OA in neck/jaw?

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 21. May 2011, 18:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I have a question :smile:

For the 3rd time now in the last couple of months, I've had a strange feeling in my throat. It always happens when my jaw and/or neck giving me jip. I think it's more related to my neck. My throat feels odd and it actually narrows-it gets very uncomfortable to swallow and eating can be painful. Sometimes my food takes ages to go down the back of my throat, that's why I know it's narrowed. I'm wondering whether there is inflammation from my neck causing swelling? Anyone else get this feeling?

Ta xx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Magenta
    There are quite a few people on here with Arthur in there jaw, so I do hope they see this and can help with some advice.
    It must be so scary for you,I would have a word with my GP if I were you, I know its not easy keep going to see them, but sometimes needs must.
    Please let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Hi Magenta

I have posted a thread similar to yours, I am having problems with stiffness in my neck and am finding it hard to swallow the same as you the food goes to the back of my throat but is an effort getting it down. When I have a meal I start off ok its about half way through I start to struggle swallowing. Toast in the morning is a nightmare.

I went to my Dr who checked my tonsils and they were fine they upped my opresmozol in case my naproxin was causing some inflammation in my throat tubes so have to see if there is an improvement in 4 weeks otherwise I may have to have a camera down to see what's going on.

I feel for you and everyone else that is or has had trouble swallowing as its not a nice experience when you cant enjoy your food or swallow normal.
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi Barbara and Justin,

I've seen Justins post, it is very odd isn't it?

My problem comes and goes. Usually when my jaw starts to 'kick off', my neck joins in (how nice!). I get the usual pain and stiffness in my joints and can't turn my head etc and that's when the throat thing starts. It feels like I'm starting a cold but I'm not. The area all around my ears (inside and out) and down the side of my neck feel swollen-that's why I'm confused whether it's my jaw or my neck causing it. I then get the difficulty in swallowing. It only lasts a couple of days and subsides when my other pain and swelling goes. It's not nice. I'm going to my dr on Wednesday so I'll ask her then.

Thanks,
    Magenta xx
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    I have neck pain at the moment and like you say I seem to want to liquidise food just to make it easier to get down (this way would be quicker) but I hope you are feeling better of this soon as its no good on top of other aches and pains we have to get through :smile: