Hard to swallow

Options
justinbarrow
justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
edited 22. May 2011, 03:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
For about a month now I have found it really hard to swallow and eating takes longer, Its like the food goes to the back of my throat and I feel like its stuck and about to gag it only happens once I get half way through a meal. I would have 2 slices of toast and the first would be ok but on the second slice i get these symptoms.

Drinking liquids is fine so I went to the Dr who said that it may be due to me not taking my opresmozol regularly as diclofenac and naproxin can be quite hard on the oesophagus and stomach he checked my tonsils and they were fine.

They have upped my does of opresmozol and if its no better i about a month I have to go back and then may have to have a camera down to see whats going on.

Has anyone here ever had trouble swallowing foods, I hope it isnt caused by my meds, Dr says it will do me good (might lose a few pounds in weight) :smile:

Will have to see what happens but I dont look forward to eating now.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    How strange if you go down , and looked for magenta she has posted nearly the same, she thinks it may be due to arthur in her jaw.
    I told her to go and see her GP, so hopefully she will come back with some answers.
    I do hope things improve very soon, and let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Yes I have had this problemon and off over 11 years. And toast is one thing that aggravates it. I haven't found out what it is but currently having checks for asthma. I do not know if they are related.
    I have to take a drink with me everywhere. On the few occassions I forgot I couldn't swallow air let alone food and had to dive into a shop quick to buy a drink quick.

And of course the more you worry about choking the worse the problem gets.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, I have trouble swallowing, mine is down to my dry mouth caused by sjorgens. I have a drink with me everywhere, and have artifical saliva etc.

It is a very troublesome symptom, I hope they get to the bottom of it for you.
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    Thanks everyone, seems like a few of us have problems swallowing. Toast is a nightmare so just having things like weatabix thats a bit easier to swallow in the morning. We do a roast each weekend and that is troublesome I am like the last one to finish at school dinners (the one that takes the longest) :smile: I will keep you posted on how things.
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi,

I've posted a reply to you on my thread!
    I just wanted to say it must be horrible dealing with this all the time, I only get it every now and then. Because of my jaw I too am always last at the table, sometimes I feel like liquidising my dinner :smile:
    Take care and let me know how you get on,
    Magenta x
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hi,
    I feel like liquidising my dinner :smile:
    Take care and let me know how you get on,
    Magenta x

Thanks, I also feel like its better to swish food around so its easier to swallow :sad: not good.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    H Justin,

I had something similar. Waited months to have the camera and by then it had calmed down so not really any wiser. There was some idea it was the pa going after the vocal cord thing but now they have fond a few other problems and it might have been that I guess though it was before that came along.

I hope they will be bale to help and please let us know how you get one please. Cris x