sure mi dear but I do know that those wicked things should be banned, lol, horrid little demon seeds.. Satan's testicles is what I call em... They're pure evil..
    They congregate on a night plotting how to take over the world. I was once holed up in a lodge in the forest surrounded by them, four nights I was stuck there..
    I caught cabin fever, don't think I ever recovered to be honest :???: :???: :evil :???: :???: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    They contain high amounts of acid and vit C. Narsty, narsty fruit they is. When I was younger and troubled mightily with eczema they were one of the worst culprits, them and oranges plus the rest of the fruit family (apart from bananas, oh deep, deep joy, the most boring fruit on the planet, yes?) Stay tomato-free for a while and see if things ease. If they do, then try eating one or two and see if anything flares as a result. We are all different in what, and in how, we react to stuff. I hope things ease soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Hi , Sugarbuttie , I have RA and find that uncooked tomatoes are one of my no no foods ; cooked are ok in small quantities . I also avoid dairy foods , citrus , potatoes ,aubergines and alcohol . Having said that , we are all very different , some people are affected by other food stuffs and many find that diet plays no part at all in managing their arthritis ; guess it's all trial and error ! Jillyb
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sugarbuttie,

There is nothing like eating a freshly picked tomato. :wink::wink:
    I have oa and when I eat lots of home grown tomatoes I do notice a change for the worse, unfortunately. But I cannot resist them, I am prepared to suffer in relative silence because eating a homegrown, beef tomato, is bliss.

I do hope your feet calm down soon, :wink:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I love tomatoes, sugarbuttie, but they are very acidic. I think they're regarded as dodgy for arthritis. I tend to find if I eat too many my stomach objects before my joints join in.

Moderation in all things. So, so boring.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    HI Sugarbuttie

I keep off tomatoes and oranges/grapefruit completely (I have RA)..

I also can't tolerate spicy food - within a few hours of eating a curry I used to get a flare up...

Marion
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Aye, I've heard the same about tomatoes, red peppers and also that pork can cause imflammation.

I avoid them all now however don't know if it works or not or just my meds!

I guess leave them out for a few weeks then have another tomato fest as see what happens!

Hope you are feeling some pain relief now.

Carol
  • fudge
    fudge Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Hello, pleased you enjoyed the tomatoes so much, Oooooo those vine ones are soooooooooo tasty. My tongue loves them, other parts of the body object. I have heard that putting sugar on them helps reduce the acid, all very well if you are cooking them - not so sure I fancy tomato and sugar sandwich though :lol:

Red meat gives me the worst problem pain wise - we could go mad keeping a diary every day of the foods we eat, how we feel, which could be causing what and then add in what stress could be doing - and how long it took each thing to cause the reaction - and did it react to what we had with it :roll: Think I got that in some sort of order :???: maybe I just lost the plot or maybe I just like tomatoes and give in to temptation now and then :wink:

Hope you feeling better now.

fudge
  • cpontefract
    cpontefract Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Thankfully i hate tomatoes anyway, but ive found that most seeds and fruit&veg with skins cause me to flam-up!
    Also anything with high levels of fats, like bacon, or anything cooked in fat!
    Claire
    Keep Smiling :D