No Loo

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 22. May 2011, 13:05 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

Last night our loo packed up, the handle had gone all floppy and it flushed its last at 6.30pm....Despite all of my dad's efforts it is dead as doornail....We called local firm who fitted it 2 years ago, they dont work weekends, so its till monday we are putting down bucketloads of water...
Have already visited asda's ones this morning when got up...

Elainex

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    poor you but bucket does work and at least you have loo imagine life with out hope it something and nothing to repair val
    val
  • fudge
    fudge Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Oooooo dear elaine you do seem to be having a rough run of things at the moment, maybe a case of getting them all out of the way then you can enjoy a balmy carefree summer - tall order ehhh :roll:

Hope you get sorted out early on monday and it is not too big a problem to solve - or too costly :!:

Be kind to yourself in other ways to take your mind off it if you can,

fudge
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Val

Well yeah i know but its a pretty basic thing aint it? And i know many moons ago folk shared outside loos but ive never known that...

Elainex
    valval wrote:
    poor you but bucket does work and at least you have loo imagine life with out hope it something and nothing to repair val
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Fudge

Well yes they say things happen in three's dont they and had two....Dreading what last one is!
    Couldnt believe the plumber doesnt do weekends?? Hello, money, a need....?
    Roll on monday morning...the bathroom floor is soaked from all them damn buckets!

Elainex
    fudge wrote:
    Oooooo dear elaine you do seem to be having a rough run of things at the moment, maybe a case of getting them all out of the way then you can enjoy a balmy carefree summer - tall order ehhh :roll:

Hope you get sorted out early on monday and it is not too big a problem to solve - or too costly :!:

Be kind to yourself in other ways to take your mind off it if you can,

fudge
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Good idea using Asdas I hope its not far to go...I hope you get it fixed soon...or they will start charging you...sorry I am in one of those moods :grin:
    Love
    Barbara
  • kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    Options
    Hope it gets sorted asap for you xx
    event.png
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    your so right it is a basic thing and something we all take for granted these days untill it isn't working. Hope you get it sorted soon. :smile:
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Repairing a broken flush handle is fairly straightforward as the handle arm often snaps off just inside the cistern or the trip lever breaks.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-replace-a-broken-flush-handle

The toilet can be flushed by hand until it is repaired. Remove the cistern lid and pull up on the chain or wire loop inside, that will then directly activate the flush.
    Josephm0310.gif
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Oh dear, thats not good. In my house the loss of a toilet would be terrible with us all. Your certainly going to get yourself some muscles just for going to the toilet. Hope it's repaired for you sooner rather than later

KKaren xx
    Karen xx
  • valval
    Options
    the old style toilet best where you can remove top some of new ones difficult to deal with have often sorted ours
    val
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

Well its round corner and they wont charge me plus would get ome fruit or something.....

Elainex
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    Good idea using Asdas I hope its not far to go...I hope you get it fixed soon...or they will start charging you...sorry I am in one of those moods :grin:
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Me too this bucket is bloody heavy!!!

Elainex
    kneegirl wrote:
    Hope it gets sorted asap for you xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Carol

yeah I know its so basic its annoying but tomorrow this time will be fixed hoepfully....

Elainex
    Turbogran wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    your so right it is a basic thing and something we all take for granted these days untill it isn't working. Hope you get it sorted soon. :smile:
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Handle has not broken and my dad who was an engineer has tried all things to rectify it such as whqat youve suggested...So obviosuly it isnt as simple as you are making out!!!

Will pass on the link thanks.....

Elainex
    Repairing a broken flush handle is fairly straightforward as the handle arm often snaps off just inside the cistern or the trip lever breaks.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-replace-a-broken-flush-handle

The toilet can be flushed by hand until it is repaired. Remove the cistern lid and pull up on the chain or wire loop inside, that will then directly activate the flush.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Karen

Well yeah who needs gym when lifting heavy bucklet multipple times a day eh????
    Roll on tomorrow...

Elainex
    constable wrote:
    Oh dear, thats not good. In my house the loss of a toilet would be terrible with us all. Your certainly going to get yourself some muscles just for going to the toilet. Hope it's repaired for you sooner rather than later

KKaren xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Well yes i agree but as its my dads house he wants to stick with one who installed bathroom, had it been up to me id have been scouring yellow pages but me dads loyal and has lived in times with outside loos.....

Its fresh as daisy just now we are chucking them bucketloads down with olympic force!!!

Elainex
    rehab44 wrote:
    Surely there must be more than one plumber in your area?
    It could be kinda ripe by Monday, but you do have my sympathy :grin:
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Well rest of family are laughing cos they all have modern houses withy more than one loo....Oh the luxuries!!

Elainex
    valval wrote:
    the old style toilet best where you can remove top some of new ones difficult to deal with have often sorted ours
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    OH POOR ELAINE
    I am only a few years older than you and I have had the pleasure of sharing an outside loo at the bottom of the yard with another family, I say pleasure as it brings back memories of times when neigbours were so much closer and the world seemed a much nicer place. I agree with Joseph, and if that did not work I would fiddle with it till it did work, the inside of the cistern is all machanical and thefore not mystical what you see is what you get. Another one to try is the diaphram if you go to somewhere like B& you know what you will find them in packs of usually two complete with instructions on how to fit and the only cost pennies so if not that not a lot is lost. Ho by the way I am an helplles little woman. No disrespect to your dad but I have found that engieers of his age tend to focus on there own field whereas younger enigneers have had to multi task and so see things differently. You are lucky that your toilet is in the bathroom so not too far to carry water. I know families from Africa and they would think they lived in 'the palace' if the had any sort of water for any purpose in thier home.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Well I havent ever experienced an outside loo, nearest to that was on holiday when went to toilet block when about six years old and yes world was better, kinder place.
    I can also say honestly that my dad has tried all commutations he can think to rectify this problem and has as yet failed...So maybe as you say you would fidle with it till it worked, well sometimes that doesnt happen with all the best efforts. He has fixed many things in the house but this one has puzzled him and i can tell you he has fixed many a thing a younger so called more clued up person has failed to do on previous occasions. Sometimes its not as simple as, you never know do you?
    Thanks also for comments on people in poorer countries, a very obscure comparison but one all the same.

Elainex
    lululu wrote:
    OH POOR ELAINE
    I am only a few years older than you and I have had the pleasure of sharing an outside loo at the bottom of the yard with another family, I say pleasure as it brings back memories of times when neigbours were so much closer and the world seemed a much nicer place. I agree with Joseph, and if that did not work I would fiddle with it till it did work, the inside of the cistern is all machanical and thefore not mystical what you see is what you get. Another one to try is the diaphram if you go to somewhere like B& you know what you will find them in packs of usually two complete with instructions on how to fit and the only cost pennies so if not that not a lot is lost. Ho by the way I am an helplles little woman. No disrespect to your dad but I have found that engieers of his age tend to focus on there own field whereas younger enigneers have had to multi task and so see things differently. You are lucky that your toilet is in the bathroom so not too far to carry water. I know families from Africa and they would think they lived in 'the palace' if the had any sort of water for any purpose in thier home.
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Like I said it is machanical not mystical you can see what the problem is. It is very likely that the plummer would not come out because it is such an easy quick fix problam that he would not be able charge enough to disrupt his weekend. I have renovated a house with never enough money and so I have refitt a bathroom and ony had help with the electrics. It really is easy If this was next weekend I would offer to do it for you as am visiting friends in Kendal and staying with other friends in Ambleside. You could have a fiddle as sometimes the obvious is not obvious and if you manage to fix it you will feel so good.
  • fudge
    fudge Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Hello elaine, bet it has been a long w/e for you, hauling buckets of water is no fun, and the floor to clean up afterwards.

A TWO year old toilet should not be breaking down, it could be a manufacturing problem, or it could be an installation problem, either way, the people to sort it are them that purchased it - installed it - and asked you to pay the bill :!:

I hope they are reasonable about this, don't go on about you should not have messed about trying to fix it and have therefore waived any right to have it sorted out without further cost to you, 2 yrs old :roll: they don't make things to last like they used to, but a toilet for goodness sake :shock: I will go with a component failure from manufacturer.

Not much longer to wait now - hang in there :smile:

fudge
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Well yes know whats in a loo and like I said before we have tried all solutions we can think of. As for plumber coming out....The firm we had it installed with dont work weekends so it wouldnt matter what it was they are a mon to friday firm.....
    Well done you renovating your house and being a jackess of all trades....My father is very handy though and has worked in all areas of his profession, he is no dumb-dumb, he knows what should be working and he has exhausted it all. He is also not out of touch with things and has fixed many a loo and white goods in my sisters houses.....So you see we have as you put it fiddled but the thing is broken.....

elainex
    lululu wrote:
    Like I said it is machanical not mystical you can see what the problem is. It is very likely that the plummer would not come out because it is such an easy quick fix problam that he would not be able charge enough to disrupt his weekend. I have renovated a house with never enough money and so I have refitt a bathroom and ony had help with the electrics. It really is easy If this was next weekend I would offer to do it for you as am visiting friends in Kendal and staying with other friends in Ambleside. You could have a fiddle as sometimes the obvious is not obvious and if you manage to fix it you will feel so good.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Fudge

Its been okay we have gotten used to chucking the water down, it makes a mess though (maybe its my aim)?
    No I agree a two year old loo shouldnt pack in, things now are rubbish..I remember in my ex flat, a new build well if you went no 2 itdidnt go...had foreman in and he said oh its just the way it is to which we asked him if it were his would he be happy with it? Turned out the trick was to flush it then mid flush, double flush it??? What a load of ****!!! ****???
    The guy who installed it is a local lad, he is okay, wont rip us off....But still be glad when its back to its normal self!

Elainex
    fudge wrote:
    Hello elaine, bet it has been a long w/e for you, hauling buckets of water is no fun, and the floor to clean up afterwards.

A TWO year old toilet should not be breaking down, it could be a manufacturing problem, or it could be an installation problem, either way, the people to sort it are them that purchased it - installed it - and asked you to pay the bill :!:

I hope they are reasonable about this, don't go on about you should not have messed about trying to fix it and have therefore waived any right to have it sorted out without further cost to you, 2 yrs old :roll: they don't make things to last like they used to, but a toilet for goodness sake :shock: I will go with a component failure from manufacturer.

Not much longer to wait now - hang in there :smile:

fudge
  • valval
    Options
    hi hang in there not long now. it always difficult when it not your toilet.
    if your dad like mine he can repaire most things if something comes up he can not repaire it few and far between. these new toilets not always made to repair easy like most things these days parts tend to be disposable and all of it has to be replaced hang in there nearly time for it all to be over val
    val
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Val

Yes things change such as if a car doesnt start it doesnt always mean its the battery or the alternator, things can be more complex now.

Yes my dad is great and he fixes most things, I will not have a word said against him, he is no fool or mug and is brilliant for his age. I think sometimes too much said can be done so in haste...

thanks for your reply

Elainex
    valval wrote:
    hi hang in there not long now. it always difficult when it not your toilet.
    if your dad like mine he can repaire most things if something comes up he can not repaire it few and far between. these new toilets not always made to repair easy like most things these days parts tend to be disposable and all of it has to be replaced hang in there nearly time for it all to be over val